THINKING about switching from AMD to INTEL

Alright, so here comes the question that has probably been asked COUNTLESS times in the matter of a couple days. But I'm gonna ask it anyway. I'm a hardcore AMD fan. I am currently running an FX-8350 and was thinking about potentially switching from that to a 9 series when a buddy of mine told me off saying i should just cut my losses and switch to Intel. So here is my question:

What motherboard / CPU combo would you recommend? It needs to be a HIGH END gaming setup and able to be overclocked. With support for at least 1866 MHz DDR3 memory at 2+ channels. Eventually looking at potentially CF with two XFX R9 390's, so motherboard needs support as such. Also, would prefer an ATX as I currently have a Corsair Carbide 500R case with an MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard.

I was already sort of looking into it, and my two choices thus far are: I5-4690K OR I7-4770K. (Is it REALLY worth it to dish out the extra money for the I7?)

Still unsure about motherboards for either.

Thanks in advance guys! :D

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard, AMD FX-8350, XFX R9 390, x2 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866, 250gb ocz ssd, 500gb ocz ssd,

Corsair H80i GT, Corsair 500R White Edition, Thermaltake 850 Watt PSU

Oh, and 'Merica. Gotta have that 'Merica.

Well if you only really like to game I would go for an i5, maybe not even the 4960k because these past few years CPU performance hasn't been increasing that much. But if you really want to overclock to suck every last ounce of performance go for the 4960k

TL;DR: i5 for just gaming, i7 for gaming and maybe some editing, depending on the i7 you get (because of hyper threading).

6 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

Alright, so here comes the question that has probably been asked COUNTLESS times in the matter of a couple days. But I'm gonna ask it anyway. I'm a hardcore AMD fan. I am currently running an FX-8350 and was thinking about potentially switching from that to a 9 series when a buddy of mine told me off saying i should just cut my losses and switch to Intel. So here is my question:

What motherboard / CPU combo would you recommend? It needs to be a HIGH END gaming setup and able to be overclocked. With support for at least 1866 MHz DDR3 memory at 2+ channels. Eventually looking at potentially CF with two XFX R9 390's, so motherboard needs support as such. Also, would prefer an ATX as I currently have a Corsair Carbide 500R case with an MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard.

I was already sort of looking into it, and my two choices thus far are: I5-4690K OR I7-4770K. (Is it REALLY worth it to dish out the extra money for the I7?)

Do you really need the extra CPU performance now? Your buddy was definitely right to stop you buying a 9xxx series from AMD, but it seems likely that within 8 months AMD will have released something very competitive with what Intel is offering now.

IMO, if youre a AMD die-hard like me, id wait for the zen.

also, i haven't owned a Intel cpu since probably...then Pentium 4. so i couldn't tell you if real life performance would be greater. I DO know however, that i own the same Vishera as you do, and love it.

Just now, ShaolinBear said:

Do you really need the extra CPU performance now? Your buddy was definitely right to stop you buying a 9xxx series from AMD, but it seems likely that within 8 months AMD will have released something very competitive with what Intel is offering now.

I dunno, i'm the kind of guy who is always looking for the best. And right now AMD is just not putting out. And they haven't been for a while now. I mean don't get me wrong i LOVE  their GPU's, but Intel kinda kills them in CPU's.

MSI 970 Gaming Motherboard, AMD FX-8350, XFX R9 390, x2 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866, 250gb ocz ssd, 500gb ocz ssd,

Just now, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

IMO, if youre a AMD die-hard like me, id wait for the zen.

also, i haven't owned a Intel cpu since probably...then Pentium 4. so i couldn't tell you if real life performance would be greater. I DO know however, that i own the same Vishera as you do, and love it.

Oh I do love this power hungry beast, but i always wonder if there is just something better. Now, i was not aware of another AMD CPU in the works. So i might just have to research this.

You're not absolutely set on DDR3, are you? The current Intel chips run on DDR4. Some boards are modified to run on DDR3 but you really shouldn't buy them for high-end any more. 

1 minute ago, dbidwell94 said:

Oh I do love this power hungry beast, but i always wonder if there is just something better. Now, i was not aware of another AMD CPU in the works. So i might just have to research this.

ooooooo! yes, there definitely is one  in the works. its due to be put October this year, supposedly. it also has the legendary engineer jim keller working on it. jim himself states that its going to be better than the upcoming Kaby Lake arch from Intel. but, i guess we shall see, right? itll also be on the new am4 socket.

Heres a quote i found:

''AMD Zen build features

As mentioned earlier, buzz surrounding the launch of Zen continues to grow as more and more features about the processor build begin to emerge. It’s easy to understand why, here’s what we know so far…

Power Consumption and Heat Output

The new processor is confirmed to be built using low-power 14nm FinFET silicon, an advancement on 32nm and 28nm non-FinFET processor builds of previous AMD FX CPUs and APUs. Incorporating this tech is expected bring about greater energy efficiency leading to a significant reduction of power consumption and heat output. The knock-on effect should create battery life improvements for mobile devices incorporating the 7th gen processor. More importantly, this brings AMD in line with Intel. Although Intel is already working on releasing a processor utilising a 10nm process build expected in 2017.

Performance and Core Count

One of the major build goals for Zen was a focus on improving performance per core. A goal AMD claims it has delivered on, promising consumers an astonishing 40 percent increase on instructions per clock (IPC) over its predecessors. The next gen processor will also support simultaneous multi-threading. This will improve the overall efficiency of each core, allowing for multiple threads, but also multiple tasks, to be executed simultaneously on a single core.

While these features hold real promise, it’s the latest reveal from AMD which brings the most promise, specifically in the datacentre. At a recent CERN IT technical forum discussion, a CERN engineer unveiled a range of AMD Zen processors expected to feature up to 32 physical cores which support Symmetrical Multi-Threading. This build is said to be achieved combining two 16-core CPUs on a single die with using what was described as “a next-generation interconnect”.

That’s almost twice the cores currently on Intel’s most powerful Xeon processor which currently tops out at an 18-core chip. Now, higher core count and clock speed don’t always translate to higher performance. But, combined with the rumoured 40 percent IPC on each core we could see a processor offering a powerful a compelling solution for the data centre sector and associated enterprise class applications.

AMD is also rumoured to be developing high-end desktop chips incorporating 16-cores with a powerful GPU integrated.

Memory and Socket Compatibility

As it stands, the Zen architecture is expected to support DDR4 (8 channels) and utilise High Bandwidth Memory offering higher bandwidth with lower power usage. This is a first for AMD with past CPUs and APUs only offering support up to DDR3.

The new processor is set to be compatible with the upcoming AM4 socket. Unlike past processor product lines, scattered across AM3+, FM2+, and AM1 sockets, this allows Zen to be more SoC-like in nature. This makes it possible to integrate a wide array of components and controllers, removing the need for different types of motherboards and sockets to support them on future variants.''

Just now, Naeaes said:

You're not absolutely set on DDR3, are you?

No, I said memory should be AT LEAST DDR3 1866MHz with at least 2 channel support

1 - wait for Zen
2 - if you want now, Xeon E3 1231v3 or i7, i5 aren't worth the upgrade to since in multicore performance the 8350 matches them
3 - 6700, 6700K, 4790, 4790K, Xeon E3 1231v3 - only those CPUs are worth (well, X99 too but that costs more - 5820K, 5930K, 5960X)
4 - Z97/Z170 for K, H97/H170 for non-K

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

itll also be on the new am4 socket.

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my motherboard anyways lmao. I wonder how the price will compare to Intel though... o.O

Latest and greatest is always expensive..

Just now, dbidwell94 said:

Welp, looks like I'm going to have to upgrade my motherboard anyways lmao. I wonder how the price will compare to Intel though... o.O

3 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Performance and Core Count

One of the major build goals for Zen was a focus on improving performance per core. A goal AMD claims it has delivered on, promising consumers an astonishing 40 percent increase on instructions per clock (IPC) over its predecessors. The next gen processor will also support simultaneous multi-threading. This will improve the overall efficiency of each core, allowing for multiple threads, but also multiple tasks, to be executed simultaneously on a single core.

While these features hold real promise, it’s the latest reveal from AMD which brings the most promise, specifically in the datacentre. At a recent CERN IT technical forum discussion, a CERN engineer unveiled a range of AMD Zen processors expected to feature up to 32 physical cores which support Symmetrical Multi-Threading. This build is said to be achieved combining two 16-core CPUs on a single die with using what was described as “a next-generation interconnect”.

That’s almost twice the cores currently on Intel’s most powerful Xeon processor which currently tops out at an 18-core chip. Now, higher core count and clock speed don’t always translate to higher performance. But, combined with the rumoured 40 percent IPC on each core we could see a processor offering a powerful a compelling solution for the data centre sector and associated enterprise class applications.

AMD is also rumoured to be developing high-end desktop chips incorporating 16-cores with a powerful GPU integrated.

maybe i should have inserted something else in there that was relative to a price lmao. oops

maybe i should have inserted something else in there that was relative to a price lmao. oops

Haha yeah i just scoured the post looking for something relating to price lmao

As it stands, the Zen architecture is expected to support DDR4 (8 channels) and utilise High Bandwidth Memory

YES thank GOD! Woohoo! Alright Intel can go screw itself now. AMD FTW.

1 minute ago, dbidwell94 said:

Haha yeah i just scoured the post looking for something relating to price lmao

yeah, although its not there, I'm sure that AMD will stay at a good price for performance. they have for a long time, and its kept them in the game. now with this new arch theyre working on, i hoping to expect great things lol.

Don't get me wrong, Intel has DEFINITLY been extremely on point when it come to their own products. beautifully done, if i do say so myself. but for me, my own personal rig, will always have an AMD cpu :)

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Don't get me wrong, Intel has DEFINITLY been extremely on point when it come to their own products. beautifully done, if i do say so myself. but for me, my own personal rig, will always have an AMD cpu :)

Eh, the last few years have been stagnate for Intel. Ever since Ivy, it's been the same.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

5 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Eh, the last few years have been stagnate for Intel. Ever since Ivy, it's been the same.

xD just trying not to start a war for when the fanboys get up lol.

38 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

AMD is perfect for gaming rigs (ignore Intel fan boys that tell you diffrent) you wont get any prefromance diffrence over intel well nothing you will notice but price wise for the prefromance in games AMD is best price to preformance and will handel any game!

Intel is more for a gaming rig that wants to do other things like a bit of workstation

if you want to save money stick with AMD it will do what u need prefectly! jump up to AMD 9 series will mean u need a watercooler thos as AMD recommends them as the 9 series is hot!

if i was you i would stick with what you have overclock it and wait for zen.

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

xD just trying not to start a war for when the fanboys get up lol.

LMAO!

24 minutes ago, dbidwell94 said:

YES thank GOD! Woohoo! Alright Intel can go screw itself now. AMD FTW.

Don't fanboy too hard, its just a computer chip at the end of the day and the best is the one that gives better performance

Never get blinded by brand loyalty, because it means nothing and you only shoot yourself in the foot

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Don't fanboy too hard

Okay :(