FX9370 or FX 8320

Just now, Starelementpoke said:

He´s saying since he doesn´t know anything about the board´s vrm quality, he doesn´t want to risk recommending it in the case that the quality is poor. Kinda like how we ask people their budget and goal for a computer list, you want to make an informed recommendation. Since @FruitBasketSilex doesn´t know anything about the VRM quality, and since the op seems like he´s going to oc the cpu, he doesn´t want to risk recommending the board until he gets more info. on the vrms.

Precisely. And since we now have info on the VRMs, none of this even matters anymore.

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

1 hour ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

Alright. I'll explain it this way:

If none of us, sans you, know of the VRM quality on a board (970 Aura), then none of us can recommend he use either an 8xxx or 9xxx chip on it.

For all any of us knew, the VRMs were bad, not that they necessarily are, but we would have to assume they are, until we can find proof of their quality.

Yeah that slightly makes more sense to me.

But that was not the context that i was reading it in at first sight.

Also if i had to recommend a cpu for that board, then i would recommend a FX83xx chip, not a FX9xxx series.

Simply because like i said a few posts back, the inductors used on this particular board are not the greatest that Asus has in stock.

And therefor i would not recommend a FX9xxx chip.

But in my opinnion, i dont realy see why anyone should even look at a FX9xxx series chip in general.

They just consume a rediculous amount of power, which means that you need a very decent and expensive motherboard + cooling solution to run them properly.

This together will in noway near weight up against the costs of it all together.

Op has his answer basicly.

He could upgrade to a FX8370 at best.

But i´m not realy sure if it all be worth it in the end.

The per core performance and ipc on the AMD chips isnt realy that great as wel all know, due limmitations of its architectual design.

Sure the extra module with 2 integer processing cores, will help a bit in some games that can utilize it.

Still a highly overclocked FX6300 @4.6Ghz or so, doesnt do that bad in some todays AAA games.

But yeah.

FX8 or 6 core cpu's are nice if you like to run a couple of vm´s simultanously.

Or if you look for a cheap gaming rig on a budget with a nice midrange gpu like GTX960 or R9-380 or what not.