Building my first Gaming PC, Need help.

Billiam123

I need a new PC, Old laptop broke, So I decided to try and make a gaming PC that is able to play any top of the line games (With some screen capping and streaming potential) and be able to handle future games for while without needing to upgrade. (I'm Australian)

Starting from knowing nothing about PC building or hardware, After a lot of research this is the build I have came up with this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($294.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Motherboard: Asus H170M-E D3 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  ($115.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($459.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Case: Corsair SPEC-03 Red ATX Mid Tower Case  ($79.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 OEM (64-bit) 
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor 
Total: $1324.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-26 17:32 AEDT+1100

-I started with a CPU cooler but everyone I asked said I was fine with the stock cooler, Would those people be correct? (More opinions I can get the better, On anything)
-Motherboards still confuse me greatly, I just went with the cheapest H170 because I was nervous about getting a H1!0 or B150 because I didn't want a dodgy motherboard to cause problems. (I don't know what H110 or B150 or H170 means I just think H170 is a better one because its higher number and seems like it is...) So any information or advice about motherboards would be nice but primarily I would like to know is my chosen motherboard a good choice and why?

-I'm fairly confident in the Power supply brand but not sure if I should up the power supply to 620 or if 520 is more then enough? (I don't know what power usage my build would be using so not sure how much power to get, Like if I'm only using 10W then 520 would be enough but my build uses 519W then should probably be using 620? I dunno)
-I am considering Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory because I can get it on amazon for  $88.97 + $5.77 Shipping (whereas kingston is $115 before shipping) But then I noticed Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory has automatic overclocking with considering I'm very new to this and I don't know how to overclock I think it might be safer to get automatic overclocking (So I don't blow up computer trying to overclock or something) I don't even know If i should or I need to overclock but if it gives more performance to overclock It seems like I would like to have it but maybe overclocking is so easy I don't need it to be autooverclocking or the boost from overclocking is fairly insignificant I don't need to worry about overclocking running normally should be more then enough I don't know..., So what I'm asking is Should I get Cosair if so should I attempt to overclock with it? OR Should I get Kingston and let it auto overclock for me (for extra cost)?
-I'm also thinking about getting a Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor because apparently it seems a lot better then the i5-6500 but I would have to get a CPU cooler and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler seems to be most popular standard cooler, So would it be worth the extra $60~ dollars to get a i5-6600k+212 EVO OR Would it be better to stick with i5-6500 and stock cooler? (I think overclocking might come into this question but again I don't know very much about it so preemptively to answer any potential "Are you going to be overclocking" I dunno, Should I be overclocking?)

Also any other advice or tips or things I should know would help greatly as I have only been researching for a week or so and still very new at this so any advice will help a lot, Especially things that you may think are obvious.

1. I would get a motherboard that supports DDR4, since DDR4 prices are almost the same now might as well get it.
  2. Just get 8GB of ram, no need for 16GB in most games and it can be upgraded later very easily.
  3. The stock cooler is fine with a non K cpu
  4. No don't get the i5 6600K unless you get a Z170 board, since you can't overclock in a H170 board.
  5. 520W is more than enough for most modern single GPU systems.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:
  1. I would get a motherboard that supports DDR4, since DDR4 prices are almost the same now might as well get it.
  2. Just get 8GB of ram, no need for 16GB in most games and it can be upgraded later very easily.
  3. The stock cooler is fine with a non K cpu
  4. No don't get the i5 6600K unless you get a Z170 board, since you can't overclock in a H170 board.
  5. 520W is more than enough for most modern single GPU systems.

2.Only reason I got 16gb instead of 8gb was because I might want 16gb sometime and because of THIS tech tips video "For the best possible experience you should have the same brand by the same model and even bought at the same time because they would revise them from time to time" I dunno how important it is to get at the same time (But knowing nothing at the start of this I was trying to be safe rather then sorry whenever possible, So I'm taking it from what you are saying is that it's not that important to buy ram at the same time?
3.Helpful to know, I'm pretty certain now that stock cooler is fine with non K cpu
4, Ok I wont get the i5 6600k with a H170 motherboard. But if I can't overclock on the H170 board does that mean getting Kingston ram (with auto overclocking) is also wasted on a H170?

1.I seen DDR4 before and considered it, I can see it is at least 1 better then DDR3 but leaves me with some concerns, Most DDR4 motherboards seem to be Z170 so if I'm going to upgrade to DDR4 motherboard Z170 it would open the possibility for overclocking (I think) and which means I could get the i5 6600k (which is better cpu i think) also I can use it to overclock, Now should I get the i5 6600k to overclock? Should I overclock it even if I get it? Is the extra $15~ for ram of equal GB and $35~ for 212 cooler and $100~ more for the motherboard itself is going to be worth it? Will I need more power supply for DDR4 or overclocking? Should I just stick with i5 6500 on a Z170 motherboard? If I should get the i5 6600k and overclock it how hard will it be to do and what are the chances/risk of me breaking something trying to overclock?

55 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

2.Only reason I got 16gb instead of 8gb was because I might want 16gb sometime and because of THIS tech tips video "For the best possible experience you should have the same brand by the same model and even bought at the same time because they would revise them from time to time" I dunno how important it is to get at the same time (But knowing nothing at the start of this I was trying to be safe rather then sorry whenever possible, So I'm taking it from what you are saying is that it's not that important to buy ram at the same time?
3.Helpful to know, I'm pretty certain now that stock cooler is fine with non K cpu
4, Ok I wont get the i5 6600k with a H170 motherboard. But if I can't overclock on the H170 board does that mean getting Kingston ram (with auto overclocking) is also wasted on a H170?

1.I seen DDR4 before and considered it, I can see it is at least 1 better then DDR3 but leaves me with some concerns, Most DDR4 motherboards seem to be Z170 so if I'm going to upgrade to DDR4 motherboard Z170 it would open the possibility for overclocking (I think) and which means I could get the i5 6600k (which is better cpu i think) also I can use it to overclock, Now should I get the i5 6600k to overclock? Should I overclock it even if I get it? Is the extra $15~ more for ram $35~ for 212 cooler that I will need for overclocking be worth it? Will I need more power supply for DDR4 or overclocking? Should I just stick with i5 6500 on a Z170 motherboard? If I should get the i5 6600k and overclock it how hard will it be to do and what are the chances/risk of me breaking something trying to overclock?

No not all DDR4 motherboards are Z170, pretty sure. Also no need to worry about RAM types, the sticks you will get won't disappear out of the market anytime soon added to the fact that its rare for RAM of the same specs to not work and if it doesn't you can send it back.

And you can check in the manufacturer page for what RAM speeds are supported for overclocking.

Pascal laptops guide

19 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

No not all DDR4 motherboards are Z170, pretty sure. Also no need to worry about RAM types, the sticks you will get won't disappear out of the market anytime soon added to the fact that its rare for RAM of the same specs to not work and if it doesn't you can send it back.

And you can check in the manufacturer page for what RAM speeds are supported for overclocking.

So I went with you suggestion of DDR4, (I had a random option selected on Pcpartpicker so it only showed Z170 my bad..) 

I got  Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory, DDR4 which costs a bit more but I downgraded the chipset to a  Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard to save a bit of money, As far as I can tell there is no downsides to this motherboard (I would like to know if there is any downsides to 150B? I don't plan on upgrading anything except for 16gb of RAM, I will just make a new build if time ever comes that I desperately need new computer)

So following your suggestions would this be a good build?

Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($99.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Total: $1189.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 16:46 AEDT+1100

27 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

So I went with you suggestion of DDR4, (I had a random option selected on Pcpartpicker so it only showed Z170 my bad..) 

I got  Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory, DDR4 which costs a bit more but I downgraded the chipset to a  Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard to save a bit of money, As far as I can tell there is no downsides to this motherboard (I would like to know if there is any downsides to 150B? I don't plan on upgrading anything except for 16gb of RAM, I will just make a new build if time ever comes that I desperately need new computer)

So following your suggestions would this be a good build?

Motherboard: Asus B150M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($129.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Memory: Kingston Savage 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory 
Total: $1189.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-27 16:46 AEDT+1100

Seems okay, you might want to take a 970 that has fans rather than blowers though since they get better temps.

If you want to learn more about features offered by B150/h110/h170/z170 check here:

Pascal laptops guide

36 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Seems okay, you might want to take a 970 that has fans rather than blowers though since they get better temps.

If you want to learn more about features offered by B150/h110/h170/z170 check here:

I've watched that video multiple times over many days (and literally within 1hour of posting last post) but a lot of it goes in one ear out the other trying to process all the new information while trying to remember what i know and what its all for and so on. 

As far as I can tell for my purposes I just need
-Socket 1151 : Check
-2x 2133MHz DDR4 : Check (has 4x)

-1x PCIe 3.0/2/0 (x16 mode, gray) : Check (I think that means it has PCIe x16 which I what need for my video card)
-Usb 3.0 : Check
-2x Sata 6gb/s : Check (for SSD and HDD, Has 6 total)

That's all I need? Things that concern me is I'm not 100% sure if this motherboard has a PCIe X16 would you be able to confirm it does?
In that video it says the 150B has high speed I/O lanes of 18 (compared to H170 of 22) is that important or something I should be concerned about? Also 150B doesn't have smart response technology (Which the H170 does have) is that something important or something should be concerned about? I have no idea what I/O high speed or smart response technology means.. (and I can't find good laymens terms descriptions/videos on them)

25 minutes ago, Billiam123 said:

I've watched that video multiple times over many days (and literally within 1hour of posting last post) but a lot of it goes in one ear out the other trying to process all the new information while trying to remember what i know and what its all for and so on. 

As far as I can tell for my purposes I just need
-Socket 1151 : Check
-2x 2133MHz DDR4 : Check (has 4x)

-1x PCIe 3.0/2/0 (x16 mode, gray) : Check (I think that means it has PCIe x16 which I what need for my video card)
-Usb 3.0 : Check
-2x Sata 6gb/s : Check (for SSD and HDD, Has 6 total)

That's all I need? Things that concern me is I'm not 100% sure if this motherboard has a PCIe X16 would you be able to confirm it does?
In that video it says the 150B has high speed I/O lanes of 18 (compared to H170 of 22) is that important or something I should be concerned about? Also 150B doesn't have smart response technology (Which the H170 does have) is that something important or something should be concerned about? I have no idea what I/O high speed or smart response technology means.. (and I can't find good laymens terms descriptions/videos on them)

Don't concern your self with lanes and PCI x16 unless you want to get NVMe SSDs or want to do SLI.

Pascal laptops guide