What shoes to wear for a walk up a mountain?

Cy-Fy

Hey guys I soon have a sponsored walk up a mountain and I need to get new shoes because I broke all my general-purpose ones :P I was thinking that since I go to play football every so often I could get turf football shoes as they will give me pretty good traction on the field and up a mountain as well. But the only thing is that I don't know if the turf shoes will be very slippy on wet grass or damp dirt up the mountain so the other option I have is running shoes which most people seem to use but I have the same issue, I don't know if the soles of tunning shoes will give me enough grip up the mountain compared to actual rubber studs on turf shoes. So what do you think I should get?

Thanks for the advice!

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

Don't use football ones. To late to get new boots so just use running shoes. If you can get climbing boots, asolo or meindel

:/

Vibram five-fingers or something similar. It's better for you if you walk in as close to barefoot as possible. They don't need to be expensive, see if you can find some used ones and clean them out.

I know, you're hiking, you probably won't like the idea. But seriously, think about it.

How long a hike is it? Hiking boots are much better than any other kind of shoe when you're dealing with inclines and uneven surfaces. My favorite boot is Asolo, the ankle support is really good, so is the traction, but they're expensive as hell. Make sure to wear wool socks if you're doing any kind of distance, as cotton holds water like crazy (think of how heavy a pair of jeans is when wet) and will give you really nasty blisters from your feet sweating.

Running shoes or similar = NOPE. Tried it with nike freeruns and it was painful towards the end. Plus they did slip on wet grass.

I would suggest hardy climbing shoes or boots if possible (thick soles) - those are the most comfortable for long mt. hikes. Unless your a mt. man or use them a lot, those barefoot like shoes are bad for a first timer.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

I would hate using those five finger shoes going up a mountain. I can't imagine what those would be like going up a route with lots of little sharp rocks or hiking on talus fields.

1 hour ago, Yuval said:

Don't use football ones. To late to get new boots so just use running shoes. If you can get climbing boots, asolo or meindel

Just to make it clear I am not talking about actual football boots with studs or spikes... I mean the ones for indoor or artificial grass which have lots of little rubber studs on them. Would you still say no because I thought those little studs would help give me traction as they dig a bit into the wet grass/soil etc.

44 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

Running shoes or similar = NOPE. Tried it with nike freeruns and it was painful towards the end. Plus they did slip on wet grass.

I would suggest hardy climbing shoes or boots if possible (thick soles) - those are the most comfortable for long mt. hikes. Unless your a mt. man or use them a lot, those barefoot like shoes are bad for a first timer.

Yeah this is exactly what I wanted to know because I wasn't sure how much grip they would give me on wet surfaces as a lot of people seem to wear them... this is why I thought indoor football boots would help a bit

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

41 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Yeah this is exactly what I wanted to know because I wasn't sure how much grip they would give me on wet surfaces as a lot of people seem to wear them... this is why I thought indoor football boots would help a bit

If you walk over moss or wet rocks and the incline is steep enough, you'll def slip if you don't pay attention. After my first couple slips I paid extra attention to my footing but my feet still got sore from using running shoes. Learned my lesson and used boots after that.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

So long as it has ankle support your good, get some lighter hiking boots if you wont use heavy ones often :)

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

23 hours ago, Cy-Fy said:

Just to make it clear I am not talking about actual football boots with studs or spikes... I mean the ones for indoor or artificial grass which have lots of little rubber studs on them. Would you still say no because I thought those little studs would help give me traction as they dig a bit into the wet grass/soil etc.

They won't do shit, they won't be stable and you will fall. Don't get boots if the hike is close you need a week or so to break a new pair in. Running shoes are also intended to be used on soil and roads so it's the better choice 

:/

I do a fair bit of camping & hiking. I use a pair of Timberland work boots i've had for years (and wear to work).

Anything with a thick sole and ankle support should do you good. MAKE SURE TO BREAK IN YOUR BOOTS A FEW WEEKS BEFORE YOU LEAVE!!!!

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

Thick sole, a decent tread and ankle support. Thick sole means your feet aren't getting hurt by every little bit of gravel that makes itself felt through the bottom of the shoe. Decent tread gives you grip and the ankle/Achilles support means you won't turn your foot over halfway up and have to limp back down or call mountain rescue.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II