The Ultimate Folding Rig

Just curious... would 4 7990's work in one system(granted the power draw would be stupid) since they aren't in crossfire? I don't see that windows would have an issue... This could be fun...

That's what I was thinking of, since a 690 is slightly faster than a titan and a 7990 is faster than a 690 I was thinking that if you could supply the power needed it would be as good as GPU folding could get inside a PC case form factor. so I'm thinking two xeons and 4 7990's.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

Just curious... would 4 7990's work in one system(granted the power draw would be stupid) since they aren't in crossfire? I don't see that windows would have an issue... This could be fun...

That's what I was thinking of, since a 690 is slightly faster than a titan and a 7990 is faster than a 690 I was thinking that if you could supply the power needed it would be as good as GPU folding could get inside a PC case form factor. so I'm thinking two xeons and 4 7990's.

the thing with 7990 and folding is that folding doesn't do well in crossfire and a 7990 is basically in perma crossfire. basically it would give you less ppd than a single 7970.

one of the people on reddit's team tried folding on 2x 7970 with crossfire enabled and the ppd was terrible.

690 on the other hand works.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

Also, after 7 "gpu" Windows will basically freak out and tank. So 8 GPUs via 4 x 7990's may work, but might end up causing a crap ton of issues.

Also 7990 - rough cost $700 - x4 would be $2800 - basically you just made the most inefficient folder ever. :) At that cost, plus the cost for the dual CPU system, you could get a 64 core AMD server that would crush it and produce a lot less heat and not cause your power utility to install a new generator.

Again, I will point out - folding on one or two GPU is nice, but building a dedicated folding rig, esp if you are spending money, 4P AMD solution will net you the most PPD and in the end, be the most cost efficient.

Now, a single CPU, say core i7, with say 4 or 5 7970's maybe? That still put you in the $2000 mark - and if all your GPU's got Core 15, well, enjoy the 100K PPD. :D Whereas that $2000 4P AMD folder will consistently pull 350K-500K PPD...

FYI - Core 15 and Core 16 will be around for a long time - there is a lot of work units still left...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

just get the most expencive stuff :P 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I would assume for folding that workstation cards would be better then gaming cards.

nope, work units are made with the mindset that everyone can do them. since there are significantly more people with "gaming" or regular cards than there are with workstation cards, the work units are more optimized for regular, non-workstation cards.

the point is that most computers have a regular graphics card and then only a fraction have a workstation card. even based on the assumption that a workstation card would "do more work", all that extra work they would be insignificant compared to the work that regular cards do since there are so many of them.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." Edgar Allan Poe

@natkoui

I would assume for folding that workstation cards would be better then gaming cards.

I have tried a few Quadro and FireGL cards and they tanked compared to my regular cards. As @BenDreadful mentioned, they program the client for the mainstream client

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Heck if you water cool you can have 7

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I wish i was the chef of the data center at our university. I'd set up All the PCs in all the computer rooms to Fold on medium-high in the background. I'm pretty sure there are way more than 1000 PCs at our uni, all with an i5 3rd gen. Man, I'd fold the universe apart!! -aaaand have a super high electricity bill. :D

who cares...

I wish i was the chef of the data center at our university. I'd set up All the PCs in all the computer rooms to Fold on medium-high in the background. I'm pretty sure there are way more than 1000 PCs at our uni, all with an i5 3rd gen. Man, I'd fold the universe apart!! -aaaand have a super high electricity bill. :D

correction, your university would have super high electricity bills... :P

ITX Monster: CPU: I5 4690K GPU: MSI 970 4G Mobo: Asus Formula VI Impact RAM: Kingston 8 GB 1600MHz PSU: Corsair RM 650 SSD: Crucial MX100 512 GB HDD: laptop drive 1TB Keyboard: logitech G710+ Mouse: Steelseries Rival Monitor: LG IPS 23" Case: Corsair 250D Cooling: H100i

Mobile: Phone: Broken HTC One (M7) Totaly Broken OnePlus ONE Samsung S6 32GB  :wub:  Tablet: Google Nexus 7 2013 edition

what about tesla cards no idea what they are for lol

Those, along with the Intel Phi cards, are dedicated compute GPU cards. The Tesla has the came core chip as the Titan and the 780, just with no cores disabled. It is a monster processor, but no, Folding will never run on these. They make their software for mainstream hardware, and these card definitely are not that. :)

One Tesla card - just the card - is about 2 grand. Heck, I can build a pretty sweet 4P for that price. :)

its not about watt here, its about the best possible folding rig.

...its about highest possible power bill in 3 months!

In all seriousness, if you're dead-set on folding, the power usage is a very important thing to consider.