Second 390x or Fury X?

BlackXbonE
Go to solution Solved by BlackXbonE,
1 minute ago, Sky Daddy said:

you're going to have a much better experience with a single gpu over 2 weaker gpus

who knows about polaris's power, but I'd bet the flagship will be 2x faster than a 390x or greater (a 980ti is only about 20-30% than 295x2 and that's games with great scaling)

You mean the 980ti is 20-30% slower than a 295x2? 

Well if everyone here tells me to wait, then maybe I save some more money so I can do a full system upgrade later this year. 

Thanks anyway for all your replies once more! :) 

I got a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor and one ASUS R9 390x so far, but my GPU could only handle about 60 fps in Shadow of Mordor and other AAA games, so I want to upgrade my graficspower. 

I got two options: 

1) Sell my actual card for 300€ and get a fury x for ~ 660€

2) Get a second R9 390x for ~400€

Since I got a 1440p monitor the fury X wouldn't be able to make use of it's full HBM potential from what I saw in many benchmarks i've seen so far. 2 390x X-fire should get shadow of mordor's fps up to around 120-130 fps, which would nearly reach my monitor's max so that would be ptretty nice. On the other hand, the benchmarks I saw were mostly featering highend CPUs such as a 5980x or 5860k, so would my I7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz bottleneck this rig? Anyway, i plan on upgrading to an "higher-end" AMD Zen later this year, IF performence turns out ot to be as good as promised. Otherwise I'll wait for Intels next gen to upgrade my CPU.

Also: Will my 850W XFX PSU (80+bronze) be enough to power 2 390x'?

P.s.: I got plenty of Airflow, a huge 2x200mm fans blowing air directly onto the gpu-slots e.g., so cooling shouldn't be a big problem.

Polaris is just around the corner, I think it would be better to wait.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

34 minutes ago, Citadelen said:

Polaris is just around the corner, I think it would be better to wait.

Still 2 390x' should still be better then 1 of any Polaris cards and I'd end up spending less money aswell. Wouldn't I?

i would wait.

just turn down settings to get more fps

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Just now, Majestic said:

So you bought a freesync panel and now want to hit a static number?

I think you're grossly missing the point of that technology....

No I am not aiming fo a static number, I know that freesync is already making hte game look way smoother down to 40fps, but still, what are the 144Hz of my monitor good for if can't even come close to it. And still 120 fps look way better then 60 in my eyes (as i know from less demanding games) :D

2 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

No I am not aiming fo a static number, I know that freesync is already making hte game look way smoother down to 40fps, but still, what are the 144Hz of my monitor good for if can't even come close to it. And still 120 fps look way better then 60 in my eyes (as i know from less demanding games) :D

Smoother screen transitions due to the scantime being 6,9ms instead of 16.6ms? You don't have to run 144fps to make good use of 144hz. 

I mean I ain't stopping you if you want to buy it. But the tech was invented just for this scenario.

Just now, Majestic said:

Smoother screen transitions due to the scantime being 6,9ms instead of 16.6ms? You don't have to run 144fps to make good use of 144hz. 

So you're telling me that any game will look as good on 60 fps as it would on 144fps, is that the point? My experience tells me something different.

50 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

Still 2 390x' should still be better then 1 of any Polaris cards and I'd end up spending less money aswell. Wouldn't I?

you're going to have a much better experience with a single gpu over 2 weaker gpus

who knows about polaris's power, but I'd bet the flagship will be 2x faster than a 390x or greater (a 980ti is only about 20-30% than 295x2 and that's games with great scaling)

1 minute ago, Sky Daddy said:

Well if everyone here tells me to wait, then maybe I save some more money so I can do a full system upgrade later this year. 

38 minutes ago, BlackXbonE said:

ha, i'm pretty tired but yeah that's what i meant indeed

i'd say you're in no need of a full system upgrade at all

I'd recommend more toys like VR/racing wheels/flight sticks/etc