EVGA's first laptop available for pre-order

ostercraft123

Finally the time has come. EVGA is going into the laptop market and their first model the SC17 is available for preorders now.

It looks pretty awesome from what i can tell because it's full aluminium and has a full size backlit keyboard. But apart from that the hardware isn't bad either. Under it's hood works an i7-6820HK ( !!overclockable in a laptop!! ), 32GB of RAM, 256 GB of NVME SSD storage, 1TB of hard drive space and a 17.3" 4K display paired with a GTX 980m. The thing I really don't understand here is why they have gone with a 4K screen and why have they gone with a GTX 980m for that display and not with Nvidia's full size 980 for notebooks? With the full size 980 the screen could at least be used a bit for gaming but with that 980m you won't really be able to game at 4K...

Please @LinusTech you need to review this and give EVGA feedback on their first laptop.

Honestly it doenst seem like anything special that you cannot already get from other laptop manufacturers 

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Honestly it doenst seem like anything special that you cannot already get from other laptop manufacturers 

Well at least it isn't targeted at the standard consumer but also at folks who want to overclock.

Just now, ostercraft123 said:

Well at least it isn't targeted at the standard consumer but also at folks who want to overclock.

Which is kind of pointless, id rather they optimise the CPU to maximise performance within the thermal limits of the laptop as well as prolong battery life etc 

Plus you can overclock on tons of laptops, so thats nothing new heck my 11" Alienware from like 6 years ago had overclocking

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Which is kind of pointless, id rather they optimise the CPU to maximise performance within the thermal limits of the laptop as well as prolong battery life etc 

Plus you can overclock on tons of laptops, so thats nothing new heck my 11" Alienware from like 6 years ago had overclocking

At least it would be a review again, i seriously think that LTT starts way too many new shows now (Useless tech, Holy $hit, etc.). And it would be interesting to see what EVGA has done there and if Linus complaints about something they will sure try to make it better because EVGA's customer service is just plain awesome.

13 minutes ago, ostercraft123 said:

At least it would be a review again, i seriously think that LTT starts way too many new shows now (Useless tech, Holy $hit, etc.). And it would be interesting to see what EVGA has done there and if Linus complaints about something they will sure try to make it better because EVGA's customer service is just plain awesome.

After watching 5 or so laptop reviews, I get bored and don't really watch others unless it is something I am really interested in. I like them doing different things all the time.

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

28 minutes ago, ostercraft123 said:

Maybe and yes id love to see the review, but its price is insane and the spec is not good enough to justify the cost

Just now, ShadowCaptain said:

Maybe and yes id love to see the review, but its price is insane and the spec is not good enough to justify the cost

You are right but why did LTT did any reviews of macbooks then? They are overpriced.

2 minutes ago, ostercraft123 said:

You are right but why did LTT did any reviews of macbooks then? They are overpriced.

I Disagree, not all of Apples products are over priced and also the macbook is unique in that it runs OSX and is from Apple, its not directly comparable to a windows PC in that regard

I would buy a 13/15 Retina pro, I would not buy the EVGA laptop over the competitors 

In fact the 13"  retina is a very very well priced laptop considering its display, aluminium unibody, performance, PCI SSDs and insane battery life

3 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Customer support perhaps? Dealing with HP and Asus is a right royal PITA. And Toshiba...love to charge you for the most basic tech support, even if its about returning something under warranty.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

5 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Customer support perhaps? Dealing with HP and Asus is a right royal PITA. And Toshiba...love to charge you for the most basic tech support, even if its about returning something under warranty.

Thankfully warranty laws here in the UK are generally much better than the US  for example

I have dealt with MSI, Dell (and Alienware), Asus and others without much really issue in the past

I agree, EVGA might have good support, but for 1500 more than the next competitor? ... hard pill to swallow, could buy 3rd party insurance and warranty for less

Thin form factor means the full 980 would not fit - hence the 980m. Why they went with a 4k panel with this GPU, I don't know. Technically you can run games at 1080p and they should still look good as that resolution scales nicely into 4k. 

Looks nice though. I like the simple minimalist design. Never cared for those flashy gaming laptops. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 hours ago, ostercraft123 said:

Oh please, LTT reviews nothing lately that the average consumer would consider buying. 1300$ 13 inch netbook, sure why not, 1000$ hdmi cable today (despite the title already says it). 

Some logitech keyboards.. Ok that and stuff they do when they are bored with equipment almost nobody here could afford. 8 980ti? K why not. I've found diffrent channels that showcases hardware for the enthusiast consumer. Without having them to sell their soul and grandma. 

I do enjoy the forums but LTT's youtube presence is nothing I'm interested in. Another product for them to show around, might be 0,10% that consinder buying this.

4 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

Um, didn't you read, it's EVGA?!?!

*clears throat* With that aside, I can see that as it's main selling point, if it sells at all. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Um, didn't you read, it's EVGA?!?!

*clears throat* With that aside, I can see that as it's main selling point, if it sells at all. 

Couldnt give a shit about it being EVGA:3

Ive had EVGA products, and ive had others, and honestly while EVGA products are great, I would not pay twice the amount for something that doenst even have the best specs

4 hours ago, ostercraft123 said:

Please @LinusTech you need to review this and give EVGA feedback on their first laptop.

You mean aside from his CES coverage of it?

> 4K Display

> Can't play games at 4K

In general the specs of this laptop scream overkill to me. Nevermind the display. 32GB of RAM on a non-workstation laptop. Show me a single game that will use even 16. NVME SSD when a gamer won't see a benefit compared to standard lower costed alternatives.

And that price point. $2700? Bit much?

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

If the build quality and design was there, certainly. There are shittier laptops at that pricepoint (Looking at Aorus).

That said, I don't care about 17" laptops. Give me a 14"er and I'll be interested.

7 hours ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I Disagree, not all of Apples products are over priced and also the macbook is unique in that it runs OSX and is from Apple, its not directly comparable to a windows PC in that regard

I would buy a 13/15 Retina pro, I would not buy the EVGA laptop over the competitors 

In fact the 13"  retina is a very very well priced laptop considering its display, aluminium unibody, performance, PCI SSDs and insane battery life

Pricing wise, I concur else nah, I dislike mac os quite badly :P 

The laptop that interests me is the msi gs40, slim, powerful, 14inch, one of the perfect sizes for a laptop (with 13.3 being the other form factor)...it has all my requirements :D 

13 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

If the build quality and design was there, certainly. There are shittier laptops at that pricepoint (Looking at Aorus).

That said, I don't care about 17" laptops. Give me a 14"er and I'll be interested.

Msi gs40 is a 14"er, I would presume you would be interested in that...

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

yes drop the screen size down to around 15" and drop the price point to around 1799 to 1999 and then it would be a real contender, plus i dont think it has all the flairs such as rgb that others are including 

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Msi gs40 is a 14"er, I would presume you would be interested in that...

same i need to buy one but I need to sell my current gaming latop

Well i dont i guess i could just go get it now

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

same i need to buy one but I need to sell my current gaming latop

Well i dont i guess i could just go get it now

sell your current laptop...which one thou? You have 3 laptops xD

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

Meh, I will wait for the release of the 1000 series nvidia GPUs to make their way to laptops before I replace my aging g73jw.  Even though it's battery is basically dead, it still works for me  as a portable desktop computer.  That good ol 460m is still pulling it's weight, even with today's high end games (though not really well)

Typed on an Alienware with a 980m and a 4K screen. (Come at me, bros)

Let me tell you now that 4k on any laptop that doesn't have an OS perfectly tuned to the resolution is completely unnecessary. The gloss and fascination lasts until all the annoying little things add up to make the experience unpleasant. Downscaling in games makes everything look so jaggy, and if you crank MSAA to remedy it you're going to be paying through the nose in perf since every single mobile GPU* (even the top end Maxwell in this EVGA) will throttle; unless you have that Asus with a waterblock and that defeats the point of a laptop entirely. 

A matte 1080p IPS screen with great colours and preferably a touch screen is literally all you'll ever need in a laptop. I mean that. QHD should be the practical limit. I wish I had known that before I shelled out on the white elephant that is a glossy 4k screen.

*(note I mean mobile GPU as in a laptop that you could pack in a bag and take to work, not a desktop replacement thicker than an almanac with the word 'Laptop' stuck onto it) 

10 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

sell your current laptop...which one thou? You have 3 laptops xD

Priority is the M18x, but id happily sell them all and get a new laptop and the rest towards camera gear

4 hours ago, Dogeystyle said:

Let me tell you now that 4k on any laptop that doesn't have an OS perfectly tuned to the resolution is completely unnecessary

A matte 1080p IPS screen with great colours and preferably a touch screen is literally all you'll ever need in a laptop.

Agreed!, I mean at 13-17" 1080p is still a very very high pixel density, which is sharper than 1440p 27" monitors 

(1080p on 17" = 130 ppi, on 13" = 169 ppi)
(1440p on 27" = 108 ppi)

4k screens on laptops just mean poor windows scaling, and forcing you to run games in none native resolutions so they look worse

I swear the laptop manufacturers are just going for the "bigger numbers are better" idea because the general public have no clue when it comes to tech

The only real high density displays that works are apples retina displays but that is because of the clever way OSX works by keeping the screen space at a lower resolution and just rendering on screen elements at a higher DPI - windows is SHIT at this