2 r9 390(x) vs 2 r9 fury(x) for 4k?

Phoenix721

As some of you may know, I may buy a really nice gaming computer in summer. I want to do 4k gaming (or 144 hz 1080p) and I am really skeptical about it. Now, before all of you jump at me and say "get 2 furies, they will perform much better at 4k" or "get 2 980(ti)s they are better!" Well, first of all I refuse to give any money to nvidia and second, won't the 4gb of Vram that the fury and fury x be an issue at 4k? I don't want to upgrade my cards for 3  years or so and some people have recommended purchasing 2 r9 390s (or 390x) , waiting for the new GPUs to come out, since 2 r9 390s can handle 4k really well and 1080p 144hz even better. What do you think?
EDIT: I understand that 2 furies, being faster and all, will give more longevity to my computer, but the memory is a real issue.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

1 minute ago, Phoenix721 said:

As some of you may know, I may buy a really nice gaming computer in summer. I want to do 4k gaming (or 144 hz 1080p) and I am really skeptical about it. Now, before all of you jump at me and say "get 2 furies, they will perform much better at 4k" or "get 2 980(ti)s they are better!" Well, first of all I refuse to give any money to nvidia and second, won't the 4gb of Vram that the fury and fury x be an issue at 4k? I don't want to upgrade my cards for 3  years or so and some people have recommended purchasing 2 r9 390s (or 390x) , waiting for the new GPUs to come out, since 2 r9 390s can handle 4k really well and 1080p 144hz even better. What do you think?

Two Fury X's. the fury is more powerful than the 390 (i think though i'm 80 percent sure) but the 390's are cheaper so what ever works for you mate!

hope this helps :P

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

2 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:
Just now, ProKeero said:

Two Fury X's. the fury is more powerful than the 390 (i think though i'm 80 percent sure) but the 390's are cheaper so what ever works for you mate!

hope this helps :P

The memory is what is really troubles me, though.

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

The memory is what is really troubles me, though.

Get a card with lots of vram, like the 980 Ti but those are fucking expensive xD so go for a 4 GB card at the minimum. Fell bad if you buy a 2GB card for 4K xD

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x 4.9Ghz PBO    SSDs: 250GB 850 Pro           STEAM: KezzaMcFezza
GPU: GTX 1070 Strix                                     250GB 970 Pro           MOBO: MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus

HDD: 1TB WD Black Drive                             500GB 860 Evo          MOUSE: Logitech G502

Just now, ProKeero said:

Get a card with lots of vram, like the 980 Ti but those are fucking expensive xD so go for a 4 GB card at the minimum. Fell bad if you buy a 2GB card for 4K xD

I refuse to buy an nvidia product and also, games in 2-3 years might require more than 4GB for 4k high settings. What am I supposed to do if that happens? :P

12 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

EDIT: I understand that 2 furies, being faster and all, will give more longevity to my computer, but the memory is a real issue.

I don`t quite understand why you don`t want to give money to Nvidia?

17 minutes ago, Dewam said:

I don`t quite understand why you don`t want to give money to Nvidia?

I hate their shady business practices.

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

I hate their shady business practices.

well, ok. Thats totally up to you. Would have recommended the 980ti though, with space for running another 980ti later in SLI.

if you want 4k@60fps id wait, 2x fury's won't be able to do this in all games, it's not down to the memory as 4gb of HBM is enough, it's down to the furys GPU  running out of grunt.

A 1080p or 1440p freesync monitor and a single fury will give you an excellent experience for the next 2 or 3 years....and you won't have the small amount of issues that crossfire can throw up.

I commend you for not buy Nvidia though, if more people did the same, their shady practices would soon end.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

I would rather wait for Polaris. The 4GB issue of the Fury cards is not one that could be resolved with HBM1 technology. HBM2 memory, will have capacities of 8 and 16GB, and there have been talk about workstation cards with 32GB HBM2.

What you can do, if you really want to upgrade now is to get a high quality freesync monitor now, and get the GPU later.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

4GB of HBM is fine.

56e5814d3ebde_FuryXvRAMscalingtwo.png.aa56e5814e3eb7f_FuryXvRAMscaling.png.7c864

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

Indeed 4gb of HBM enough....

There reason Nvidia/AMD DDR cards need more is because it can't get the data though the wide enough, resulting in the framebuffer backing up filling all 6GB on the TI and even more on the Titan X....The fury cards have a much wider bus enabling data to flow in larger amounts, and therefore it does not need a bigger frame buffer than 4gb.

The educated amongst you will know this, but this is for the uneducated, who don't understand how memory on video cards works. who think 4gb of DDR is comparable to 4GB of HBM.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

1 hour ago, super_skank said:

if you want 4k@60fps id wait, 2x fury's won't be able to do this in all games, it's not down to the memory as 4gb of HBM is enough, it's down to the furys GPU  running out of grunt.

A 1080p or 1440p freesync monitor and a single fury will give you an excellent experience for the next 2 or 3 years....and you won't have the small amount of issues that crossfire can throw up.

I commend you for not buy Nvidia though, if more people did the same, their shady practices would soon end.

2 r9 furies can handle 4k on medium+ settings pretty well and will continue doing so. The 4GB is what really troubles me, yet again.
Yes, thank you for that last bit.

Just now, super_skank said:

Indeed 4gb of HBM enough....

There reason Nvidia cards need more is because it can't get the data though the wide enough, resulting in the framebuffer backing up filling all 6GB on the TI and even more on the Titan X....The fury cards have a much wider bus enabling data to flow in larger amounts, and therefore it does not need a bigger frame buffer than 4gb.

The educated amongst you will know this, but this is for the uneducated, who don't understand how memory on video cards works. who think 4gb of DDR is comparable to 4GB of HBM.

So, no problems with 4GB of HBM?

Nope, there shouldn't be for a while...the data is in and out so fast it does not have time to get backlogged....The shadow of mordor benches are an extreme case, that game has very high textures, which cripple 4gb GDDR5 cards....Yet HBM just handles it as if it's nothing.

1 minute ago, super_skank said:

Nope, there shouldn't be for a while...the data is in and out so fast it does not have time to get backlogged....The shadow of mordor benches are an extreme case, that game has very high textures, which cripple 4gb GDDR5 cards....Yet HBM just handles it as if it's nothing.

Damn, that's pretty good to know. Thank you.

since you want to do 4K I'd wait for polaris to be honest and see what HBM2 on a smaller process node can do :)

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

35 minutes ago, LukaH said:

since you want to do 4K I'd wait for polaris to be honest and see what HBM2 on a smaller process node can do :)

I found out that polaris will be released before september, which is amazing for me since I would probably buy the computer in august.