Would i get a higher overclock headroom with watercooling my gpu?

DND

Hey guys i have a gtx 970 g1 gaming well i was planning to upgrade to a gtx 980ti but it seems i can't really save enough money as fast as i can to get it by this month. So i'm planning to just watercool my gtx 970 g1 using the kraken g10 and maybe the kraken x31 or if you could recommend any aio liquid cooler it would be awesome if you would, and i'm planning to overclock it as high as i can cause right i can't seem to overclock it that much and i am getting really unstable results and the temps of my g1 gaming would go as high as 76-80C depending on the oc settings and even at stock clocks it would go as high a 74C under load. So my plan is just to watercool my 970 g1 and oc the hell out of it and just wait for the new gen cards to get released and hopefully i could afford it instead of trying to get 980ti this month. Sorry if my explanation isn't that rock solid i'm not really good at explaining especially in english so please bear with me thanks.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Seriously, do NOT invest into WC the 970. DO NOT. It's a very powerful card that can handle things just fine (unless you are trying to power a 4k screen).

Keep the cash in your pockets and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoO_IdaAgo

... for the newer cards. Sell your 970 when the time comes, to have that little extra boost needed to afford Pascal / Polaris.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Imakuni said:

Seriously, do NOT invest into WC the 970. DO NOT. It's a very powerful card that can handle things just fine (unless you are trying to power a 4k screen).

Keep the cash in your pockets and..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPoO_IdaAgo

... for the newer cards. Sell your 970 when the time comes, to have that little extra boost needed to afford Pascal / Polaris.

Well i'm not really investing that big i'd just like to get a good performance boost with the card. Cause i'm not really satisfied right now with the performance i'm getting or maybe i'm just a performance whore xD. Are there any official announcement or statements of the release of the cards? I heard and read that the new polaris/pascal would be release around summer. Summer is really near but after the official release i think it would take 2-3mos or even longer before it would arrive here in my country and the price would at least get 15-20% increase here.

Spoiler

PC: CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X @ Curve optimzer -25,  Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.Black, Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B500-F Gaming WiFi II, GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800XT @ Stock , RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3600Mhz CL18, HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB, SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | Team Group MP33 1TB NVME, Case: NZXT H7 Flow Black, PSU: NZXT C1200  I Peripherals: Keyboard: Ducky Shine 6 RGB Special Edition, Mouse: Razer Orochi V2, Headset: Philips SHP9500, Mousepad: Glorious Stealth Extended I Laptop: MSI GS63VR Stealth Pro CPU: i7-6700HQ@ 2.6ghz, GPU: GTX 1060, Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz, HDD: 1TB+128GB SSD

Don't water-cool the 970. Save your pennies and wait for the next iteration of cards to come out. Then you may be able to afford an entire extra tier when they do.

12 minutes ago, DND said:

Hey guys i have a gtx 970 g1 gaming well i was planning to upgrade to a gtx 980ti but it seems i can't really save enough money as fast as i can to get it by this month. So i'm planning to just watercool my gtx 970 g1 using the kraken g10 and maybe the kraken x31 or if you could recommend any aio liquid cooler it would be awesome if you would, and i'm planning to overclock it as high as i can cause right i can't seem to overclock it that much and i am getting really unstable results and the temps of my g1 gaming would go as high as 76-80C depending on the oc settings and even at stock clocks it would go as high a 74C under load. So my plan is just to watercool my 970 g1 and oc the hell out of it and just wait for the new gen cards to get released and hopefully i could afford it instead of trying to get 980ti this month. Sorry if my explanation isn't that rock solid i'm not really good at explaining especially in english so please bear with me thanks.

Are you looking for more performance in games or benchmarks? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Pohernori said:

Are you looking for more performance in games or benchmarks? 

Maybe in both? 

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

Maybe in both? 

So you want to top performance charts? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Just now, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I can reach my max oc on air, so no need to watercool my G1

My card won't even get stable at around 1298Mhz core clock even with core voltage near max :(.

So you want to top performance charts? 

Well not really i just want to boost the performance of my card so the fps on my games would improve more.

Spoiler

Just now, DND said:

Well not really i just want to boost the performance of my card so the fps on my games would improve more.

Have you tried sourcing for some custom bios?

8 minutes ago, DND said:

Well i'm not really investing that big i'd just like to get a good performance boost with the card. Cause i'm not really satisfied right now with the performance i'm getting or maybe i'm just a performance whore xD. Are there any official announcement or statements of the release of the cards? I heard and read that the new polaris/pascal would be release around summer. Summer is really near but after the official release i think it would take 2-3mos or even longer before it would arrive here in my country and the price would at least get 15-20% increase here.

While we don't have any official confirmation, we expect the cards to release just before Computex, in the end of May.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Have you tried sourcing for some custom bios?

Honestly i don't know that. I just read the term custom bios but didn't research or indulge myself on that.

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

While we don't have any official confirmation, we expect the cards to release just before Computex, in the end of May.

Oh i see hopefully by the time it would be release i would have enough or near enough money to get it.

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

I can reach my max oc on air, so no need to watercool my G1

Likewise; my Windforce 3X reaches 1520Mhz absolutely stable and 1550Mhz mostly stable. Both the G1 and the 3X have good enough coolers for temperature not to be the limiting factor when overclocking. 

1 minute ago, Matt100HP said:

Likewise; my Windforce 3X reaches 1520Mhz absolutely stable and 1550Mhz mostly stable. Both the G1 and the 3X have good enough coolers for temperature not to be the limiting factor when overclocking. 

Well in my case i couldn't even get 1298Mhz to be stable even with the core voltage almost maxed out.

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, DND said:

My card won't even get stable at around 1298Mhz core clock even with core voltage near max :(.

Is 1298Mhz what the card is actually boosting to under load? If so that's very surprising; Gigabyte claim to have binned the chips they use in their G1 branded cards, I believe they call it "the gauntlet". I'd expect at least 1500Mhz from a G1 card, with some better chips even managing 1600Mhz. 

3 minutes ago, DND said:

Well in my case i couldn't even get 1298Mhz to be stable even with the core voltage almost maxed out.

You should have RMAed it. Gigabyte advertises 1354mhz as the the boost clock; if you are not achieving even that, then your card is defective.

Just now, Matt100HP said:

Is 1298Mhz what the card is actually boosting to under load? If so that's very surprising; Gigabyte claim to have binned the chips they use in their G1 branded cards, I believe they call it "the gauntlet". I'd expect at least 1500Mhz from a G1 card, with some better chips even managing 1600Mhz. 

Oh no that's the normal clock, The boost clock is at 1449Mhz.

Spoiler

Just now, Imakuni said:

You should have RMAed it. Gigabyte advertises 1354mhz as the the boost clock; if you are not achieving even that, then your card is defective.

Oh no i just didn't know that people use the boost clock to refer to their clock i was just stating the normal clock XD.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DND said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Mine is at 1430 (or was it 1416?) and I feel happy about it.

2 minutes ago, DND said:

Oh, it's fine; you don't have a problem. It's still not a great overclocker, but that's the silicon lottery for you. You're exceeding what Gigabyte claim the card will manage, just not by a huge amount. 

1 minute ago, DND said:

Oh no i just didn't know that people use the boost clock to refer to their clock i was just stating the normal clock XD.

Yeah, people tend to quote the maximum clock speed their card actually runs at once GPU boost has done its thing. 

Just now, Imakuni said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTSA_sWGM44

Mine is at 1430 (or was it 1416?) and I feel happy about it.

Well i wasn't even looking for a super high overclock but i was a bit disappointed cause even at around 1420Mhz or higher it wouldn't even get stable and the temps were getting as high as 77C. So i thought if i watercooled the card i could go a little higher oc and the temps would at least sit around 65C-70C

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Matt100HP said:

Oh, it's fine; you don't have a problem. It's still not a great overclocker, but that's the silicon lottery for you. You're exceeding what Gigabyte claim the card will manage, just not by a huge amount. 

Yeah, people tend to quote the maximum clock speed their card actually runs at once GPU boost has done its thing. 

Well actually that clock speed that i said that was the unstable clock speed i think it would get stable around 1424Mhz without adjusting the Mem clock. Well yeah that's what i thought too i just got a bad overclocking card xD but the thing that i am worrying is the G1 is known to be cool maybe sits around 65-70C but mine goes way up 75C even without oc. So i though that the temps too is blocking me off to get a higher oc settings.

Spoiler

56 minutes ago, DND said:

Well actually that clock speed that i said that was the unstable clock speed i think it would get stable around 1424Mhz without adjusting the Mem clock. Well yeah that's what i thought too i just got a bad overclocking card xD but the thing that i am worrying is the G1 is known to be cool maybe sits around 65-70C but mine goes way up 75C even without oc. So i though that the temps too is blocking me off to get a higher oc settings.

H440 + high ambient temps will give you temps like these. A Hawaii/Grenade card will reach around 80*C in your condition. 

1 hour ago, DND said:

Honestly i don't know that. I just read the term custom bios but didn't research or indulge myself on that.

Go source for some. See if you can find anything that give you a little extra clocks.

H440 + high ambient temps will give you temps like these. A Hawaii/Grenade card will reach around 80*C in your condition. 

Go source for some. See if you can find anything that give you a little extra clocks.

Yeah i think that the it's because of the ambient temps too. It's pretty hot right now in the PH so that would be the case too. That's the reason to that i wanted to watercool my 970.

Okay i'll try to research on that.

Spoiler

I feel like temperature come second to actual OC capability of the card.