Sound dampening foam

Pugsicle

I want to get some sound dampening foam because I game a bit at night and since I still live with my family they complain sometimes that they can here me despite my efforts to be quieter. I found a website that sells some for pretty cheap (Here is the website) but I am not sure what kind to get. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pros and cons of each kind?

I am a silent freak, And i use Acoustic foam in my room. I'll have you know that Acoustic panels won't reduce noise, it will just change the sound of the noise. It does reduce the noise a little bit, but not much. You have to get panels that are at least 4 inches (What i use) for people not to hear you outside your room. If you need anymore info PM me.

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

sound dampening foam is not the same as acoustic insulation

sound dampening foam reduces reflections to minimize echo, bass reverberations, or high frequency reflections

aurwg_2.jpg

acoustic isolation is a thick "insulation -like" material that you put between two walls and costs a metric ton of money

sol03HomeStudio-2-4d4adc4186634-4d5a831e

this is what keeps sound from leaking to the rest of your house

they usually need to be put between walls during house construction because a lot of it is toxic

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Sound-proofing/isolation requires several things.

• An unbroken, high-mass barrier around the sound source to absorb sound waves (vibrations)
  • Mechanical decoupling (room-within-a-room) to prevent the transmission of vibrations from the sound source
  • Air-tight seal of the sound source containment area (your room)

For an air-tight seal, make sure that your bedroom door fits tightly in the frame. You can buy adhesive door seals for cheap at the hardware store to assist with this. Check wall sockets for clear-air openings into adjacent rooms, and close air transmission registers while gaming.

The other two requirements are more challenging. Whatever method is used WILL require some remodeling; usually you will need to install a second layer of sheetrock with either some kind of sound-absorbing adhesive or else mass-loaded vinyl in between.

You may also need to treat the ceiling above your room if the attic crawlspace offers clear access to adjacent rooms.

As has been mentioned, acoustical foam will do nothing to block noise transmission. This kind of material is used to control the behavior of sound within a space.

38 minutes ago, Enderman said:

sound dampening foam is not the same as acoustic insulation

sound dampening foam reduces reflections to minimize echo, bass reverberations, or high frequency reflections

aurwg_2.jpg

acoustic isolation is a thick "insulation -like" material that you put between two walls and costs a metric ton of money

sol03HomeStudio-2-4d4adc4186634-4d5a831e

this is what keeps sound from leaking to the rest of your house

they usually need to be put between walls during house construction because a lot of it is toxic

So since sound dampening foam reduces echo, could I put the foam around my desk on the wall to reduce the noise that bounces off of the wall? I have no idea if that is correct I am just guessing.

2 minutes ago, Pugsicle said:

So since sound dampening foam reduces echo, could I put the foam around my desk on the wall to reduce the noise that bounces off of the wall? I have no idea if that is correct I am just guessing.

That won't help.

7 minutes ago, Pugsicle said:

it will help your microphone pick up your voice better

it wont help your family hear any less noise

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You can put those panels on but they wont do much for isolation, there used for reverberation. They will help a little for isolation but only a couple dB which is meaning less.
If your serious about it and dont mind losing a couple inches off your room size I know a few companies and ways to do it.

The Dick of the audio page!

14 hours ago, Pugsicle said:

I want to get some sound dampening foam because I game a bit at night and since I still live with my family they complain sometimes that they can here me despite my efforts to be quieter. I found a website that sells some for pretty cheap (Here is the website) but I am not sure what kind to get. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pros and cons of each kind?

ANY egg-crate soft foam. Like the kind for a gun case would even work.