Intel 750 400GB vS Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

Hi Guys,

I want to upgrade my ssd and I am between these two

Intel 750 400GB

Samsung 950 Pro 512GB

What's your opinion ?

Note that I have the X99 Deluxe and the 5820K

Depends on the ratio of price : how much of those extra 112 gigs you will actually use. Also I would recommend an 850 evo, 950's are overkill if you ask me.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

I'd go with the Samsung. It's easy math in terms of finding the value.

The Samsung 950 gets about 1.6 Gigabytes per dollar where the Intel delivers about 1.3 gigabytes per dollar.

Even though it wont really matter the Samsung offers a little bit more reads even though you won't practically that much of a difference.

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Depends on the ratio of price : how much of those extra 112 gigs you will actually use. Also I would recommend an 850 evo, 950's are overkill if you ask me.

the price is allmost the same I will spend around 400 euro

As for the capacity both are perfect for me

I care about the performace and I for the model because in intel's side there are a lot ofmodes and I don't know which one is the best

If you're going for speed, I would go for the Intel. I think you can get more speed from a PCIE 4x slot than an m.2 slot and that drive takes advantage of it. That being said, both of them are insanely fast because they use nvme. You'll be fine with either. 

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If you're going for speed, I would go for the Intel. I think you can get more speed from a PCIE 4x slot than an m.2 slot and that drive takes advantage of it. That being said, both of them are insanely fast because they use nvme. You'll be fine with either. 

The samsung one has higher read speeds. 2500 compared to 2200. They also both run on PCIE Gen3 4x. The type of slot has nothing to do with the speed. Do the research. For sure go with the samsung if you want more performance. Also happens to be a better value

Current Rig (rekt)

Core i7 6950x; Asus ROG Rampage V Edition 10;  Corsair Dominatior Platinum 64gb (4x16); Nvidia Gtx Titan X (Pascal) x2; Lian Li PC-08WBW;

Just now, Hackentosher said:

even if I pick the samsung I will use that adepter which comes with my motherboard

ASUS-X99-DELUXE-M2-Add-in-PCIe-Card.jpg

3 minutes ago, ToUtSi said:

even if I pick the samsung I will use that adepter which comes with my motherboard

ASUS-X99-DELUXE-M2-Add-in-PCIe-Card.jpg

No need to do that, again they both run on PCIE gen3 4x. 

According to the specifications, the Samsung is faster.

Current Rig (rekt)

1 minute ago, ToUtSi said:

Oh okay, that works. Do you have a heatsink? I heard that part of the appeal to putting an m.2 drive in a PCIE slot was that it offers more potential for cooling and therefore more stable performance. I'm sure you'll be fine without one though.

ASU

You wouldn't have to use the adapter. They are connected via the same bus. 

You wouldn't need a heat sink either. It doesn't run really hot to the point where it would start to hold back performance.

Current Rig (rekt)

That's why I am asking ....

I want to know if there are issues such as the one you just described. ...

Let's compare the drives 

Samsung  Vs Intel 

512 GB vs 400gb

2.5 GB read vs 2.2gb read 

1.5GB write vs 0.9gb write 

300.000 vs 430.000 4k random read 

110.000 vs 230.000 4k random write 

I heard a lot about the heat in these new nvme drives does anyone have one and how about the temperatures  ?

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Oh okay, that works. Do you have a heatsink? I heard that part of the appeal to putting an m.2 drive in a PCIE slot was that it offers more potential for cooling and therefore more stable performance. I'm sure you'll be fine without one though.

3 minutes ago, ToUtSi said:

That's why I am asking ....

I want to know if there are issues such as the one you just described. ...

Let's compare the drives 

Samsung  Vs Intel 

512 GB vs 400gb

2.5 GB read vs 2.2gb read 

1.5GB write vs 0.9gb write 

300.000 vs 430.000 4k random read 

110.000 vs 230.000 4k random write 

I heard a lot about the heat in these new nvme drives does anyone have one and how about the temperatures  ?

Ask your self this will you be copying 100gb+ in one copy session?

6 minutes ago, Kulegamez said:

You wouldn't have to use the adapter. They are connected via the same bus. 

You wouldn't need a heat sink either. It doesn't run really hot to the point where it would start to hold back performance.

That's great because it will fits on the m.2 slot on the motherboard ....

Also I want to ask because my 5820k supports only 28 PCIE lanes I will have only one graphic card (x16) and the drive (x4) so I have space for another one m.2 ssd for a raid am I right ?

1 minute ago, RZeroX said:

Ask your self this will you be copying 100gb+ in one copy session?

Very rarely and only from my network drive to aN usb drive 

That's great because it will fits on the m.2 slot on the motherboard ....

Also I want to ask because my 5820k supports only 28 PCIE lanes I will have only one graphic card (x16) and the drive (x4) so I have space for another one m.2 ssd for a raid am I right ?

Well another m.2 drive will take up more PCIE lanes. You really don't want to RAID m.2 drives because they're fast enough as it is, and it's just not practical to get enough of them to setup a redundant setup.

ASU

Very rarely and only from my network drive to aN usb drive 

Then you won't have any problems with thermals then.

Yes you would be able to put another m.2 drive in. About the raid, I'm not sure. I think it is possible but it might be something that depends if your motherboard can support it. I think it could but don't quote me on it.  

Current Rig (rekt)

So

Samsung 950 512gb at m.2 

As I understand intel is more powerfull at large files copying and it will be a waste of money for me 

Thanks a lot guys!!!!

It will be a huge step since I am using an Intel 330 now :P