Alleged Copyright Infringement by ISP

Ajaydev Singh

Probably stop torrenting..

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Probably stop torrenting..

linus has talked about this if you rip video from a dvd and put media server what about that?

2 minutes ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

linus has talked about this if you rip video from a dvd and put media server what about that?

At the end of the day, your the only one using it. It is done using discs that you bought. You are only ever watching one copy (disc or digital) at a time, therefore no matter what your ISP say, or how much studios-to be frank-bitch and moan, they are not loosing any money, and you are not breaking copyright-indeed you are exercising your right to have a back up copy.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

If you are torrenting you should stop, depending on jurisdiction ( your profile says you are in the US ) the home media server thing might be illegal too. Linus has not, however, endorsed torrenting illegal stuff.

1 minute ago, mikat said:

they can't see that since you're not downloading from an outside source but just copying data from a dvd to your server?

Yes that all I am doing

3 minutes ago, Pietroglyph said:

If you are torrenting you should stop, depending on jurisdiction ( your profile says you are in the US ) the home media server thing might be illegal too. Linus has not, however, endorsed torrenting illegal stuff.

I am sure the home media server is not illegal. Its my right to rip stuff from dvd to digital file and put it my home server and watch it however I want to. I am just looking for some advise.

1 minute ago, mikat said:

they say it's about breaking bad season 5, and they provide a content url, so you are downloading it from the internet.

There was nothing in  content url

1 minute ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

Yes that all I am doing

in this situation, I'd show them the evidence and tell them that you are not violating with copyright-that's more diplomatic than the time where I got a similar message from Telstra for doing the same thing with my (then) LGA775 NAS which I was using to store my DVD on the HDD as MP4 and my favourite discs inside the DVD drive) so I could watch them at college. Since they focused on the movies which I was remotely watching off disc, I took a SS of the set up and only added this to it "fuck off, I'm remotely watching the DVD that I bought in store".

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

You stream to you phone when on the go? You must have an unlimited data plan. I would utilize the expandable storage on a device or a vpn, otherwise you may need to find another ISP when you get your third strike. 

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

2 minutes ago, Gix7Fifty said:

You stream to you phone when on the go? You must have an unlimited data plan. I would utilize the expandable storage on a device or a vpn, otherwise you may need to find another ISP when you get your third strike. 

Well not really always on the phone. Like in school etc.

2 hours ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

Well not really always on the phone. Like in school etc.

Well if its not on your personal device, there is a red flag.

If it is but your using a school network, theres a red flag.

I would suggest getting on the phone, explaining whats going on and ask for what information they where given and see if its a breach of your human rights but I'll be honest the way these people work, it sounds like you've been torrenting pirate copies. IF you haven't, if it's legitimately legal, maybe look at encoding the files.

How is this media server set up? Is it password protected? If not, then do that. If it is, then it sounds like someone has been either surveillancing you or obtained unauthorized access to your computer systems, which needless to say is illegal.

5 hours ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

I am sure the home media server is not illegal. Its my right to rip stuff from dvd to digital file and put it my home server and watch it however I want to. I am just looking for some advise.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripping#North_America

copyright law (Title 17 of the United States Code) generally says that making a copy of an original work, if conducted without the consent of the copyright owner, is infringement. The law makes no explicit grant or denial of a right to make a "personal use" copy of another's copyrighted content on one's own digital media and devices

In the UK "ripping" is illegal, even though everyone does it - doenst mean you wont get done for it if the authorities get bored.

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, Pietroglyph said:

True, and I don't think the home media server is illegal, i have no problems with my ISP about that, I torrent games though, my rule is: If I like it, I buy it. If I don't, then I don't. what's the point of supporting the makers of a game you don't like.

I7-6700k @ 4.8Ghz, EVGA Z170 Classified, Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8 32 GB, EVGA FTW+ ACX 2.0 GeForce GTX 980ti 6 GB x3, 2Tb WD Black x3, 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo, 400Gb Intel NVME PCIE SSD, Corsair RMx 850w 80+ Gold, Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Brown RGB, SteelSeries Sensei Raw

9 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I would agree, in most "western" countries it is illegal. I remember when I used to watch DVDs there was an FBI warning at the start about ripping (and I live in Canada).

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Could encryption be used in this scenario?

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

6 hours ago, Ajaydev Singh said:

Whether you believe it's your right or not it is illegal. I agree that you should be able to. But it is, currently, illegal.

Just contact the people that contacted you and tell them you rightfully paid for that content, and it is in your rights to use this media.

If they are mad at you for copying a disc then just tell them it is only for peronal use and not public. 

Then kindly tell them to fuck off. :)

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

2 minutes ago, MLGTurnip said:

Just contact the people that contacted you and tell them you rightfully paid for that content, and it is in your rights to use this media.

Then kindly tell them to fuck off. :)

but it IS actually illegal, so that would be pointless

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

1 minute ago, ShadowCaptain said:

but it IS actually illegal, so that would be pointless

I am not a pro but it should not be illegal to use the media you pay for privately. Maybe it is against the law, if it is than it is stupid.

• CPU AMD FX 8320E  Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P  RAM 8 GB Hyper X Fury 1866 mhz  GPU GTX 970 Strix 4gb OC  Case Antryx Verom  Storage 120 GB Kingston v300 and 1Tb Hard Drive  PSU Cooler Master GX750 80 Plus Bronze  Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120v Plus  Mouse Logitech G602 and Roccat Kova  Operating System Windows 10

Just now, MLGTurnip said:

I am not a pro but it should not be illegal to use the media you pay for privately. Maybe it is against the law, if it is than it is stupid.

Scroll up, i posted a link to laws, and quoted the important parts