Microsoft lowering *all* existing OneDrive(Free) accounts to 5GB on July 13, 2016

11 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

But I have like 20GB of photos. Are they going to hold it ransom until I pay up?!

If you pass the limit, you'll be able to read all your files, but can't add anymore files until you make room.

19 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

If you pass the limit, you'll be able to read all your files, but can't add anymore files until you make room.

Ah.... What does it amount to if I have 30GB currently? 

On April 8, 2016 at 8:32 PM, Briggsy said:

onedrive.jpg

Just after we heard of changes to Outlook, Microsoft have quietly emailed some/many of us about upcoming changes to OneDrive. This change does not come as news to many, as evidenced by this Arstechnica article from November 2015, but it appears that the changes are now rolling out.

Looking at the OneDrive Plans page, creating a free OneDrive account is indeed limited to 5GB now. Also noteworthy is the complete discontinuation of the 15GB camera roll bonus.

as per the FAQ

I would hate to be a business user currently enjoying the unlimited storage with Many TB's of data on OneDrive, only to find out that my cloud storage is being cut down to 1TB. That is potentially disruptive. It also seems like they are sneakily suggesting to OneDrive Free users that they should try to go over the 5GB limit, so they will get 1 year free of Office 365. Sneaky indeed.

Although I am not personally affected by this (I'm completely tied into the google ecosystem), I would feel a little annoyed if I were using the Free 15+15GB OneDrive and Microsoft tells me my storage is being reduced to 5GB in a few months. It's not a classic case of bait and switch because we're talking about a free service here, but the intent is obviously to get people onto the $2/month 50GB storage plan, and potentially into the office 365 ecosystem. There are other free cloud storage services out there you can move your data to, but I imagine that in some cases people will not know about this change, and lose piles of photo's or other stuff they've backed up.

Microsoft lied to us about the offer to keep our storage.

17 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

Ah.... What does it amount to if I have 30GB currently? 

Same thing. I would look into pulling your pictures out and not rely on Microsoft keeping the extra data read only forever.

4 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

Microsoft lied to us about the offer to keep our storage.

Where?

2 minutes ago, Yongtjunkit said:

It was posted on many tech news sites, and here, about the opt-in program to keep your storage.

If you do, you keep your storage.

I don't see where Microsoft lied about it.

4 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

It was posted on many tech news sites, and here, about the opt-in program to keep your storage.

If you do, you keep your storage.

I don't see where Microsoft lied about it.

So if I opt in then will they cut my onedrive storage down to 5gb which is lower than it initially offer. If I was not mistaken, the reason that Microsoft increase the free users storage is to compete against google drive.

Just now, Yongtjunkit said:

So if I opt in then will they cut my onedrive storage down to 5gb which is lower than it initially offer. 

If you DO NOT opt in, they will cut your storage data limit. If you pass the limit once it is placed because you didn't remove your data, your data will STILL be accessible but your account will be read only, until you download and delete (or just delete if you don't care or already have it) data to free some space to be bellow the limit.

The offer has now expired (it did a while ago).

This has pretty much been known since mid-2015 and was well-publicized. It only took them a long time to actually implement it.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

meanwhile i just got 100GB of storage for 2 years, for free, from google by doing absolutely nothing. And i don't even use cloud storages

latest?cb=20160315234838 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

If you DO NOT opt in, they will cut your storage data limit. If you pass the limit once it is placed because you didn't remove your data, your data will STILL be accessible but your account will be read only, until you download and delete (or just delete if you don't care or already have it) data to free some space to be bellow the limit.

The offer has now expired (it did a while ago).

Ok, luckily I opt in so to confirm my storage will not cut my storage limit  to 5gb 

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:50 PM, chiwas said:

Someone is actually using OneDrive? :o

I do. I use it everyday of my life. Every document I ever write, every presentation or spreadsheet. AND more. Most of my stuff goes on OneDrive.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

15 hours ago, byalexandr said:

But I have like 20GB of photos. Are they going to hold it ransom until I pay up?!

pay for 50GB storage then. it's only $2 a month (OR join the Office 365 master race and pay $10/month for Office and 1TB OneDrive)

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

pay for 50GB storage then. it's only $2 a month (OR join the Office 365 master race and pay $10/month for Office and 1TB OneDrive)

My school gives me five copies of Office 365 Pro for free, is there any way I can transfer one of them to my personal OneDrive account?

16 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

My school gives me five copies of Office 365 Pro for free, is there any way I can transfer one of them to my personal OneDrive account?

I don't know. Sorry. You could try and ask Microsoft Tech support and they can tell you if you can or not.

I don't think it's possible but you should still ask anyways.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't know. Sorry. You could try and ask Microsoft Tech support and they can tell you if you can or not.

I don't think it's possible but you should still ask anyways.

I'll give it a try. I currently have it so I have my personal account on my OneDrive and I have 365 installed with my school account.

PSA:

It's nice to have confirmation, but people who have, back in 2015 (link1, link2) signed up to keep their free OneDrive on MS's website, get to keep the 30gigs  despite the new emails:

BiZRLzT.png

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

@ElfenSky I got my email yesterday as well, can confirm.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Eh doesn't bother me, it just makes Google Drive and Dropbox look like better options...

My school also uses Google Drive, so again it doesn't affect me.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Also just got that email, so it does seems like they aren't going to cut our extra storage that we opted-in to keep.

Then again, not like I was using it, but it's nice to know that it's "there", for my Windows Phone and Windows tablet. (x86)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Got the email as well. Kind of annoyed that you have to add your full name as well as credit card info to get your free Office 365, but I guess that's a fair deal.

2 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Got the email as well. Kind of annoyed that you have to add your full name as well as credit card info to get your free Office 365, but I guess that's a fair deal.

Be SURE the auto renew option isn't enabled.

On 20/04/2016 at 7:37 PM, ElfenSky said:

PSA:

It's nice to have confirmation, but people who have, back in 2015 (link1, link2) signed up to keep their free OneDrive on MS's website, get to keep the 30gigs  despite the new emails:

Found out you got to be using at-least 5gb.

I opted in to keep my free 15gb before they started cutting everybody elses. Just got an email from them yesterday about my account not being affected.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero