PCI-E gaming performance in a 8x slot

Hello everyone

recently i bought a old server for home use. A hp ml350 g5 (specs: 20gb ram and 1 xeon e5410). It has 3 8x pci-e slots that are electrically 4x. If i would buy a 8x to 16x riser and use a graphics card. A cheap one for around $200 at what type of bottleneck would i be looking at. Is it max fps or display quality? and what type of games could it run at 60fps?

thanks in advance

x4 would be a performance bottleneck but not by much

you can find a lot of x4 vs x8 vs x16 comparisons on google

you wont be able to use SLI though

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I think crossfire allows you to use 4x slots so obviously AMD thinks it's good enough :)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That's going to be PCIe 2.0 if I'm not mistaken, still I haven't seen much of a difference between 8x and 16x in terms of performance.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

59 minutes ago, Spekham2013 said:

Hello everyone

recently i bought a old server for home use. A hp ml350 g5 (specs: 20gb ram and 1 xeon e5410). It has 3 8x pci-e slots that are electrically 4x. If i would buy a 8x to 16x riser and use a graphics card. A cheap one for around $200 at what type of bottleneck would i be looking at. Is it max fps or display quality? and what type of games could it run at 60fps?

thanks in advance

A pcie 2.0 x8 won't even bottleneck a titan.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

And pcie 2.0 x8 should preform about the same as pcie3.0x4 which you should have an option to set in your bios I know that it does on the hp dl160 g5. 

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

53 minutes ago, SLAYR said:

A pcie 2.0 x8 won't even bottleneck a titan.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Impact-of-PCI-E-Speed-on-Gaming-Performance-518/

And pcie 2.0 x8 should preform about the same as pcie3.0x4 which you should have an option to set in your bios I know that it does on the hp dl160 g5. 

What about 2.0 4x?  I get the feeling that's what OP has

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.