ASUS PG348Q Thoughts? Going from 144hz to 100hz

oats123

Hey there, I currently have a ASUS VG278HE 144Hz 27in Monitor, which i love but ive since seen the new ASUS PG348Q monitor and was wondering if anyone has gone from 144hz to 100hz and if it is a noticeable difference?

I also currently have a  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified, would this be enough to run this monitor or would i be needing sli/or upgrade?

If anyone has this monitor feel free to give your overall opinion on it!

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, oats123 said:

144hz to 100hz and if it is a noticeable difference?

its about a 44% drop, so you would probably feel it, but really unless you have super eyes, it wont be much of a huge difference

if you dont play competitively, you probably dont need that extra 44hz

5 minutes ago, oats123 said:

currently have a  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified, would this be enough to run this monitor or would i be needing sli/or upgrade?

single 980Ti or dual 980 (i recommend single 980 Ti) for high settings and taking advantage of that refresh rate
or just wait for pascal ;)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

hey ive switched from a pg1279q to the pg348q and i can see the difference. but ive got used to it, tbh it hold me back for almost a year (was thinking about buying the x34) because i thought the difference is too big. you can tell for sure at the beginning. but if youre always at 100fps you get used to it pretty fast. its really not that bad, the resolution is just so much better imho. im using a 980ti and most games run high/ultra presets fps capped (1575/8000mhz oc)

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

15 hours ago, oats123 said:

I also currently have a  EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Classified, would this be enough to run this monitor or would i be needing sli/or upgrade?

Depends on games you play. Even on overlocked 980 Ti games like Witcher 3 run at 40-45 FPS on Ultra with this resolution, and unstable 60 on High, games like new Tomb Rider don't even hold 40, so there will be huge problem to play comfortably on 980. But games of Witcher 3 kind of requirements are minority and it won't be that bad in very most of them, but still it won't work if you want to take advantage of this 100 Hz. You can get this monitor and play less demanding games until new GPUs comes out so you can upgrade. You can also go down to medium settings in the most demanding games, but this not what you get expensive GPU and display for, right?

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

21 hours ago, Moonzy said:

its about a 44% drop, so you would probably feel it, but really unless you have super eyes, it wont be much of a huge difference

if you dont play competitively, you probably dont need that extra 44hz

single 980Ti or dual 980 (i recommend single 980 Ti) for high settings and taking advantage of that refresh rate
or just wait for pascal ;)

20 hours ago, Minsekt said:

hey ive switched from a pg1279q to the pg348q and i can see the difference. but ive got used to it, tbh it hold me back for almost a year (was thinking about buying the x34) because i thought the difference is too big. you can tell for sure at the beginning. but if youre always at 100fps you get used to it pretty fast. its really not that bad, the resolution is just so much better imho. im using a 980ti and most games run high/ultra presets fps capped (1575/8000mhz oc)

5 hours ago, Krzych said:

Depends on games you play. Even on overlocked 980 Ti games like Witcher 3 run at 40-45 FPS on Ultra with this resolution, and unstable 60 on High, games like new Tomb Rider don't even hold 40, so there will be huge problem to play comfortably on 980. But games of Witcher 3 kind of requirements are minority and it won't be that bad in very most of them, but still it won't work if you want to take advantage of this 100 Hz. You can get this monitor and play less demanding games until new GPUs comes out so you can upgrade. You can also go down to medium settings in the most demanding games, but this not what you get expensive GPU and display for, right?

Thanks for the replies guys, i might just wait another year and when i build a whole new rig, hopefully there will be another monitor out with a higher refresh rate. Thanks all

A single 980TI is really the lowest you should go if you want to stay at 100 fps with near max settings in games.

With max settings (aa all out etc,) you will not reach more than 70-80 in games as GTA and rainbow six siege.

Under any circumstances I would not reccomend the 34" 100 hz monitors as all 3 I have had have had horrible coilwhine. If you are OK with that, they are OK monitors, but I am waiting until better panels becomes available before I switch to ultra wide again.