Best all around headphones for an infinite budget

Cantaloupeman

Just out of curiosity what would be the best all around headphones with an infinite budget? Also what about for gaming. I'm assuming hd800 but I may be wrong. Feel free to chip in with your opinions. Just thought this would be for a bit of fun, just pretending I am rich :) 

On 4/4/2016 at 10:49 AM, Cantaloupeman said:

Just out of curiosity what would be the best all around headphones with an infinite budget? Also what about for gaming. I'm assuming hd800 but I may be wrong. Feel free to chip in with your opinions. Just thought this would be for a bit of fun, just pretending I am rich :) 

For $300AUD get the Logtiech Artemis G933. 7.1 Surround sound and a amazing mic! THEY ARE REALLY GOOD!

There's no such thing as a "best" headphone.

Personal preferences are a major reason; the other is that there isn't a headphone in existence that doesn't have some flaw or other.

The HD800 has hi-fi resolution but lo-fi frequency response, for example.

Sennheiser Orpheus

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

2 hours ago, SSL said:

There's no such thing as a "best" headphone.

Personal preferences are a major reason; the other is that there isn't a headphone in existence that doesn't have some flaw or other.

The HD800 has hi-fi resolution but lo-fi frequency response, for example.

After watching his review, I think Tyll might think the MrSpeakers Ether C's are a contender for "best" headphone. He was seriously loving on 'em.

LCD 3 are pretty good.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Other than maybe the EL-8s, all of Audeze's headphones are just too heavy, at least for me. If I can't wear a pair of headphones for several hours, they are no good to me.:)

10 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Other than maybe the EL-8s, all of Audeze's headphones are just too heavy, at least for me. If I can't wear a pair of headphones for several hours, they are no good to me.:)

Every time I look at the spec sheet of the LCD-X, I cannot help but just drop my jaw at the 600+ grams.  How do people even wear it for more than 10 minutes?

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

1 minute ago, Pomfinator said:

Every time I look at the spec sheet of the LCD-X, I cannot help but just drop my jaw at the 600+ grams.  How do people even wear it for more than 10 minutes?

Exactly. If it wasn't for that, there's a strong possibility I would already own a pair.

10 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

Exactly. If it wasn't for that, there's a strong possibility I would already own a pair.

If only the Ether's weren't $1500.  I wanna dip my feet into the planar waters but not sure if I should cheap out and go the Hifiman route or just YOLO and get something crazy like the Ethers.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

4 minutes ago, Pomfinator said:

If only the Ether's weren't $1500.  I wanna dip my feet into the planar waters but not sure if I should cheap out and go the Hifiman route or just YOLO and get something crazy like the Ethers.

If you're going to start using terms like Yolo, I have a nice pair of M50x's you might be interested in.:P

I've really been considering the Ethers, but I'm hung up on whether to go with open or closed.

I really enjoy my HD800, but i do admit that something like the lcd 2 or 3, that are warmer sounding, is something a lot of more main streaming people enjoy. I brought my hd800 to school and did a comparison with a mate who owned a pair of lcd2 and most of my friends preferred the lcd2, mainly due to it having more kick and more body in the bass. On the other hand, comfort and soundstage wise, the hd800 were favoured. Also the  HD800 do have a bit to much energy in the upper treble as well, it doesnt bother me to much though, as I use a warm sounding amp, as well as a eq to tame some of the treble peaks. (mine have a tiny peak at 6k and a small peak at 10k)

2 hours ago, Kenna said:

(mine have a tiny peak at 6k and a small peak at 10k)

They all do. And it's more than tiny.

Tesla T1 goes good with anything imo, used price is great too

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I like the HE 560 as a really good all around headphones.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, seduce_me said:

Stax SR-009...?

bro they cost 4900$ atleast they do in Denmark and then you also need a amp that you can plug them into so you will end up with 5500-6000$

13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

bro they cost 4900$ atleast they do in Denmark and then you also need a amp that you can plug them into so you will end up with 5500-6000$

I know nothing about those headphones, but "infinite budget" is in the title.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

I know nothing about those headphones, but "infinite budget" is in the title.

I just looked up how much a amp in Denmark cost for them you will have to pay 1600$ for the amp and only the amp. But yeah infinite budget...........

7 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Tesla T1 goes good with anything imo, used price is great too

I have heard bad things about them.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

4 hours ago, spwath said:

I have heard bad things about them.

do u live under a rock 

Literally SSL is the only person I've seen give them a bad review. They are deeply loved in the community, and many people including I prefer it over the HD800. They used to be overpriced, but the first version dropped in price a lot :D

Although, some people say there is a treble spike. Anyways, here's a poll that shows there popularity http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/165 (don't draw any conclusions from a poll though, find the sound sig you like)

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

2 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

do u live under a rock 

Literally SSL is the only person I've seen give them a bad review. They are deeply loved in the community, and many people including I prefer it over the HD800. They used to be overpriced, but the first version dropped in price a lot :D

Although, some people say there is a treble spike. Anyways, here's a poll that shows there popularity http://www.head-fi.org/t/624061/please-vote-audeze-lcd-2-vs-beyerdynamic-t1-vs-sennheiser-hd-800-vs-audeze-lcd-3/165 (don't draw any conclusions from a poll though, find the sound sig you like)

He is not the only one. I ones tried them for about 2 hours and when I put them on I felt like okay the sound is okay, not the signature I love the most. I thought they were about 400-500$ in price maybe 600-700$ when I heard them, keep in mind I dont go that much up in build since it's how they sound that are most important for this kind of headphones for me atleast. I heard the spike they had in the highs and I thought okay, this is not something that should be on high end headphones, I like headphones with treble that can be a bit harsh for some people, so I did not mind it that much. When one guy then told me that they cost 1700$ (danish price in US dollar) I just thought WTF, because I did not think that they should cost that much, they did not even give me that feeling when you get goose bumps because the music is so good, those are some of the first higher end headphones that did nothing like that for me and I think that headphones should do that before you buy them, right after I tried that HE 400i and 560 and they both gave me goose bumps, just like my K612 did the first time I heard them, so I waited for the HE400i (640$) to come on sale because I didnt want to spend that much money on headphones, they went on sale and I bought them and when I finally got them they where the old version so to make a long story short I paid 400€ for the 400i the seller could not give give me the new one so I got an offer on the 560 where I only had to pay 99€ more and get the 560 and RE400i instead of the 400i.

3 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

do u live under a rock 

Headfi loves them.

From what i have seen, superBAF is less thrilled with the t1's, and the innerfidelity measurements don't look too good for the price.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."