Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sound dampening foam

I want to get some sound dampening foam because I game a bit at night and since I still live with my family they complain sometimes that they can here me despite my efforts to be quieter. I found a website that sells some for pretty cheap (Here is the website) but I am not sure what kind to get. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pros and cons of each kind?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am a silent freak, And i use Acoustic foam in my room. I'll have you know that Acoustic panels won't reduce noise, it will just change the sound of the noise. It does reduce the noise a little bit, but not much. You have to get panels that are at least 4 inches (What i use) for people not to hear you outside your room. If you need anymore info PM me.

CPU: me | Dark Rock Pro 3 | Asus Z170-A | 32GB Dominator Plats | 512gb SSD/4TB WD Black | 980Ti | BQ Silent Base 800 | EVGA 850w |

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01101100 01101111 01110110 01100101 01110011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101
BEST PC FOR THE PRICE:

$400 $500 $600 $700 $800 $900 $1000

If you want to Silence your PC/Room more, contact me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sound dampening foam is not the same as acoustic insulation

sound dampening foam reduces reflections to minimize echo, bass reverberations, or high frequency reflections

aurwg_2.jpg

 

acoustic isolation is a thick "insulation -like" material that you put between two walls and costs a metric ton of money

sol03HomeStudio-2-4d4adc4186634-4d5a831e

this is what keeps sound from leaking to the rest of your house

they usually need to be put between walls during house construction because a lot of it is toxic

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sound-proofing/isolation requires several things.

  • An unbroken, high-mass barrier around the sound source to absorb sound waves (vibrations)
  • Mechanical decoupling (room-within-a-room) to prevent the transmission of vibrations from the sound source
  • Air-tight seal of the sound source containment area (your room)

For an air-tight seal, make sure that your bedroom door fits tightly in the frame. You can buy adhesive door seals for cheap at the hardware store to assist with this. Check wall sockets for clear-air openings into adjacent rooms, and close air transmission registers while gaming.

 

The other two requirements are more challenging. Whatever method is used WILL require some remodeling; usually you will need to install a second layer of sheetrock with either some kind of sound-absorbing adhesive or else mass-loaded vinyl in between.

You may also need to treat the ceiling above your room if the attic crawlspace offers clear access to adjacent rooms.

As has been mentioned, acoustical foam will do nothing to block noise transmission. This kind of material is used to control the behavior of sound within a space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Enderman said:

sound dampening foam is not the same as acoustic insulation

sound dampening foam reduces reflections to minimize echo, bass reverberations, or high frequency reflections

aurwg_2.jpg

 

acoustic isolation is a thick "insulation -like" material that you put between two walls and costs a metric ton of money

sol03HomeStudio-2-4d4adc4186634-4d5a831e

this is what keeps sound from leaking to the rest of your house

they usually need to be put between walls during house construction because a lot of it is toxic

So since sound dampening foam reduces echo, could I put the foam around my desk on the wall to reduce the noise that bounces off of the wall? I have no idea if that is correct I am just guessing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pugsicle said:

So since sound dampening foam reduces echo, could I put the foam around my desk on the wall to reduce the noise that bounces off of the wall? I have no idea if that is correct I am just guessing.

 

That won't help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pugsicle said:

So since sound dampening foam reduces echo, could I put the foam around my desk on the wall to reduce the noise that bounces off of the wall? I have no idea if that is correct I am just guessing.

it will help your microphone pick up your voice better

it wont help your family hear any less noise

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can put those panels on but they wont do much for isolation, there used for reverberation. They will help a little for isolation but only a couple dB which is meaning less.
If your serious about it and dont mind losing a couple inches off your room size I know a few companies and ways to do it.

The Dick of the audio page!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Pugsicle said:

I want to get some sound dampening foam because I game a bit at night and since I still live with my family they complain sometimes that they can here me despite my efforts to be quieter. I found a website that sells some for pretty cheap (Here is the website) but I am not sure what kind to get. Anyone have any experience with this? Any pros and cons of each kind?

ANY egg-crate soft foam. Like the kind for a gun case would even work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×