Original Titan vs. GTX 690

Darts401

nVidia's website claims the GTX 690 out performs the original Titan, I don't want to get into a debate war, but is this true?

Laptop specs:

CPU: Core i7 3630QM

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GT630M

RAM: 16gb of unknown origin

Storage: 1tb HDD (probably going to upgrade to an SSD at some point)

Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

1 minute ago, Darts401 said:

nVidia's website claims the GTX 690 out performs the original Titan, I don't want to get into a debate war, but is this true?

The 690 is a dual gpu card, so probably is true when both gpu cores are being utilized.

1 minute ago, Darts401 said:

Probably. If I remember correctly, the first Titan was a bit of a joke.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

in a perfect world the 690 would win, but SLI scaling is never perfect (much of the time it's complete shit) therefore the titan wins.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Unless SLI isn't supported, badly broken, or the 2GB VRAM on the GTX 690 limits performance, it handily beats the original Titan. Even the Titan Black, and the 780 Ti of course.

Just now, Sakkura said:

Unless SLI isn't supported, badly broken, or the 2GB VRAM on the GTX 690 limits performance, it destroys the original Titan. Even the Titan Black, and the 780 Ti of course.

Wait, the 690 doesn´t use the 4gb variants of the 680s?

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

Wait, the 690 doesn´t use the 4gb variants of the 680s?

Nope. It's 2x2GB, effectively 2GB. And that can be a serious problem for the 690 today.

8 minutes ago, Darts401 said:

seeing as the 690 is a dual gpu card, it probably can.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

9 minutes ago, Darts401 said:

theres nothing to debate about

SLI = 690 wins (if it scales well)

Single GPU = Titan Wins

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Here is a graph from when the 780 Ti launched:

Spoiler

6rXXhOI.gif

Note that the 690 (and 7990) is held back here, because of several factors:

AC3 just hated multi-GPU.

Skyrim and Starcraft II were bottlenecking all over the place, squeezing the cards together in performance.

And many of the other games were bottlenecking at least at lower resolutions. Crysis 1, Sleeping Dogs, WoW etc.

10 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Probably. If I remember correctly, the first Titan was a bit of a joke.

In comparison to what we have today, yes. However, when it was launched, it was quite a bit more powerful than all other single GPU cards and remained at the top for a long time. 

Before the Titan, Nvidia and AMD were constantly leap frogging each other for the top spot in performance. After the Titan, Nvidia has pretty much held the top spot the majority of the time. It was one of the first very expensive cards to be released. I think it was the first $1000 gaming GPU released. 

40 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

In comparison to what we have today, yes. However, when it was launched, it was quite a bit more powerful than all other single GPU cards and remained at the top for a long time. 

Before the Titan, Nvidia and AMD were constantly leap frogging each other for the top spot in performance. After the Titan, Nvidia has pretty much held the top spot the majority of the time. It was one of the first very expensive cards to be released. I think it was the first $1000 gaming GPU released. 

It also got its ass kicked by the 780ti, which was supposed to be worse.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL