PC GAMES. Keyboard+Mouse Or Controller.

FluxxyTux

So, Yesterday I played Metal Gear Solid V - Ground Zeroes. I used the my STRAFE RGB Keyboard and Gaming Mouse(Custom-set DPI). 

I'm not much of a gamer, I loved the way I had control of the viewing angels and player position via the mouse, it felt natural. but what didn't feel natural was the Keyboard, I guess my issue was remembering the pre-set controls in game, I got the hang of it by the end of the main mission, but felt like a controller would have been better...

Should I get a controller like the Xbox One controller with PC Cable?

Keyboard+Mouse Or Controller? Which?

Why not try both and decide? Personally I use kb+mouse for the twitchy, high reflex games such as FPS and RTS(or moba..) while any console-y third person view games I enjoy laid back with a gamepad. Definitely not as responsive and moving the camera around cannot be compared with using the mouse, but on some games pulling moves and combos with a gamepad just feels so pleasing.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

Just now, FluxxyTux said:

So, Yesterday I played Metal Gear Solid V - Ground Zeroes. I used the my STRAFE RGB Keyboard and Gaming Mouse(Custom-set DPI). 

I'm not much of a gamer, I loved the way I had control of the viewing angels and player position via the mouse, it felt natural. but what didn't feel natural was the Keyboard, I guess my issue was remembering the pre-set controls in game, I got the hang of it by the end of the main mission, but felt like a controller would have been better...

Depends on the game....driving games are better with controllers...fps games are better with mouse + keyboard

Decide which games you play the most, or just get a xbox 360 controller for cheap anyway

Please vote for Donald Trump. I am out of sitcoms to watch.

When lyfe gives you HDDs, make SSDs

Spoiler

It really depends on personal preference; I prefer using a controller for story-driven action games such as Tomb Raider and Batman or racing games such as Rocket League. However, when playing strategy games or FPS's, I prefer using the keyboard and mouse because it is more accurate and it feels natural

So overall, it really depends on your choice of games but in this example, MGSV, I would have used a controller

If I have solved your issue, please mark the thread as solved! Thanks!

Depends on the game, for example I like KB+M for most stuff, except racing gams, third person games and 99% of the (console/handheld) emulated games.

But if I relax I may want to play an FPS with a controller too

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I couldn't play FPS with controller. But thats just because I've never played them on consoles or with controller. On the other hand racing, flying, fighting and most other arcade style games work better with controller when you don't have so many control options to begin with. Or need to accurate and fast movements.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

De[ends a lot. For most third person games I would say controller. For most shooters I would say mk, but even then there are exceptions. Last night I was playing Eldewito( Halo Online) and I found it much easier with controller probably since it was optimized for it. I also played New Vegas with controller because it was both what I was used to and less fatiguing. Strategy games usually seem to go better with mk though. And driving games flat out are way better with a controller.

2 minutes ago, Inkz said:

De[ends a lot. For most third person games I would say controller. For most shooters I would say mk, but even then there are exceptions. Last night I was playing Eldewito( Halo Online) and I found it much easier with controller probably since it was optimized for it. I also played New Vegas with controller because it was both what I was used to and less fatiguing. Strategy games usually seem to go better with mk though. And driving games flat out are way better with a controller.

Halo online? are you in russia?

Just now, Aytex said:

nice, ill try it out

last time i checked the localized version was down or something

I was just playing it last night, it was pretty good.

1 hour ago, FluxxyTux said:

In my opinion, PC gamers who intend to play a diverse range of games should be able to use both. Some really benefit from having analog control, and there's at least a degree of personal preference involved as well. You're not going to want to play Dark Souls or a racing game with a keyboard and mouse, and you're not going to want to play CS:GO or Civ V with a gamepad.

For my part, I found my Xbox pad was great for Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain until I had to shoot something. I cannot stand the feeling of trying to aim a gun with an analog stick, so I went back to mouse & keyboard for that game. But that's my own personal hang-up, not an issue with MGSV.

For a long time I played games on PC with M+KB, and console games with controllers, I guess just because that always felt like the default to me. But recently I've got to using a controller for as many platforms as I can, and if a game doesn't have controller support, I'll mod it in with Xpadder. Recently I've been playing SWTOR with a controller on the couch, and it's awesome to have that versatility where it wasn't as easily accessible before.

I also get a nostalgic feel from controller gaming - reminds me of when I used to game on N64 as kid, and now with emulators, having a controller is essential to reclaim that experience.

So that's my typical setup now - an Xbone controller (Or a Gamecube controller for certain games) wireless into my laptop, and HDMI out to my TV. Using Launchbox as the big picture UI, it's been a grand ol' time.

4 hours ago, Aytex said:

nice, ill try it out

last time i checked the localized version was down or something

Did it work for you?

I got the Xbox One Controller for Windows. MGSV seems great until you have to target and shoot.... I guess I will stick to keyboard and mouse on that game.

Grand Theif Auto certainly felt more comfortable via controller. Now I have both K+M and Controller... So each to there own preference I guess :)

37 minutes ago, FluxxyTux said:

I got the Xbox One Controller for Windows. MGSV seems great until you have to target and shoot.... I guess I will stick to keyboard and mouse on that game.

Grand Theif Auto certainly felt more comfortable via controller. Now I have both K+M and Controller... So each to there own preference I guess :)

It helps to use both. I can't handle not having analogue movement in that game, so I need the controller for getting around.

37 minutes ago, FluxxyTux said:

Ye man ! 

Mouse and keyboard for the shooters 

and controller for third person

also controller is more smooth when looking around and makes it look like a film haha

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

Depends on the game.

Almost always keyboard and mouse for me, but some games are excellent with both.

For example, Grand Theft Auto V. Keyboard/mouse for the on-foot and shooting parts, since the mouse provides far more precise aiming, especially in multiplayer modes. For driving and flying, controller for the stick.

I have both an Xbox One controller (with wireless adapter) and the Steam controller. For the most part, I use the Xbox controller.

But it's all up to your preference and what you prefer. I'll break down a few of what I prefer:

FPS - KB/M, always, no question, ever

RPG - I don't play many but if it's optimized for PC, then KB/M, as menu navigation is far easier

Racing - Controller for more precise movement (I don't play enough to warrant buying a wheel or joystick)

Platformer - Controller mostly

MMO - Obviously KB/M; controller would be okay if just wandering around

CPU: i7-4790K 4.0GHz | MOBO: ASUS Z-97K | GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 980 Ti
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR3-1866 CL10 | SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Tower | KB/M: Logitech Orion Spark G910/Razer Naga Epic

I play only with K+M. If a Game doesnt support it, fuck it.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

7 hours ago, Praesi said:

I play only with K+M. If a Game doesnt support it, fuck it.

Any reason you are so against controllers?

Honestly I firmly believe every pc gamer should have a controller, some game types just suit that piece of input hardware better

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

2 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Any reason you are so against controllers?

Honestly I firmly believe every pc gamer should have a controller, some game types just suit that piece of input hardware better

I want movement and camera Controlles which a controller dont have. And i dont give money to lazy devs.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

I want movement and camera Controlles which a controller dont have. And i dont give money to lazy devs.

Left stick - move character 360 degrees

Right stick - move camera 360 degrees

what? it works exactly the same

I PREFER a controller for some types of games, racing, platformers, 3rd person action games etc, like MGS V, rise of the tomb raider etc - i play with a controller 

its not about lazy devs, some games even with good keyboard controlls are just better with a controller

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 hour ago, Praesi said:

I agree that every PC game should have at least functional keyboard and mouse control with re-bindable keys, but it's not always laziness when certain games just work better with controllers. Some types of movement are just better suited to analog control rather than digital, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad design.