Sleepwalker Build

My current PC Build that I named "Sleepwalker" since it looks so plain on the outside but is absolutely amazing. I'm looking for recommendations so please comment!

Specs:

MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition Mobo

Intel i5-4690k (OC'd to 3.9GHz)

EVGA GTX970 FTW GPU (OC'd to 1350mhz)

16GB (4x4) Kingston Hyperx Fury RAM (1866mhz)

Corsair H100i GTX sealed CPU Cooler

Corsair Custom Sleeved White Cables

Corsair AF120mm (x2) Fans

Team 120gb SSD

WD Blue 1tb HDD

Corsair RM850 PSU (Gold+)

NZXT S340 Case (White)

20160410_123840.jpg

20160410_123910.jpg

20160410_123921.jpg

20160410_124051.jpg

20160410_124324.jpg

Mobo: MSI Krait Z97S Sli Edition // CPU: Intel i5-4690k // GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW // RAM: 4x 4GB Hyperx Fury // PSU: Corsair RM850 // CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX // Drives: 1x Team 120GB SSD; 1x 1TB WD Blue // Case: NZXT S340

3 minutes ago, iHyperion said:

It's... it's... beautiful!

Killer build! I love the two-tone white and blue thing you did with the RAM.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

first thing,

when i read the name, i thought its a build with a ton of wire connected to it, and will trip a sleepwalker if he is sleepwalking at night `-`

second,

the blue on the gpu and ram is a bad move imo

should've gone full black white :P

or add more blues so it wouldnt stand out like a sore thumb lol

but awesome build nonetheless!

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Can I ask why you've only Oc'd to 3.9Ghz?  the turbo goes to pretty much that, so seems a bit pointless.. I have my 4670K OC'd to 4.4 on air cooling and it's still got a little headroom.

Otherwise it's a nice build, clean cable management etc... looks lovely :)

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

my PC is more of a sleeper TBH, it looks like utter shit but here are the specs:

I5 4690K clocked at 4.7Ghz @ 1.35V

GTX 970 G1 1629Mhz core 3.6Ghz memory(IIRC might be 3.4Ghz memory)

64GB ADATA SSD

1TB toshiba HDD

ASRock Z97 anniversary motherboard

be quiet Shadow Rock 2

EVGA supernova 650W

wifi card that sucks 

old ass sound card

pair that with a really old shitty case and no cable management what so ever and it looks like it belongs in a dumpster but preforms awesome xD

i honestly wouldent call your PC a sleeper in any way because it looks to fancy to be shit but feel free to call it whatever you want, my PC is called SLUUMO-PC for some in explicable reason so thats what i call it :P

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I forgot to mention, the Corsair Custom Sleeved Cables are EXTREMELY frustrating to line up perfectly in a uniform way when plugging them in!

Mobo: MSI Krait Z97S Sli Edition // CPU: Intel i5-4690k // GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW // RAM: 4x 4GB Hyperx Fury // PSU: Corsair RM850 // CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX // Drives: 1x Team 120GB SSD; 1x 1TB WD Blue // Case: NZXT S340

1 hour ago, iHyperion said:

I forgot to mention, the Corsair Custom Sleeved Cables are EXTREMELY frustrating to line up perfectly in a uniform way when plugging them in!

you can buy cable combs :P

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Cable combs?

2 hours ago, paddy-stone said:

Can I ask why you've only Oc'd to 3.9Ghz?  the turbo goes to pretty much that, so seems a bit pointless.. I have my 4670K OC'd to 4.4 on air cooling and it's still got a little headroom.

Otherwise it's a nice build, clean cable management etc... looks lovely :)

I only OC'd to 3.9Ghz because that's what the MSI mobo defaults to when I use the OC Genie. I could OC more, but I'm not sure the limits of my 4690k. Any advice? I'm not sure I would even notice, although it would help with post processing of photo editing.

I have the gaming 5 z97 MSI and the OC genie is utter crap.... much easier to set it in the UEFI/BIOS, just set the multiplier to something like 40... test for stability. Then if stable go back into the bios (this is where I would save an OC profile as you know it's stable), and add another +1 to the multiplier etc.. do this until the OC isn't stable and you get the BSOD... then go back to the last stable OC and either leave it like that, or start to add power to the vcore a little at a time with that OC until it's stable.. repeat as needed.

If you have a decent cooler like you have, you should be able to OC to approx 4.4Ghz with no problems whatsover, after that it's down to stability and adding power to the chip... I may have over-simplified the adding power part, so do that at your own behest. But the multiplier part is so simple honestly, just turn off OC genie (you may need to clear the CMOS for that), and turn off CPU turbo, but leave stepping on... that way the CPU will go to the highest OC you want it too when done, but when not needed the CPU will still lower the multiplier (stepping) on it's own to save power when not needed... and then go up again to your OC when needed.

Spoiler
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Forgot to say that adding voltage may shorten the lifespan of your CPU, but adding to the multiplier is like extra performance for free... a little amount of extra voltage shouldn't harm the chip just to get it stable.. I added a little to mine to get the 4.4Ghz stable OC and it's fine, mine is similar chip to yours by the way, I have the 4670K... if not sure of something then ask here and people will try to help you.

I must stress though , that it's better before attempting any changes to the system to make a backup just in case. It takes like 10 mins max to make a backup image in most cases, so well worth the time.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

24 minutes ago, paddy-stone said:

Forgot to say that adding voltage may shorten the lifespan of your CPU, but adding to the multiplier is like extra performance for free... a little amount of extra voltage shouldn't harm the chip just to get it stable.. I added a little to mine to get the 4.4Ghz stable OC and it's fine, mine is similar chip to yours by the way, I have the 4670K... if not sure of something then ask here and people will try to help you.

I must stress though , that it's better before attempting any changes to the system to make a backup just in case. It takes like 10 mins max to make a backup image in most cases, so well worth the time.

I completely agree. I'm not looking for max performance, just a marginal upgrade to the stock speed of the CPU. OC .4ghz already has impressed me, other than my post processing speeds but not much else I can do there on this architecture (trying to avoid the [price] of skylake for as long as I can). The only thing I ever add voltage to is the GPU because it affects the OC ability directly, especially something with a high power draw like the GTX 970 (though evga says it is the most efficient in the class with the ACX 2.0 cooler).

That's cool, yeah just give it a try. I used the OC genie once to see what it did, and it was utter crap seriously, I think it also went to 4Ghz or something.. so just went into the BIOS and increased the multiplier to start with (afetr clearing CMOS as it was the only way to get rid of persistent settings that were fouling me up) and got it to 4.3 stable and 4.4 got BSOD, so went back into settings went back to 4.3 and did very thorough testing and it was indeed stable, so then increased multiplier to 44 again and increased the vcore a little and tested... still unstable... increased vcore a little more.. and so on until I got 4.4Ghz stable.

Seriously though, if you want to save yourself some hassle make backups please... http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html 

is good and free, have used it many times and is easy to work with, you can create a boot USB pendrive that you boot from in the event of a failure so that you can restore an image to your drive and get back to where you were when you created the image. Has come in useful for me before when I had a hard drive failure, just swapped in a new SSD and ran the boot drive and selected the backup image I wanted (stored on an external USB drive) and selected the new SSD as the target.

Anyway, wouldn't worry about it too much, OCing isn't going to ruin your computer or anything, it's just a habit that's good to get into at least once in a while, can save you tons of time from having to re-install windows/drivers/programs updates etc.

Spoiler
  •  
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  •  
  •  
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini