Windows is garbage, please send rescue team

DoctorEeevil

Okay, my friend is trying to upgrade from Vista to 10, and has his .iso, and is in his F12 menu (BIOS?), and we think we should be changing the boot device order, or something similar. The options it gives are "FDD, zip, cd rom, HDD". (capitalization may be different, although probably irrelevant.) Which device does he boot from to upgrade?

Where is the ISO ?
The boot order will depend of that.

but

I think you can launch the installation of 10 from the ISO directly.  Within vista.

Sorry, the ISO is on a USB thumbdrive. We tried to get it to upgrade from inside vista, but vista doesn't seem equipped to handle a windows 10 iso. It tries to open it with excel, and other wacko shit.

1 minute ago, DoctorEeevil said:

The options it gives are "FDD, zip, cd rom, HDD".

OK so you are right, you go to the BIOS and you change the boot order. You are supposed to put the USB in first.
You don't have USB in the list ?

Just now, Ginka said:

OK so you are right, you go to the BIOS and you change the boot order. You are supposed to put the USB in first.
You don't have USB in the list ?

Nope, so "USB" option. Again, this is me seeking tech support, so I can give tech support to my tech-stupid friend. He put the USB in before powering the computer on.

You should be able to use F2 or F12 to get a 1 time boot menu, but yes bios. If the option of a USB Device.

Put the thumb drive in to be sure it reads, power off, power on and f12 or f2 into bios.

Is it a bootable drive> you can't just copy the .iso

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, DoctorEeevil said:

Nope, so "USB" option. Again, this is me seeking tech support, so I can give tech support to my tech-stupid friend. He put the USB in before powering the computer on.

It may list the drive type/name/model ot just usb. If nothing else move hdd to the bottom and try it as that will try all options before the curren windows install.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Did you format and created a bootable usb ?
You can't just put the ISO on an usb, it won't work.

you can use soft like rufus or the windows usb bootable tool

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

You should be able to use F2 or F12 to get a 1 time boot menu, but yes bios. If the option of a USB Device.

Put the thumb drive in to be sure it reads, power off, power on and f12 or f2 into bios.

Is it a bootable drive> you can't just copy the .iso

Not sure if it's bootable yet. Any idea how to make it bootable, because I'd assume my bud didn't do that?

Not sure if it's bootable yet. Any idea how to make it bootable, because I'd assume my bud didn't do that?

use that
https://rufus.akeo.ie/

3 minutes ago, DoctorEeevil said:

Not sure if it's bootable yet. Any idea how to make it bootable, because I'd assume my bud didn't do that.

2 minutes ago, Ginka said:

Rufus is great for windows, you'll need a 8gb flash drive though.  Just run Rufus, select the drive, select the iso option and the iso file, and you should be set. 

Plug the drive into the target PC

Then, go to f2 or f12, disable fastboot or enable OS install mode, set the hdd as the last priority. Make sure to exit and save changes. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

Does Rufus work on mac? Because other stuff is fucked up about his computer, and he can't use the Vista one to run Rufus, only a mac he has.

20 minutes ago, DoctorEeevil said:

Does Rufus work on mac? Because other stuff is fucked up about his computer, and he can't use the Vista one to run Rufus, only a mac he has.

Oh dear lord, no rufus is windows and maybe linux only. 

I've never used these alternatives but you can try them 

http://alternativeto.net/software/rufus/?platform=mac

or read and try this 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6834011?start=0&tstart=0

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 hour ago, DoctorEeevil said:

wtf ^^
Did you succeed ?