Domino's autonomous delivery

Griffscavern

Can we as a species find any more ways to get fat by eating lousy ( I like pizza, but come on), and not having to get off our rears, except to punch in a code on the delivery vehicle?!! It seems that Domino's pizza is testing an autonomous delivery vehicle in Australia. It has an oven in it and you just have to go out and punch in a code to get your pizza hot and fresh.

They already charge more than $2 for a delivery fee (not a tip). I wonder how much more something like this is going to tack onto my order. The human race is letting technology make us lazy couch potatoes.

The article:

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/18/dominos-autonomous-pizza-delivery-vehicle/

Guess I can save some money by not having to tip the driver, unless they give this automon an attitude and spit radiator fluid on your pizza the next time it delivers to your house. Based on whether you tipped it the last time. :)

It's always a good day if you woke up breathing.

1 minute ago, Griffscavern said:

Can we as a species find any more ways to get fat by eating lousy ( I like pizza, but come on), and not having to get off our rears, except to punch in a code on the delivery vehicle?!! It seems that Domino's pizza is testing an autonomous delivery vehicle in Australia. It has an oven in it and you just have to go out and punch in a code to get your pizza hot and fresh.

They already charge more than $2 for a delivery fee (not a tip). I wonder how much more something like this is going to tack onto my order. The human race is letting technology make us lazy couch potatoes.

The article:

Guess I can save some money by not having to tip the driver, unless they give this automon an attitude and spit radiator fluid on your pizza the next time it delivers to your house. Based on whether you tipped it the last time. :)

This literally makes me loose more faith in humanity.  We just let technology do everything for us now.  They say that humans are gonna have major health issues from sitting so much and typing so much on our phones and keyboards.  It's great to have technology do stuff for us, but we need a reason to get off our lazy butts..  Humans shouldn't be 'needing a reason'.

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

I'm gonna be that guy and say that joke was a fail. Autonomous delivery instead of human doesn't make you any lazier when you are getting it delivered anyway. Are people in Oregon weird and go to pick up their own pizza when they order?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

9 minutes ago, ShadowDeity said:

This literally makes me loose more faith in humanity.  We just let technology do everything for us now.  They say that humans are gonna have major health issues from sitting so much and typing so much on our phones and keyboards.  It's great to have technology do stuff for us, but we need a reason to get off our lazy butts..  Humans shouldn't be 'needing a reason'.

throw your computer in the garbage then.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, Ramamataz said:

throw your computer in the garbage then.

Lol, As I said "It's Great to have technology to do stuff for us"

It's just we shouldn't be on it all the time, every day. 

// Floatplane Pilot //

Main Rig:  Motherboard: ASUS H270 - PLUS - CSM | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 16GB (2x8GB) | Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC - 02 | SSD: ADATA SU800 128GB HDD: WD 1TB Hard Drive | PSU: Corsair CX 550M | CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1070 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mechanical | Mouse: Razer Naga 2014 | Sound: Corsair VOID RGB / USB Headset | OS: Windows 10

Laptop:   Razer Blade Stealth 2016

31 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

I'm gonna be that guy and say that joke was a fail. Autonomous delivery instead of human doesn't make you any lazier when you are getting it delivered anyway. Are people in Oregon weird and go to pick up their own pizza when they order?

Call me weird but, yes, I always go and pick up my pizza. Yeah I use a little gas but not over $2 worth. That money is not given to the driver. They still want you to tip them, which I do if I don't want to go pick it up. All this is going to do, if it is eventually put into place, is cut more jobs and cost me more at checkout. I'm not sure how long it will be before this is a relevant thing world wide, but come on people!! Get off your rears and experience life outside.

Humans are letting technology make us zombies. Just watch people. They are so wrapped up in their phones, emails, facebook, twitter, etc. that they are basically oblivious to the real world.

25 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

Oh I thought they were doing delivery by drones.

Then we'd have more UFO sightings

Lol this is so true.

10 minutes ago, Griffscavern said:

Call me weird but, yes, I always go and pick up my pizza. Yeah I use a little gas but not over $2 worth. That money is not given to the driver. They still want you to tip them, which I do if I don't want to go pick it up. All this is going to do, if it is eventually put into place, is cut more jobs and cost me more at checkout. I'm not sure how long it will be before this is a relevant thing world wide, but come on people!! Get off your rears and experience life outside.

Humans are letting technology make us zombies. Just watch people. They are so wrapped up in their phones, emails, facebook, twitter, etc. that they are basically oblivious to the real world.

What you're doing is a good idea, but you're an outlier. Most people don't pick up their own pizza, lol. That's why the joke was off. I haven't eaten pizza in years and now I'm craving it. :(

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

What you're doing is a good idea, but you're an outlier. Most people don't pick up their own pizza, lol. That's why the joke was off. I haven't eaten pizza in years and now I'm craving it. :(

I like being an outlier. :)

I eat it when I don't feel like cooking after working for 12.25 hours a day, but I'm slowly backing away from it.

Sometimes you just have to give in to temptation. Just don't give in too often. ;) Moderation in everything is the key.

4 hours ago, Griffscavern said:

Wait... So it's lazy to get a pizza delivered? So you decide to go out and get it yourself. So far so good. But you drive to the place? How does that make a difference? You don't exactly burn off large amounts of calories by doing that. 

I would have expected you to walk or something when taking such a stance. 

I'm bewildered to say the least. 

I can speak from experience.

That "delivery fee" does not pay the driver. Allegedly, it pays for the commissary truck that brings supplies to Domino's, from Domino's warehouses. Delivery drives generally do get paid something per delivery, back when I was delivering it was 75 cents. Which is basically a slap in the face considering they don't get paid minimum wage, and they are required to claim their tips at the end of each night for tax purposes. Which is complete bull because a tip is not income, it's a charitable donation.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

2 hours ago, Trixanity said:

Wait... So it's lazy to get a pizza delivered? So you decide to go out and get it yourself. So far so good. But you drive to the place? How does that make a difference? You don't exactly burn off large amounts of calories by doing that. 

I would have expected you to walk or something when taking such a stance. 

I'm bewildered to say the least. 

If you read my post, just above yours, you'll see that I do this on days that I don't feel like cooking. The days when I come home from working 12.25 hours. When I'm at work I am not on my ass. I work on a manufacturing floor. So for 12.25 hours I am running around, lifting, and climbing on machinery. So yes, to answer your question, it's lazy. 

Technology is enabling people who are lazy all the time to continue being that way. It's going to take jobss away from real people, and cost me more at checkout.

11 hours ago, Griffscavern said:

The article:

You do realize, that from the sounds of this, this will actually be LESS LAZY then traditional delivery?

I don't know about you, but when I order pizza delivery, they walk their ass up to MY door. I just answer the door and get my pizza.

With this, I'll have to lug my ass down to the delivery car to get my pizza.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

11 hours ago, ivan134 said:

I delivered pizzas for a few years until I got robbed at gun point. It was a fun easy job.

In my experience, most people did in fact pick up their pizza.  It was not even close to 50:50.  Late night and early in the day sure it's mostly deliveries, but during prime business hours there was always far more carryouts than deliveries.

I ate so much pizza there.  I never gained a lb either.  Don't be scared of pizza bro.

5 hours ago, Griffscavern said:

If you read my post, just above yours, you'll see that I do this on days that I don't feel like cooking. The days when I come home from working 12.25 hours. When I'm at work I am not on my ass. I work on a manufacturing floor. So for 12.25 hours I am running around, lifting, and climbing on machinery. So yes, to answer your question, it's lazy. 

Technology is enabling people who are lazy all the time to continue being that way. It's going to take jobss away from real people, and cost me more at checkout.

The fact is money is made up, it has no real value.  People don't need to work.  We all confuse ourselves that it's necessary but we are all cogs on the wheel of society.  There are enough natural resources for us to all have excellent standards of living without needing  to be slaves to a weekly paycheck.

The sooner you let your ideals of what should be die, we can all move forward into the technological singularity.  You seem really concerned with how other people are lazy.  I think you should look inward to yourself, be happy that you aren't fat and lazy and stop looking down on everyone else.  Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that :)

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

I can speak from experience.

That "delivery fee" does not pay the driver. Allegedly, it pays for the commissary truck that brings supplies to Domino's, from Domino's warehouses. Delivery drives generally do get paid something per delivery, back when I was delivering it was 75 cents. Which is basically a slap in the face considering they don't get paid minimum wage, and they are required to claim their tips at the end of each night for tax purposes. Which is complete bull because a tip is not income, it's a charitable donation.

I used to deliver pizzas while I was going to school. I worked at a small local pizza place, not Domino's or Pizza Hut or the like. I never got paid per delivery, but I did make at little over minimum wage, and got to keep all the tips to myself tax free, although I tipped out the cooks about 20% of it every shift. Perhaps I would have to follow the crappy system you had to deal with if I worked for one of the big pizza companies.

10 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

The fact is money is made up, it has no real value.  People don't need to work.  We all confuse ourselves that it's necessary but we are all cogs on the wheel of society.  There are enough natural resources for us to all have excellent standards of living without needing  to be slaves to a weekly paycheck.

The sooner you let your ideals of what should be die, we can all move forward into the technological singularity.  You seem really concerned with how other people are lazy.  I think you should look inward to yourself, be happy that you aren't fat and lazy and stop looking down on everyone else.  Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that :)

4342684.jpg

27 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

I delivered pizzas for a few years until I got robbed at gun point. It was a fun easy job.

In my experience, most people did in fact pick up their pizza.  It was not even close to 50:50.  Late night and early in the day sure it's mostly deliveries, but during prime business hours there was always far more carryouts than deliveries.

I ate so much pizza there.  I never gained a lb either.  Don't be scared of pizza bro.

Dat cholesterol doh...

6 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Which is basically a slap in the face considering they don't get paid minimum wage

If they're not getting paid minimum wage, that is illegal. That's why it's defined as "minimum wage."

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If they're not getting paid minimum wage, that is illegal. That's why it's defined as "minimum wage."

In the US many states have a significantly lower minimum wage for the food service industry since a lot of them make money from tips. It's ok for waitresses and such since in modern society you're considered pretty much the worst person ever if you don't tip your waitress, even if both she and the restaurant were horrible, but tipping your pizza delivery guy is not as common.

Just now, Yog said:

In the US many states have a significantly lower minimum wage for the food service industry since a lot of them make money from tips. It's ok for waitresses and such since in modern society you're considered pretty much the worst person ever if you don't tip your waitress, even if both she and the restaurant were horrible, but tipping your pizza delivery guy is not as common.

I do not agree with the logic that they should not be getting minimum wage. That's quite frankly stupid to me. The amount of money you receive from tips is subjective, and it's not a guaranteed source of additional income, and therefore should not be necessarily considered. 

Tips should be treated as supplementary, not as part of the main source of income, due to the subjective nature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

3 minutes ago, Yog said:

It depends on the store but it's true most delivery drivers at the big chain stores are not making minimum wage.  I averaged double the minimum wage on tips though so it worked in my favor.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I do not agree with the logic that they should not be getting minimum wage. That's quite frankly stupid to me. The amount of money you receive from tips is subjective, and it's not a guaranteed source of additional income, and therefore should not be necessarily considered. 

Tips should be treated as supplementary, not as part of the main source of income, due to the subjective nature.

That's a noble stance but in the real world the almighty profit margin holds the reins, and that means paying people as little as you can get away with.  If there's no money to be made, people won't take the job.  If people take the job and don't make any money, they aren't very practical about why they're going to work in the first place.

I do agree though, it's not proper to take advantage of employees.  But again, in the real world that's just how it is.  Until we stop worrying about money as a society it will continue to be that way. 

2 minutes ago, tbake0155 said:

That's a noble stance but in the real world the almighty profit margin holds the reins, and that means paying people as little as you can get away with.  If there's no money to be made, people won't take the job.  If people take the job and don't make any money, they aren't very practical about why they're going to work in the first place.

I do agree though, it's not proper to take advantage of employees.  But again, in the real world that's just how it is.  Until we stop worrying about money as a society it will continue to be that way. 

It reminds me a bit of the company I work for. They participate in some things, including profit-sharing, and they happen to use that as a way to reduce hourly pay to employees(it's almost considered universal that the company needs to pay employees more money, considering the work we do, and how much money the company makes). For all intents and purposes, profit-sharing can be compared to tips - and they happen to suffer from the same problem. They're subjective. Profit-sharing though is more high-level. It involves the entire company doing well, as opposed to an individual. However, because of that subjective nature, it is not a reliable means of income and therefore should be considered supplemental. And therefore in my eyes, neither of them should be used as a way to reduce financial benefits or otherwise to workers. It's not fair.

The whole tipping thing is a bit odd to me. Here tipping is rare. Instead people are paid a good salary. That guarantees everyone makes a living. I can see the disadvantage in that you don't get "lucky" with having the occasional wealthy customer who hands out large tips but at the same time you never get shafted either.