Is mounting a D5 pump on top of the power supply a bad thing?

Go to solution Solved by thekeemo,

Should be fine unless you have the PSU facing up.

So, since I stubbornly want to fit a D5 pump (actually, two of them) into a Fractal Node 804 (with four of Hardware Labs' L series 240mm radiators since I can get them locally), I did a bit of "guess-fitting" and it'd seem that the length of the power supply I intend to use won't give that space for a D5 on the other side (where the PSU takes place and the other two radiators I intend to fit in it) since it'll impede or intrude the space of where the cables are, which would apply unnecessary pressure on it (which I believe it'd damage them since, hey, its a PSU. Basically the heart of the PC.).

So, yeah, will mounting one (or two, since I intend to use EK's Revo D5 pump and Swiftech's tiny reservoir) D5 pump/s on top of the PSU be a bad thing since it also heats up its own enclosure at one point no matter how good the PSU is?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Well, you are also putting liquid on top of a power supply. I would worry about thermal expansion differentiation that may cause leaks. Do what you find necessary, but I would personally drill my own holes.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

13 minutes ago, WynLore said:

-SNIP-

That's not an issue having it above the PSU however a single D5 would be enough for that kind of loop 

Just now, thekeemo said:

So, if the fan is facing down (fan-side down) it should be alright, right?

Just now, FAQBytes said:

Well, you are also putting liquid on top of a power supply. I would worry about thermal expansion differentiation that may cause leaks. Do what you find necessary, but I would personally drill my own holes.

Would putting some sort of foam padding inbetween the PSU and the pump be a good alternative? There's really not much to drill on to mount a pump in the Node 804, really.

Just now, WynLore said:

Would putting some sort of foam padding inbetween the PSU and the pump be a good alternative? There's really not much to drill on to mount a pump in the Node 804, really.

Yes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, W-L said:

That's not an issue having it above the PSU however a single D5 would be enough for that kind of loop 

Well, having witnessed two rigs with a D5 (albeit I'm told one of them have been in those rigs for years while the other may have been a factory reject) just fail on itself. I'd personally like two D5s for redundancy (likelihood of two pumps failing at the same time is lower than the likelihood of a single pump failing at all at some point in time).

2 hours ago, WynLore said:

Is there not a PSU cover for this case? I personally wouldn't use foam, but I guess it would work.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

Just now, FAQBytes said:

Is there not a PSU cover for this case? I personally wouldn't use foam, but I guess it would work.

Well, the Node 804 has a second chamber dedicated for the PSU itself (basically the entire chamber is its "shroud", I guess) which it shares with the hard drive cages or fans and radiators. So, yeah, no shroud like the Enthoo Pro, Luxe, Primo, Evolv, or even the P series.

3 minutes ago, WynLore said:

Well, having witnessed two rigs with a D5 (albeit I'm told one of them have been in those rigs for years while the other may have been a factory reject) just fail on itself. I'd personally like two D5s for redundancy (likelihood of two pumps failing at the same time is lower than the likelihood of a single pump failing at all at some point in time).

Fair enough, that should be good as long as it can be solidly mounted and still have the res above and just before the pump. 

Alright, before I marked this as solved, just to confirm, its basically safe to mount it ontop of the PSU provided the res is on top of the pump and is fed without issues, right?

11 minutes ago, WynLore said:

use velcro or double sided foam/hobby tape to mount the pump there

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

use velcro or double sided foam/hobby tape to mount the pump there

Well, yeah, I'm gonna do that. I thought he meant to say that in a sense that the heat generated by the PSU may affect the temperature of the liquid/pump/etc...

3 minutes ago, WynLore said:

Alright, before I marked this as solved, just to confirm, its basically safe to mount it ontop of the PSU provided the res is on top of the pump and is fed without issues, right?

Yep as long as it's setup correctly and mounted well as mentioned with velcro or double stick foam tape it should be all good. 

Just now, W-L said:

Yep as long as it's setup correctly and mounted well as mentioned with velcro or double stick foam tape it should be all good. 

Alright, marking it solved. Thanks everyone :D

(I'm gonna mark @thekeemo as the one who solved it since he basically answered first... sorry bout that D:)