CPU Comparison for Gaming PC Build

Like everyone, I wanna build my own gaming computer, narrowed my search down between three, basically two CPU's. First, being the -Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake- and the other is the - Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E-. Main differences for me in the speed. Skylake runs at 4.0 GHz and Haswell runs at 3.3GHz. If anyone has any first hand experience with either or anything else I should look into please help out! Thanks!

What kind of workflow are you doing? Just gaming? Video Editing? What types of games?

If you're solely gaming, get the i7 6700K.

If you're doing some workstation-related things on the side, such as video editing, rendering etc., get the i7 5820K for its six cores.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, cdsboy2000 said:

What kind of workflow are you doing? Just gaming? Video Editing? What types of games?

I plan on gaming but recording my gameplay and possibly (most likely) video editing... oh and games such as LoL, Planetside 2, Division, Skyrim, etc.

2 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

I plan on gaming but recording my gameplay and possibly (most likely) video editing... oh and games such as LoL, Planetside 2, Division, Skyrim, etc.

The 5820k is better, but honestly I think the 6700K would do just fine for that. Depends on what you're willing to spend and what platform you want to be on (Skylake)

6 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

Like everyone, I wanna build my own gaming computer, narrowed my search down between three, basically two CPU's. First, being the -Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake- and the other is the - Intel Core i7-5820K Haswell-E-. Main differences for me in the speed. Skylake runs at 4.0 GHz and Haswell runs at 3.3GHz. If anyone has any first hand experience with either or anything else I should look into please help out! Thanks!

Nice to see a fellow Naruto fan!

Check out this site on benchmarks for both CPU's.

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5820K/3502vs2579

MSI Nightblade MI2

CPU: Intel i7 6700. Motherboard: MSI B060. RAM: 16GB HyperX Impact. GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970. Case: Nightblade MI2. Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue, OCZ 120GB and 125GB M.2. PSU: Custom 350w Bronze. Display(s): BenQ 24" & 50" Samsung TV. Keyboard: Logitech G15. Mouse: Logitech MX Revolution. Operating System: Windows 10 Pro x64

8 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

Skylake runs at 4.0 GHz and Haswell runs at 3.3GHz

doesnt really matter if you're overclocking lol

4 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

i suggest you go with the 6700k, the video might take a bit longer to render but it performs better in games

streaming wise, it'll do just fine

get the 5820k if you're rendering a lot of videos often

6700k if video editing is just a hobby

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

doesnt really matter if you're overclocking lol

i suggest you go with the 6700k, the video might take a bit longer to render but it performs better in games

streaming wise, it'll do just fine

get the 5820k if you're rendering a lot of videos often

6700k if video editing is just a hobby

Yeah, after looking at the benchmark I'm thinking about going with the 6700k. And yeah video editing isn't gonna be a priority for me at the moment at least.

I'd just go for the 5820k, due to the core count. It'll do better for the long haul, when you eventually upgrade again in the years to come.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

15 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

I'd just go for the 5820k, due to the core count. It'll do better for the long haul, when you eventually upgrade again in the years to come.

What does the core count contribute?

4 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

More cores = better performance with a program/game which can benefit from those extra 2 cores, with the additional hyperthreads. I.e, rendering a video would be faster on the i7 5820k, due to it's 6 cores, with 12 threads.

Also, with DirectX 12 around the corner, with newer games having better cpu utilization than the current DirectX 9/11 titles.

But to be entirely honest, i'd wait for AMD's Zen to come out, and see how those fare before putting a load of cash on an entirely new setup.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

10 minutes ago, teddy710 said:

The video editing side of things will be a bit zippier, and other production tasks that call for all threads on the CPU being used.

Now that the premium on Skylake has gone down a bit (the motherboards are a bit cheaper), there's probably a slightly better value in you getting the 6700k, but either chip is highly recommended.  Some people like the versatility in 12 threads and I can't argue with that.

6 minutes ago, Fulgrim said:

Also, with DirectX 12 around the corner, with newer games having better cpu utilization than the current DirectX 9/11 titles.

Developers still need to make their games work with more cores, so I wouldn't bank on it.  If we are banking on the future, then also consider that Skylake boards will likely be upgradable to Kaby Lake chips (but again, not guaranteed).

I would focus on the performance you're getting now, because both chips are going to go obsolete around the same time.