Better air-cooled GPU? Nano or Fury?

BurstSMG
Go to solution Solved by jhurst117,
Just now, ZillaGames said:

Please don't say "Get a 980 TI". I want either the Fury or the Nano, I just want to know which one performs better

nano. since its pretty much a fury x with a way lower tdp

Just now, ZillaGames said:

Yeah, but I like playing it safe. Also, the Nano fits in literally ANY case. A GPU like the Tri-X might block drive bays!

Blocking drive bays..

1. Cases have like 20 drive bays just use another one

2. When it is blocked you just have to take out the GPU install the HDD then reinstall the GPU

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

this first link is to the cost of a Nano

http://www.ebuyer.com/722454-powercolor-r9-nano-4gb-hbm-hdmi-3x-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-axr9-nano

the second link to the same website is for a fury

http://www.ebuyer.com/718837-asus-r9-fury-strix-4gb-hbm-dvi-hdmi-3-x-displayport-pci-e-strix-r9fury-dc3-4g

Is 4Fps really worth an extra 120 pound

Just now, danrey84 said:

this first link is to the cost of a Nano

http://www.ebuyer.com/722454-powercolor-r9-nano-4gb-hbm-hdmi-3x-displayport-pci-e-graphics-card-axr9-nano

the second link to the same website is for a fury

http://www.ebuyer.com/718837-asus-r9-fury-strix-4gb-hbm-dvi-hdmi-3-x-displayport-pci-e-strix-r9fury-dc3-4g

Is 4Fps really worth an extra 120 pound

it does appear that the nano in UK is slightly cheaper...but not by 120...around 60...which is pretty good i guess.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/#c=326,330&sort=a8&page=1

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Unless my math is wrong then the 2 options I gave you there is a difference of 120 pound give or take??

Agreed there are some cheapers but those were the 2 I picked. still if we take your figures then of it being 60 pound cheaper. if its 4fps more that a fury gets it equates to costing you 15 pound per frame.

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

Unless my math is wrong then the 2 options I gave you there is a difference of 120 pound give or take??

yes but you've picked like the most expensive Fury vs the cheapest Nano...check my PC partpicker link they are all listed there...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

1 minute ago, danrey84 said:

Why suggest a card from Asus when a better one can be had for cheaper? 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/sapphire-video-card-112470340g

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/90086-sapphire-radeon-r9-fury-nitro/?page=12

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

As I said we will take the lowest nano and the lowest fury then. Its 60 pound cheaper. so for 60 pound more you get 4 extra Fps. is it worth it probably not as each frame has cost you in theory 15 pound.

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

As I said we will take the lowest nano and the lowest fury then. Its 60 pound cheaper. so for 60 pound more you get 4 extra Fps. is it worth it probably not as each frame has cost you in theory 15 pound.

Did you not see the review of the Nitro? Its as fast as the Fury X once you just put some clocks on it and thats it. It can even be faster if you so wish. 

Is a card cheaper than a Fury X and 980 Ti and faster than them both worth it? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Yes I'm not doubting you. Its a no brainer if something is cheaper and as fast as say the leading competition. Just out of interest are you on the Sapphire payroll your pushing it hard lol 

3 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

Yes I'm not doubting you. Its a no brainer if something is cheaper and as fast as say the leading competition. Just out of interest are you on the Sapphire payroll your pushing it hard lol 

Yea someone's a fanboy just because they're pushing it hard. Right. 

Only Sapphire has a non ref design that can reach 1200Mhz on air. You only see me recommending the Nitro not the Tri X. 

I was joking jesus lol. Its a very good card I'm not saying it isn't.

just seen the price its 439.99.

I will admit at that price its good. Still 90 pound more but some good performance too warrant paying that extra 90 pound

3 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

I was joking jesus lol. Its a very good card I'm not saying it isn't. How much is it just out of interest???

Well than I guess you must be on an AMD payroll. Pushing the nano way too hard. 

Cheaper than the strix you linked. I already provided the pcpp link in my post above.

No mate I just think for the size the nano is. The performance for what u get and how much it is at the moment isn't bad at all. Yes the Nitro is Veryyyyy fast card with good cooling. Lets face it if it had all that cooling and wasn't getting the extra performance from an overclock then u would have to be worried.

2 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

No mate I just think for the size the nano is. The performance for what u get and how much it is at the moment isn't bad at all. Yes the Nitro is Veryyyyy fast card with good cooling. Lets face it if it had all that cooling and wasn't getting the extra performance from an overclock then u would have to be worried.

I was just joking Jesus lol. 

Obviously the cooler the card, the harder you can push it. If its similar to how the 390/x did. A 50mhz or so increase on the Fury will make it as fast as the Fury x which is already faster than the nano.

The Nano will always suffer as lets face its got 1 fan compared to say the nitro which has 3 and the fury x which are water cooled but I think if you popped the nano say in a mid tower which has got plenty of case fans with good circulation. I think you could get a good overclock out of it.

4 minutes ago, danrey84 said:

The Nano will always suffer as lets face its got 1 fan compared to say the nitro which has 3 and the fury x which are water cooled but I think if you popped the nano say in a mid tower which has got plenty of case fans with good circulation. I think you could get a good overclock out of it.

You need way more than just that. The cooler won't be able handle it once u start adding more voltage. 

All that money spent on a case and multiple expensive fans makes the nano less worth it. 

1 hour ago, danrey84 said:

People speak of this throttling but I have never had below 933MHz on mine. A lot of throttling is due too heat but my Nano never has that problem. On a side note I went Nano as it was 70 pound cheaper compared to the fury.

933 MHz is slow. With a Nitro Fury you can get up to 1200 which most Fury X can't even get to.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

@ivan134 yea we were saying that. That nitro variant is a tank off a card and pretty much slaps the fury x in the face with a big fish lol. Yea I do agree also with you @Pohernori if you buy the nano then start having to add good case fans then u may aswell buy the Nitro I agree with you 1000% but if you have the case cooling already in place and fancy a fury card I don't think at 350 pound you could complain for a Nano Yes there are better options of course within the amd fury range but that comes with a price.

This how I run mine at the moment. When its in games the fan kicks in big time lol. I like to here my rig sound like a jet engine lol.

Untitled1.png

The nano is a great value right now in the UK

The fury however is a slightly better performer, given that in warmer climates the Nano will throttle (can be reduced by extending the power limit) and that the fury can overclock.

I am running a 12% overclock (1120Mhz) on my Fury, and i am getting a significant performance bump.

Also the Sapphire variants of the Fury run pretty much silent, and stay under 60c with a custom fan curve

Either way can't go wrong.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

>_> Thanks for all the replies so far

GTX 1070 - Ryzen 5 3600x - Corsair H100i V2 - 32GB DDR4 3200

Spoiler

Check out my Minecraft channel here!

9 hours ago, super_skank said:

The nano is a great value right now in the UK

The fury however is a slightly better performer, given that in warmer climates the Nano will throttle (can be reduced by extending the power limit) and that the fury can overclock.

I am running a 12% overclock (1120Mhz) on my Fury, and i am getting a significant performance bump.

Also the Sapphire variants of the Fury run pretty much silent, and stay under 60c with a custom fan curve

Either way can't go wrong.

Is Canada a warm climate?

Spoiler

Probably warmer than the UK...I think Canada has warm summers and very cold winters, where as here in the UK we just have 12 months of rain.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Just now, super_skank said:

Probably warmer than the UK...I think Canada has warm summers and very cold winters, where as here in the UK we just have 12 months of rain.

12 months of rain... Are you sure you don't live in Vancouver, BC?

Spoiler

last time i checked. nope....

Here we barely touch 27c here in summer, most days are around 20c....which is ok for a Nano....anything above 25c id imagine the Nano will start to thermal throttle...or at least get extremely hot and loud.