Go to solution Solved by Josephdalepi,

people?

dont show off

try to help this guy out

not talk about how you did it

actually show how

explain methods

weve got to reteach this guy typing

I have been typing with two fingers for my whole life and it was fine for a while but then when i started pc gaming it really took it's toll. And by going on the LTT forums it made me wonder "what if i could type faster?"

because i can type at like 40 WPM which is not bad but not great. it hurts like hell and i can't not look at the keyboard or i will make lots of mistakes (especially in the dark) so i was hoping some of you forum warriors could help me :P

Thanks in advance :P

P.S this post took me 2 minutes to type.

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

do you play video games? I always typed with two fingers until i started pc gaming around middle school. After my left hand naturally went to WASD, It became my reference point for all my other fingers. I still dont type with my pinkie fingers though. I reach 70-100 WPM doing this.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Play games that need a lot of keybinds! Slowly, you'll be forced to muscle memory all the keys or you will lose :P

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

I used typing.com to learn how to touch type. It was required from my school to learn how to touch type. I went from 30 WPM to 65 WPM. It really helped me.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

12 hours ago, ProKeero said:

I have been typing with two fingers for my whole life and it was fine for a while but then when i started pc gaming it really took it's toll. And by going on the LTT forums it made me wonder "what if i could type faster?"

because i can type at like 40 WPM which is not bad but not great. it hurts like hell and i can't not look at the keyboard or i will make lots of mistakes (especially in the dark) so i was hoping some of you forum warriors could help me :P

start to learn to type

http://bigbrownbear.co.uk/learntotype/

something like this

after you get used to doing it like this, it all falls into place

I learned how to type properly because in school I had to write a bunch of reports.

Once time is limited, there's no choice but to learn to do it the fastest way possible.

4 minutes ago, ProKeero said:

I had typing lessons as a requirement in elementary school. I can get around 120 WPM on the right keyboard. I'd suggest you, rather than practice what you are doing now, learn keyboard etiquette (ya know, ASDF JKL; for your fingers and space for your thumb) and get faster on WPM tests.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

people?

dont show off

try to help this guy out

not talk about how you did it

actually show how

explain methods

weve got to reteach this guy typing

Just now, ProKeero said:

go chat with a bunch of 12 years old about computers

you will have to type fast just to argue with them about xeons are not the best processors and the 9590 is not a beast and titan gpu is not for gaming

best regards,

typing with 3 fingers but 90wpm

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

go chat with a bunch of 12 years old about computers

you will have to type fast just to argue with them about xeons are not the best processors and the 9590 is not a beast and titan gpu is not for gaming

best regards,

typing with 3 fingers but 90wpm

LOL 3 fingers? *walks out bedroom*

Kek

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, ProKeero said:

LOL 3 fingers? *walks out bedroom*

Kek

normally my left index finger, my right index and middle finger :D

just these 3

Just now, Moonzy said:

normally my left index finger, my right index and middle finger :D

just these 3

I use my both index fingers.

i type with like 6 fingers while looking at the keyboard and its actually pretty fast :P

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, Enderman said:

i type with like 6 fingers while looking at the keyboard and its actually pretty fast :P

But thats with 6 xD i use 2.

Just now, ProKeero said:

I use my both index fingers.

go practice here

Spoiler

Untitled.thumb.png.5f9149bf53688f5eeecae

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

1 minute ago, beebskadoo said:

You legend xD

Just now, ProKeero said:

You legend xD

You have no idea how true that is ;)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Honestly, just keep practising it. I used to be a really shitty typer (typist?), I almost failed the typing class I took in middle school actually, but here I am today tying with my eyes shut and not missing a beat. Try a couple of those "learn to type" kinda games on the internet, (there's actually a game on Steam called Typing of the Dead. You kill zombies by typing the word that appears in front of them. Then again, it's $20 and that's a bit much for a game you could play the equivalent of in your browser). Force yourself to look away from the keyboard, or cover your hands with a blanket if you can't help looking. Practice whenever you have free time.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

1 minute ago, steezemageeze said:

Honestly, just keep practising it. I used to be a really shitty typer (typist?), I almost failed the typing class I took in middle school actually, but here I am today tying with my eyes shut and not missing a beat. Try a couple of those "learn to type" kinda games on the internet, (there's actually a game on Steam called Typing of the Dead. You kill zombies by typing the word that appears in front of them. Then again, it's $20 and that's a bit much for a game you could play the equivalent of in your browser). Force yourself to look away from the keyboard, or cover your hands with a blanket if you can't help looking. Practice whenever you have free time.

Ok, dam americans with their typing classes xD. In scotland we dont even have IT class xD

Just now, ProKeero said:

Ok, dam americans with their typing classes xD. In scotland we dont even have IT class xD

Haha, it was like a general computer literacy class and we only had it for like 1 year. We spent half the year on Word, PPoint, & Excel, then the rest was typing. I was like the only one who enjoyed that class xD

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

Just now, steezemageeze said:

Haha, it was like a general computer literacy class and we only had it for like 1 year. We spent half the year on Word, PPoint, & Excel, then the rest was typing. I was like the only one who enjoyed that class xD

Lol lucky amercians :(.

I learned to touch type when my brother would always close the lights since we share a room and he prefers a darker room. I would get beat up if I resisted so I just tried to adjust and here's what I've started with:

1. I memorized where the q and p starts since the other letters would just be in between them.

2. Memorized where a and l is.

3. Memorized where z and m is.

4. Had my left ring finger handle the q,a,z. (My left ring finger is always resting on the q).

5. Had my right middle finger handle p.

Why should you do this? Because the key to muscle memory is to know exactly where the area of your keyboard is and by determining the left and right distances of the letters, you can now have a better visualization or *feeling* and calculate where the other keys should be. I can touch type from any keyboard and determine where each other letters go just by holding q and p. To help you better, the f and j keys have small bumps to them thus helping you more to find out where the other keys should be.

I find that it's extremely crucial to have these rested on their designated spots (again, this is subjective):

1. Left pinky finger rested on ctrl

2. Left ring finger rested on either q or a

3. Left thumb rested on spacebar

4. Right middle finger rested on p

5. Right pinky finger rested on enter

Here's my pattern but I advice you heavily that it differs based on your fingers. Also, I didn't put colors on the numbers because I automatically use the nearest finger to the target number which means at least 6 fingers would touch them.

Spoiler

k.thumb.png.1c6cccfcb6af7a7496f287a1edb1

Notice the bumps on f and j, rest your index fingers on them and then put the rest of your fingers along the rows in either direction so that asdf and jkl; have fingers on them. Then memorize the layout of the keyboard and play an MMO or go onto a chat with someone and try to type as quickly as possible. Once you get good you won't need to think what key you will be pressing and don't worry if your hands will be moving around the keyboard with varying levels of finger usage.

I learned by being taught to type in grades 4ish to 7ish but from those days all I really use is a memory of the keyboard and parts of the entire "home row" idea. Stuff that increased my typing speed, practice and a mechanical keyboard. By practice I mean typing stuff for assignments (essays,lab reports,etc), communication, programming, etc