Used Parts build to destroy the PS4

1 hour ago, AlienALX said:

You can usually tell if it will work before you even attempt it. It's caused by modern solder being made from tin rather than lead. Lead was far more dense and more flexible. So what happens is over time the PCB expands and contracts with heat and due to the tin solder being quite brittle it then snaps at the contact point, breaking contact with the GPU core. The symptoms are lines down the screen, blocks, artefacts and more than likely crashing (with the driver stopped but then recovered message). If left long enough you won't be able to load a driver for the card at all. It's very rare for a card with this fault to be stone dead though, but I guess if the issue was bad enough it could stop booting all together.

The reason it is hit and miss is because the card could be dead for other reasons (failed components, bad memory, bad memory controller, failed MUX and so on. Baking does not making components work again.

I did a lot of research into this a few years ago and a professional reflow oven (yes they actually exist) is basically a small convection oven (with a fan in it to make sure the heat is even throughout the oven). The only area they truly differ from a regular fan oven is that they heat up slowly and then cool down slowly to prevent any distortion of the PCB or fast expansion/contraction which could break the solder contact all over again.

The only issue? the repair will never last. Sometimes it will limp on for a few months, sometimes merely a few hours. The problem is you have not fixed the problem, which is damaged/weakened solder and you have not replaced the flux (the acid/glue that makes the contacts stick).

So nice job OP and I hope it lasts as long as possible for you :)

thanks for the info.. even if it doesnt last for a year, i dont care, because i'm already planning to get the new nvidia when it comes out, then sticking my "old" 970 to that rig there.

Here we go with the build! 

As you see in the pictures, my thermal paste went a little "cocky" :D

unfortunately there was no way to fit my AIO into that case, so i will go for the stock cooler until the final case arrives in about 2 weeks.

The system is up and running! :) Going to do some better pictures tomorrow

8a2f97ec-a389-4c02-88f0-4bce9696b56d.jpg

51c26f78-00de-4655-b866-e529cd109284.jpg

12421265_10208754469200711_1922366258_n.jpg

12443397_10208754477360915_417637765_o.jpg

12596561_10208754472320789_777427949_o.jpg

12722672_10208754470200736_449839049_o.jpg

47 minutes ago, Suicidal Korean said:

Now that's how you apply thermal paste. 

Yeah OP aren't you gonna censor that?  There's kids on this site... :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

You got your 270x cheaper than I did. I didnt try an oven reflow, but lets just say they dont last... -snip-

You better be an engineer or something cuz that desk is messy. But hey, nice keyboard.

@OP I like the way you put on that thermal paste. If you know what I mean. (When you drop subtle hints)

2 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

You better be an engineer or something cuz that desk is messy. But hey, nice keyboard.

@OP I like the way you put on that thermal paste. If you know what I mean. (When you drop subtle hints)

I actually do CAD work sometimes. I am just an electrical tinkerer who cannot seem to understand the concept of "cleaning"

Also thanks, it has cherry MX browns :D

Holy shit guys! 

I just installed windows 10 on my "potato on steroids" (i know not exactly what you would call a potato but besides my main pc, it's clearly the potato) installed steam, copied csgo over, started.. booom constant over 300fps at fullhd and max details!

i kinda love this, since its my main game, and one of the most commonly played games today, so hitting stable 300fps with no oc yet... i consider this as rocksolid. this is even more fps than shroud gets on his C9 gaming pc... and i bet my firstborn that his was way more expensive.

what i would sum up: if you know what you are doing, and you want to keep it cheap, go for used parts! it's amazing how much you can get out of 200-300$ when you are patient and wait for the best offer.

to all the people that told me my gfx card will only last a couple hours: it was running for almost 48 hrs straight with no sign of failure, so i consider this as permanently fixed.

On 16/03/2016 at 9:33 PM, iamdarkyoshi said:

You got your 270x cheaper than I did. I didnt try an oven reflow, but lets just say they dont last...

1458163934528497146899.thumb.jpg.056d79b

What Keyboard is that? I want it

Main Rig - Case: Corsair 200R   Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z270-GAMING-K3  CPU: Intel i5 7600 RAM: Corsair H55 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB 3000MHz SSD: Crucial MX500 1 TB 

HDD: 2TB WD Green  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Windforce  PSU: Corsair CX 600W  

HTPC - Case: CiT MTX-007B   Motherboard: Biostar H61MGV3, CPU: Intel i5 2400  RAM: Patriot 4GB 1333MHz SSD: 240GB Toshiba SSD PSU: 180W CIT (Came with case)

Corsair 200R Front Bezel Mod

the AeroCool GT-RS cube arrived today, unfortunately the clearance at the GPU doesnt allow me to fit a fan in front of the radiator.. but temps are pretty okay with only one fan since i dont OC too much (4,0ghz boost is enough for all the games i own) I'm pretty happy with the outcome since everything is as good as new.

as a little bonus i managed to build a XBox 360 Controller Receiver into the other side of the case. 

0bc34289-a230-47e6-a026-cb410fb28af8.jpg