HD558 not amazed me

Rocki

I have new HD558, before I have Corsair Vengeance 1300.

I buy this headphones for music and gaming, and the sound in music is good but not amazing... Why?

I dissapointed and expected more.

Well, what did you expect? For a $180 headphone the HD 558's are pretty much as good as it gets. 

Maybe there is something else in the chain that is lacking. What quality are the music files you are listing to? 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Yeah sorry but that is not the mid or high end of sennheiser stuff.

You bought some of their lower end stuff........

Still it should be a good upgrade over what you had...

But if you are looking to delve into the headphone rabbit hole try to save up for HD600 or HD650

and invest in a good DAC and AMP.

Use the headphone for a month or so and then go back to your headset.

For a lot of people when they start using a higher-end audio, they still can't discern the difference in sound quality unless you jump immediately to an expensive setup. As you get used to the headphone (HD558) and then going back to the headset immediately, you'll notice the lost in sound quality almost immediately.

HD558 is one of those headphones that doesnt jump at you with its quality but you'll notice it when you to something else

2 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Wow, Sennheiser needs to update their list price: http://en-us.sennheiser.com/audio-headphones-high-end-hd-558

The less it costs the better, I guess. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

31 minutes ago, xtroria said:

Use the headphone for a month or so and then go back to your headset.

For a lot of people when they start using a higher-end audio, they still can't discern the difference in sound quality unless you jump immediately to an expensive setup. As you get used to the headphone (HD558) and then going back to the headset immediately, you'll notice the lost in sound quality almost immediately.

HD558 is one of those headphones that doesnt jump at you with its quality but you'll notice it when you to something else

Yes, HD558 much better than Corsair vengeance 1300, but I dont amazed from my HD558.

Many people say that the HD558 is amazing and very good headphones.

People also say that the ATH-M50x's are amazing, so there's that.

The HD558's are a good entry into the audio world, but I wouldn't go as far to call them amazing. They are however, a step above the majority of headsets, which tend to rely more on gimmicks and heavily tweaked frequency response.

35 minutes ago, Rocki said:

Yes, HD558 much better than Corsair vengeance 1300, but I dont amazed from my HD558.

Many people say that the HD558 is amazing and very good headphones.

They are about as good as it gets in that price range, maybe you don't like the sound signature and a different sound signature would be better for you.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

6 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

People also say that the ATH-M50x's are amazing, so there's that.

The HD558's are a good entry into the audio world, but I wouldn't go as far to call them amazing. They are however, a step above the majority of headsets, which tend to rely more on gimmicks and heavily tweaked frequency response.

Why HD558 dont amazing?

I listen to M50X and is ok but heavy bass for me.. dont like them.

the HD558 is new and I do not mean to buy new headset like HD600/650.

Just now, Rocki said:

Why HD558 dont amazing?

I listen to M50X and is ok but heavy bass for me.. dont like them.

the HD558 is new and I do not mean to buy new headset like HD600/650.

A headset, is a pair of headphones with an integrated microphone, like the Corsair Vengeance.

As others have mentioned, spend some time with the HD558s, and then try going back to your Corsair.:)

5 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

A headset, is a pair of headphones with an integrated microphone, like the Corsair Vengeance.

As others have mentioned, spend some time with the HD558s, and then try going back to your Corsair.:)

I will back to listen to my corsair and HD558 a lot better.

But I want better sound than HD558.

Just now, Rocki said:

I will back to listen to my corsair and HD558 a lot better.

But I want better sound than HD558.

What would constitute a better sound, to you? Perhaps you are looking for a particular signature, that the 558s simply aren't providing. Are you looking for more treble, bass, etc.?

2 minutes ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

What would constitute a better sound, to you? Perhaps you are looking for a particular signature, that the 558s simply aren't providing. Are you looking for more treble, bass, etc.?

More clear sound, more bass and more volume.

12 minutes ago, Rocki said:

More clear sound, more bass and more volume.

You are coming from a closed back gaming headset, which is going to have a greater bass response. Gaming headsets tend to exaggerate the low-end, and that combined with being closed back, you're going to hear a huge difference. As for the volume, if your hardware/software is configured properly, and you aren't achieving an appropriate level, amplification might be necessary. However, the 558s really aren't difficult to drive, so I'm suspecting an issue with configuration.

The bass in corsair is very very low.. HD558 have more bass but I want more bass but not heavy bass like on M50X.

2 minutes ago, Rocki said:

The bass in corsair is very very low.. HD558 have more bass but I want more bass but not heavy bass like on M50X.

You chose a Sennheiser pair of headphones, sennheiser pride them selves on having the most balanced sound stage so that it why the bass isn't as punchy, because it's more realistic of real world.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

If you are within the return window, that might be the best course of action. Something from V-Moda, or maybe even the ATH-M40x might be more suitable. I have a feeling that the Philips Fidelio X2s would also be more to your liking, but they have a much heftier price tag.

1 hour ago, SuicideAnomaly said:

If you are within the return window, that might be the best course of action. Something from V-Moda, or maybe even the ATH-M40x might be more suitable. I have a feeling that the Philips Fidelio X2s would also be more to your liking, but they have a much heftier price tag.

I do not buy a new headphones.

Why? Because you obviously don't like the "audiophile" open headphone sound signature. You're probably used to boosted, thumping bass or something. Subjectivity is everything with audio; you need to find out what sound clicks for you.

What about foam mod? I'm afraid.

or Maybe DAC resolve my problem?