What if... HBM on motherboards

What do you guys think the idea of motherboard manufacturers replacing DDR4 and substituing HBM. How much more expensive could these boards be? Could this even happen and would there be any performance increase?  

i dont think i like the idea of soldered on ram

and if HBM were to be used by the cpu, its more likely to be sold with intel's processor than being on the motherboard tbh

like how the HBM chips are next to the die on the gpu

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

doubt it would happen, Not many people need that kind of bandwidth.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I could see it on a SOC for a laptop, like the Macbook/iPhone/Android phone or something. Even then I agree non of those applications really need that much bandwidth.

Useless. The whole point of HBM/HBM2 is that it is right next to the chip. So It is Intel/AMD that have to include it in their CPU.

Also, there is no advantage to those for CPUs (at least right now). CPUs wants low latency, not high bandwidth. HBM is focused on providing maximum bandwidth, not lower latency. GPU works with textures. Textures are big, takes time to load, and work with. So high memory speed on GPUs is important.

If we look at gaming console, we see it better.

The XBox One uses DDR3 memory, while the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory, both of their memory are shared between the CPU and GPU, they both have similar hardware beside that. The XBox One has this great OS, very entertainment feature focused., while the PS4 is limited to keep things simple and can only focus on gaming. Why? Complex software that the XBox One runs (such as Windows, with all its features, running other software, and universal apps soon), requires for the CPU lots of small calculations. So it loves the fact that it has DDR3 memory, and not GDRR5. BUT, the XBox One GPU is suffering, as it wants bandwidth, but it doesn't' have it. Forcing game developer to reduce gaming visuals on the console to allow the game run smoothly and more consistently.

The PS4 is the reverse. The GDDR5 benefits greatly the GPU, but it forces Sony not have a fancy OS like the XBox One. They are getting away with game AI and physics, and anything other thing a game pushes the CPU to do, as it is not actually heavy demand. Games aren't pushing the CPU to start with, so Sony is lucky in hiding the issue.

But if we were to developer this big physics simulation that uses the CPU to calculate everything, then it would run better on the XBox One than on the PS4, due to the memory it has.

We can see as another proof, it is for a reason why our computers never used GDDR5 RAM modules, and opt for DDR instead.

3 hours ago, Buttered said:

What do you guys think the idea of motherboard manufacturers replacing DDR4 and substituing HBM. How much more expensive could these boards be? Could this even happen and would there be any performance increase?  

15 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Useless. The whole point of HBM/HBM2 is that it is right next to the chip. So It is Intel/AMD that have to include it in their CPU.

Also, there is no advantage to those for CPUs (at least right now). CPUs wants low latency, not high bandwidth. HBM is focused on providing maximum bandwidth, not lower latency. GPU works with textures. Textures are big, takes time to load, and work with. So high memory speed on GPUs is important.

If we look at gaming console, we see it better.

The XBox One uses DDR3 memory, while the PS4 uses GDDR5 memory, both of their memory are shared between the CPU and GPU, they both have similar hardware beside that. The XBox One has this great OS, very entertainment feature focused., while the PS4 is limited to keep things simple and can only focus on gaming. Why? Complex software that the XBox One runs (such as Windows, with all its features, running other software, and universal apps soon), requires for the CPU lots of small calculations. So it loves the fact that it has DDR3 memory, and not GDRR5. BUT, the XBox One GPU is suffering, as it wants bandwidth, but it doesn't' have it. Forcing game developer to reduce gaming visuals on the console to allow the game run smoothly and more consistently.

The PS4 is the reverse. The GDDR5 benefits greatly the GPU, but it forces Sony not have a fancy OS like the XBox One. They are getting away with game AI and physics, and anything other thing a game pushes the CPU to do, as it is not actually heavy demand. Games aren't pushing the CPU to start with, so Sony is lucky in hiding the issue.

But if we were to developer this big physics simulation that uses the CPU to calculate everything, then it would run better on the XBox One than on the PS4, due to the memory it has.

We can see as another proof, it is for a reason why our computers never used GDDR5 RAM modules, and opt for DDR instead.

GoodBytes beat me too it...  The idea of HBM is to make the traces shorter, so you can actually up the frequencies.

Although another good question is why cant we just double the die space and do it then?  haha

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE