[Rumour]PS4.5/PS4K coming holiday 2016 for $400, will not support Native 4K

Master Disaster

Its looking more and more like the PlayStation 4.5 is a thing and today a minor leak provides some insight into it. First is the pricing.

Whether it is called PlayStation 4.5 or PlayStation 4K as recently suggested by a rumor, we might have our hands on the PlayStation 4.5 launch date details!

According to some new unconfirmed news, the new advanced console by Sony Computer Entertainment is going to be released during the Holiday season this year.

While we have enough evidence to know that the console actually is a thing, there are some uncertainties as to what it is going to pack. Some of the reports claim that it will be a superior and more powerful console with 4K gaming while some analysts think that it is nothing like what we think.

However, the rumor at hand suggests that Sony Computer Entertainment is bent upon making sure that the PlayStation 4.5 launch date falls during holiday 2016 and also that they are going to price it at $400 but this is just a tentative price for now.

And now onto 4K support, basically it doesn't really have it, it just upscaled 1080p to 4K, Sony already have titles in production.

Moving on to the more complicated matters i.e. 4K gaming. Just like we suggested the day before yesterday, the PlayStation 4K is hardly going to be able to run native 4K gaming. Since it is nearly impossible to provide native 4K gaming in the form factor and the price of the supposed console, the rumors suggest that it will instead “upscale” the images.

That is not all. The rumors suggest that developers are already making games specific to the PlayStation 4K that will specially make use of its additional power. This falls in line with the PlayStation 4.5 launch date window we discussed above.

Apparently, a studio that has a long history with Sony is working on a “major property” title for the PS4.5 too,

Well, that is all for today’s update but do keep in mind that all this should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt, unless we can update with an official word.

Source - http://segmentnext.com/2016/03/26/playstation-4-5-launch-date-is-holiday-2016-for-400-no-4k-native-rumor/

Video - 

So its looking like the PS4K is coming out quite soon and they must have been planning it for a while if they already have games in production. I wonder if this was the plan all along?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Damn it all....I just got the PS4!!!!!!!!!!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

1 minute ago, Albatross said:

Damn it all....I just got the PS4!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldnt worry. Like the PS4 not being true 1080 the 4.5/4K will probably not be true 4K. The console hardware is not strong enough. 

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

A faster console? Yes please. This means that the final product on PC won't be be so numbed down, or at least I hope so.

if only the other two console makers focused on gameplay instead of visuals like Nintendo does. I'd gladly exchange better looking shadows for 60 fps if i had to play on a console 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I'm assuming it'll have UHD Blu ray support and 4K video playback support in general. Otherwise such a launch makes no sense at all. 

I also have to question the timing. While sales wise it's a good idea, technology wise it's awful. We're just transitioning to a bunch of new stuff at that time or just after. While they might be able to get a prioritized early custom SoC made, I'm certain they'll be missing out on a lot. A summer 2017 launch might be a better time (if at all). 

3 hours ago, Matu20 said:

A faster console? Yes please. This means that the final product on PC won't be be so numbed down, or at least I hope so.

There's still the Xbrick to contend with

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

15 minutes ago, That Norwegian Guy said:

There's still the Xbrick to contend with

Im sure they will follow. If not, they basically left in the waters with their "past gen" console compared to the PS 4.5.

I expect this to have a UHD Blu-ray player. Sony has yet to announce a specific player, only that they are working on it

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Just now, aerandir92 said:

I expect this to have a UHD Blu-ray player. Sony has yet to announce a specific player, only that they are working on it

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it turned out to be a PS4 with UHD BD Support and nothing more.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Why are people Surprised the PS4 Can't do 1080p all the time 

Why are people expecting the PS4.5 to do 4k?

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

10 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it turned out to be a PS4 with UHD BD Support and nothing more.

Yeah, that's more or less what I think PS4K means. It's just a slim version with UHD Blu-ray. Which also means HDR and WCG support. so that could impact games. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Because otherwise it wont run it at 60 frames per second at 1080P :l! Why is this not for the pc aswell -....-24836694024_91b32380c9_b.jpg.3bc4c360e7c

Groomlake Authority

25 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

This is exactly what I'm expecting. Sony would have to be a moron to introduce a "PS4.5" or "PS4K" that has improved performance, while still calling it part of the PS4 series.

If Sony wants to release a new, more powerful console? Sure! Call it the PS5, and make it play all PS4 games. But this "4.5" nonsense is just going to split the console userbase, and piss off a bunch of PS4 owners (especially those who recently bought).

I'm expecting native 4K video playback/output support, with HDMI 2.0, and a built-in UHD Blu-Ray player. Aside from that, it'll likely be a slim designed case, and maybe a few bonus, non-graphics performance related features.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

This is literally the most retarded thing I've ever heard, and the name and price goes along with it. There is no way they can make a smooth 4K machine for just $400. You can't even do that with a PC, even if you get used parts.

And what's frustrating me the most, and I think I'm the one to say it first because it might as well be true, it might be more powerful than a lot of peoples' PCs, including my own. And THAT pisses me off. It pisses me that for $400 it can run 4K games better than my ~$600-700 PC. And that just adds to that fact that there is no way this is real.

Did Sony even announce this thing? Is this seriously all rumors?

1 minute ago, byalexandr said:

This is literally the most retarded thing I've ever heard, and the name and price goes along with it. There is no way they can make a smooth 4K machine for just $400. You can't even do that with a PC, even if you get used parts.

And what's frustrating me the most, and I think I'm the one to say it first because it might as well be true, it might be more powerful than a lot of peoples' PCs, including my own. And THAT pisses me off. It pisses me that for $400 it can run 4K games better than my ~$600-700 PC. And that just adds to that fact that there is no way this is real.

Did Sony even announce this thing? Is this seriously all rumors?

All rumours. Of course, half of the rumours have "confirmed" everything through their "sources"... meaning. Yes. It's all rumours.

To be fair, Sony COULD release a console with an i7-6700K and a GTX 980 Ti and sell it for $400. They essentially did that with the PS3 (Albeit, for more like $700), because they subsidized the price of the console and sold it at a loss.

Of course, Sony WON'T do that, since Sony doesn't exactly have the kind of money lying around that they used to. I personally don't think they can afford to subsidize console sales anymore.

Regardless, I simply think this "new" console - if it's even really a thing, will be one of the following:

1. Pretty much a regular PS4, but with a UHD Blu-Ray player, and HDMI 2.0 (By far the most likely)

2. An entirely new console Generation, called PS5 (Very unlikely - Zen isn't launched yet - we will have Polaris by then, but I don't see AMD taking existing CPU's and making an APU with Polaris out of them)

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

I'm assuming it'll have UHD Blu ray support and 4K video playback support in general. Otherwise such a launch makes no sense at all. 

I also have to question the timing. While sales wise it's a good idea, technology wise it's awful. We're just transitioning to a bunch of new stuff at that time or just after. While they might be able to get a prioritized early custom SoC made, I'm certain they'll be missing out on a lot. A summer 2017 launch might be a better time (if at all). 

It can already do UHD 4k blu Ray playback.

11 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

All rumours. Of course, half of the rumours have "confirmed" everything through their "sources"... meaning. Yes. It's all rumours.

To be fair, Sony COULD release a console with an i7-6700K and a GTX 980 Ti and sell it for $400. They essentially did that with the PS3 (Albeit, for more like $700), because they subsidized the price of the console and sold it at a loss.

Of course, Sony WON'T do that, since Sony doesn't exactly have the kind of money lying around that they used to. I personally don't think they can afford to subsidize console sales anymore.

Regardless, I simply think this "new" console - if it's even really a thing, will be one of the following:

1. Pretty much a regular PS4, but with a UHD Blu-Ray player, and HDMI 2.0 (By far the most likely)

2. An entirely new console Generation, called PS5 (Very unlikely - Zen isn't launched yet - we will have Polaris by then, but I don't see AMD taking existing CPU's and making an APU with Polaris out of them)

That's more comforting. I fucking hate Sony right now.

6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

AMD could ship carrizo cpus + polaris GPUs...

Hell PS 4.5 could simply be a huge custom Bristol Ridge chip.

Currently ps4 is GCN 1 with a custom true audio module.

Bumping PS 4.5 to GCN 3 (Tonga) would be a huge upgrade from current Pitcairn/Tahiti based gpu.

Hell just imagine the visuals if they could use a tiny bit more tessellation without the console shitting itself 

24 minutes ago, Prysin said:

A quick Google search reveals that there is no clear answer. Some say it could do it while others say no. One even says Sony have explicitly denied support for PS4.

If it can do it, I'm assuming it's software-based support?

I mean for proper support, we'd need HDMI 2.0 and HEVC decoding (I don't believe the PS4 has either?) and I guess the blu ray drive itself needs to support some of the new stuff in the UHD standard, which I'm guessing it might do, but I guess it's varies from blu ray player to blu ray player.

20 minutes ago, Prysin said:

[Citation Needed]

As far as I'm aware, no current Blu-Ray players are capable of UHD 4K playback, since none of them can read a 4K disc. If you have a source on this, please post it.

14 minutes ago, Prysin said:

AMD could ship carrizo cpus + polaris GPUs...

Hell PS 4.5 could simply be a huge custom Bristol Ridge chip.

Currently ps4 is GCN 1 with a custom true audio module.

Bumping PS 4.5 to GCN 3 (Tonga) would be a huge upgrade from current Pitcairn/Tahiti based gpu.

Hell just imagine the visuals if they could use a tiny bit more tessellation without the console shitting itself 

They could, but they could have done something like that to begin with. GCN Gen 2 (Hawaii) was already announced and released by the time the PS4 and XBO were released. Tonga wasn't out until Q3 2014 though, but AMD gave Sony and Microsoft the performance they wanted at the time. If Sony wanted 290X level performance, AMD would have made it happen.

Point being, splitting the console generation is a bad business decision. If they want to release a more powerful console, they need to end the current generation, and launch the next generation. At this point, it should be easy for the "PS5" to have backwards compatibility. But having "PS4K" or "PS4.5" games that may or may not work on the original PS4 is unacceptable. Especially if they do work, but run terribly.

45 minutes ago, byalexandr said:

39 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

4K gameplay could actually be doable at $500. An 860k+390 setup would run a consumer around $530 -- so it would probably run sony around $400ish. Then factor in the level of optimization and how light the os is and 4K could definitely be achievable (albeit obviously not at high settings).

not that I think that's the case here.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

The problem with consoles and new technologies is that it's a "complete package" with a (usually) long development time. You don't just throw a chip in there three months prior to launch.

I mean of course Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo are privy to hardware developments much earlier than us consumers, but hardware architectures needs to be finalized a long time in advance and then a hardware design needs to be developed based on that also a good while in advance and things needs to be thoroughly tested and software needs to be written with the hardware design in mind. So it's not a weekend project for Sony.

Even with a holiday release, I think Sony would need to rush to get a Polaris based design in there. I mean six to nine months to get a custom SoC made, tested and validated, integrated into a PS4 console and then mass produced all the while getting developers up to speed and ready with launch titles? That's a difficult thing to handle for Sony in such a short time span.

I don't see it happening.

At best, I could imagine we get current Carrizo in there. But a Bristol Ridge? No, not unless they rush it. Does Bristol Ridge even feature Polaris graphics? I figured we would have to wait for Raven Ridge to get that.

6 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Stronger console doesn't always equal greater sales, though.  Wasn't the original xbox far more powerful than the PS2?  Yet, the PS2 outsold it.

It was but keep mind that the original Xbox was very late to the game (almost two years after), so it never stood a chance except as a way for Microsoft to breach the console market and establish itself. The original Xbox was more powerful and technically superior in pretty much every way I'd say (although that's a given since it came so much later and Microsoft had the time to design a console that trumped the PS2).