Controller for controller games

Hemanse

With the new Dark Souls 3 comming out soon, i figured i would play through DS1 and 2, always wanted to, but just never got around to it. What i quickly figured out is that i am useless with a controller. I have a 360 controller which i have actually never used before and the last console i played was a NES. Tried playing Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard, but the game is obviously made to be played with a controller, even with the mouse and keyboard fix its still pretty terrible.

Thinking about maybe going for the Steam Controller, seen alot of negative and "meh" reviews on it, but im also guessing alot of them are from people that are used to using regular controllers, maybe the Steam Controller would be good for someone like me that is not used to using a controller at all.

Anyone happen to have experience with the Steam Controller or any other suggestions?

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

I just recently got an Xbox One controller with the Wireless receiver and love it! I've previously had the Xbox 360 controller and after 7 years of service it needed a replacement. Honestly I would recommend the Xbox One controller since in my opinion it feels like a solid upgrade over the Xbox 360 one. I wouldn't go with the Steam controller to be fair. My friend has one and I used it; despite it being pretty cool I'm not sure how you would like the layout of it.

I would stick with the 360 controller if it's still fine and working. If you aren't used to controllers the only way to adapt is use them more where switching to a completely different kind of layout on a controller may throw you off even more.

I haven't used a Steam controller, and can't offer an opinion about it. But if looking for a non-Steam controller, I recommend the PlayStation DualShock 4 controller. Works while having the app from either DS4Windows.com or Inputmapper.com installed, and once one of those are installed, simply turning on the controller will get it to work. Though a decent Bluetooth receiver is needed - but one can be bought for under $10 online. Onboard motherboard Bluetooth generally isn't that good, and has much higher latency times than a dedicated Bluetooth dongle.

The 360 controller is a pretty bad controller, to be honest: stiff, slow-pressing ABXY buttons, a useless D-pad, and cheap-feeling triggers. The Xbone controller maybe improves things, but still has stiff-feeling buttons, IMO.

The PS4 controller also has a touch pad, which can work as a mouse with your PC. And it has multi-button functionality: left-click, right-click, double-click, click-and-drag, scroll...

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Damikiller37 said:

I just recently got an Xbox One controller with the Wireless receiver and love it! I've previously had the Xbox 360 controller and after 7 years of service it needed a replacement. Honestly I would recommend the Xbox One controller since in my opinion it feels like a solid upgrade over the Xbox 360 one. I wouldn't go with the Steam controller to be fair. My friend has one and I used it; despite it being pretty cool I'm not sure how you would like the layout of it.

I would stick with the 360 controller if it's still fine and working. If you aren't used to controllers the only way to adapt is use them more where switching to a completely different kind of layout on a controller may throw you off even more.

Fair points, using the 360 controller awkward as hell for me, probably just because im not used to using controllers, im not a fan of the layout, which is why i though about the Steam Controller, gonna see if i can find someone who has one i can try out maybe.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I haven't used a Steam controller, and can't offer an opinion about it. But if looking for a non-Steam controller, I recommend the PlayStation DualShock 4 controller. Works while having the app from either DS4Windows.com or Inputmapper.com installed, and once one of those are installed, simply turning on the controller will get it to work. Though a decent Bluetooth receiver is needed - but one can be bought for under $10 online. Onboard motherboard Bluetooth generally isn't that good, and has much higher latency times than a dedicated Bluetooth dongle.

The 360 controller is a pretty bad controller, to be honest: stiff, slow-pressing ABXY buttons, a useless D-pad, and cheap-feeling triggers. The Xbone controller maybe improves things, but still has stiff-feeling buttons, IMO.

The PS4 controller also has a touch pad, which can work as a mouse with your PC. And it has multi-button functionality: left-click, right-click, double-click, click-and-drag, scroll...

Could also be an option, why i thought of the steam controller was because im already not used to a normal controller, so might be a good candidate to use it, since most criticism seems to come from people that are used to a normal controller that just cant get used to it :)

19 minutes ago, Hemanse said:

Fair points, using the 360 controller awkward as hell for me, probably just because im not used to using controllers, im not a fan of the layout, which is why i though about the Steam Controller, gonna see if i can find someone who has one i can try out maybe.

I have a steam controller, and I love it.

Except using the touchpad is practically impossible to use unless auto aim is on in shooters.

Things like rocket league work absolutely fantastic on it though, along with most of GTA

42 minutes ago, Knaj said:

I have a steam controller, and I love it.

Except using the touchpad is practically impossible to use unless auto aim is on in shooters.

Things like rocket league work absolutely fantastic on it though, along with most of GTA

Cool, i would only use it for something like Dark Souls, platformers and driving games. Would never use a controller for shooters etc :) Im gonna give up on Dark Souls 1 tho, the game is just broken on pc, even with mods (DSfix and so on), i made it look great with sweetfx, but it just runs like sh..

I have a Steam Controller. Played Batman Arkham Asylum with it. Takes a bit of getting used to but unless you're strongly opposed to a new type of controller I think it's worth it.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE