Need help picking a monitor!

SamWasHere

Hey guys and gals,

I'm new to the forum, but have been a big fan of Linus' videos for some time. Anyhow, I'm looking into buying a new monitor. The one I currently own is an 8 year old dell monitor...so really, anything would be an upgrade. Budget is around $200 or less, including tax and shipping. It would be used for gaming (non competitive), studying, and work. A clear image, crisp colors, and "experience immersion" are key. I'm currently looking at these 2:

Samsung S24E370DL - Saw this in person and it looked great. Unfortunately the brightness was turned up quite a bit and the controls were inaccessible so I couldn't really play around with it. I'd likely never use the wireless charging...so that's more of a gimmick to me. 

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S24E370DL-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B018JYHI26/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457482067&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+s24e370dl

BenQ RL2455HM - Never owned a BenQ but have heard great things about this one. I was informed that these come stock at 60Hz and can be overclocked to 75Hz...the description simply says "75 Hz."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HSKSMI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I currently have the Samsung on order, but have a day or two to cancel before they charge my card and ship it. So, any thoughts?  

here we are

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V8F700/?tag=pcpapi-20

IPS, VESA mount, 60hz

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

here we are

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009V8F700/?tag=pcpapi-20

IPS, VESA mount, 60hz

That was quick! That monitor certainly fits the bill. How is the quality on AOCs monitors? I recall a friend complaining about either an AOC awhile back. He likely got a dud. 

4 minutes ago, SamWasHere said:

That was quick! That monitor certainly fits the bill. How is the quality on AOCs monitors? I recall a friend complaining about either an AOC awhile back. He likely got a dud. 

24 inch ips 

170 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X4090UO/ref=twister_B00PJSXBLI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

super small bezels

Thanks everyone! I'm looking at your suggestions now, and checking out the parts picker. So I take it the Samsung is a no-go? 

1 hour ago, SamWasHere said:

The reviews are pretty good on that panel.

All companies sometimes ship DOA monitors. It's the luck of the draw, but I haven't gotten a bad one yet.

Best of luck to you 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

I am not a monitor pro but overclocking a monitor is just pure luck from my experience. I managed to get my old 1080p IPS panel (a LG IPS235) to 74hz no problem but my still old but not as Dell S2440L only up to 67hz.

So whatever monitor you get hope it works good!

1 hour ago, shadowbyte said:

The reviews are pretty good on that panel.

All companies sometimes ship DOA monitors. It's the luck of the draw, but I haven't gotten a bad one yet.

Best of luck to you 

Very true. Well that particular monitor looks promising. Judging by the fact that no one recommended the Samsung, yet, it's probably in my best interest to cancel that order. 

36 minutes ago, InfectedHeart said:

I am not a monitor pro but overclocking a monitor is just pure luck from my experience. I managed to get my old 1080p IPS panel (a LG IPS235) to 74hz no problem but my still old but not as Dell S2440L only up to 67hz.

So whatever monitor you get hope it works good!

Tell me about it. I couldn't overclock the old dell monitor by more than 2 Hz...anything over 62 Hz and it gets finicky. Gave me a good laugh though. 

5 hours ago, SamWasHere said:

Very true. Well that particular monitor looks promising. Judging by the fact that no one recommended the Samsung, yet, it's probably in my best interest to cancel that order. 

Tell me about it. I couldn't overclock the old dell monitor by more than 2 Hz...anything over 62 Hz and it gets finicky. Gave me a good laugh though. 

It is all about luck man, I had problems when OC'd when SLI was enabled it messed up the look at it so I had to disconnect and reconnect. Another problem I encountered was when I had my refresh rate on my main panel at 74Hz and I got my dell monitor to 67Hz I caused my drivers to constantly crash and I had to mess around plugging in 2 monitors and had the third one in the 2nd GPU and reset it. Now everything is back to normal but that was a waste of 2 hours :P

others may have better experiences with different or same hardware.

As a note I am not the best with monitors since I don't have much experience with higher refresh rate monitors but I since I did manage to get my old ips panel to 74hz I did notice how nice it was to use but still 60hz is fine if your tight. I would suggest maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-25UM57-25-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00V8FAWC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457580244&sr=8-1&keywords=2560x1080 a neat 25" 2560x1080 monitor that shows at $199.99 (I am unsure about tax and shipping) but I did end up buying one for my fathers rig quite a few months ago.

15 hours ago, InfectedHeart said:

It is all about luck man, I had problems when OC'd when SLI was enabled it messed up the look at it so I had to disconnect and reconnect. Another problem I encountered was when I had my refresh rate on my main panel at 74Hz and I got my dell monitor to 67Hz I caused my drivers to constantly crash and I had to mess around plugging in 2 monitors and had the third one in the 2nd GPU and reset it. Now everything is back to normal but that was a waste of 2 hours :P

others may have better experiences with different or same hardware.

As a note I am not the best with monitors since I don't have much experience with higher refresh rate monitors but I since I did manage to get my old ips panel to 74hz I did notice how nice it was to use but still 60hz is fine if your tight. I would suggest maybe something like this http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronics-25UM57-25-Inch-LED-lit/dp/B00V8FAWC2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457580244&sr=8-1&keywords=2560x1080 a neat 25" 2560x1080 monitor that shows at $199.99 (I am unsure about tax and shipping) but I did end up buying one for my fathers rig quite a few months ago.

Haha, I see what you mean! I'm fine with 60 Hz. I had the chance to mess around with a 75 Hz and a 120 Hz monitor. I could see the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz, but not so much between 60 Hz and 75 Hz. 

In any case, I ended up going with one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-27-widescreen-flat-panel-ips-led-hd-monitor-piano-black-silver/6293177.p?id=1218726428129&skuId=6293177

The reviews are great on it, and a 27" IPS for $190 OTD? How can I could I say no! 

On 3/10/2016 at 10:46 AM, SamWasHere said:

Haha, I see what you mean! I'm fine with 60 Hz. I had the chance to mess around with a 75 Hz and a 120 Hz monitor. I could see the difference between 60 Hz and 120 Hz, but not so much between 60 Hz and 75 Hz. 

In any case, I ended up going with one of these:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-27-widescreen-flat-panel-ips-led-hd-monitor-piano-black-silver/6293177.p?id=1218726428129&skuId=6293177

The reviews are great on it, and a 27" IPS for $190 OTD? How can I could I say no! 

NICE! I hope it suits you well!

On 3/11/2016 at 1:18 PM, InfectedHeart said:

NICE! I hope it suits you well!

It did for all of 2 days. Turns out I got a lemon. I noticed two large dents in the frame. Didn't think much of it, until I realized that the power button wasn't functioning properly. Again, no big deal. However, with most electronics, if they come with issues, those issues are bound to worsen. Anyhow, I traded it for a GW2760HS! I have to wait 2 weeks for it to come in. It has a VA as opposed to an IPS panel, but I'm hoping image quality and color representation are at least similar to the AOC IPS. 

On a side note...it feels really strange going from a 27" back to a 16.5"...haha oh well, only 2 weeks to wait. 

On 3/12/2016 at 4:11 PM, SamWasHere said:

It did for all of 2 days. Turns out I got a lemon. I noticed two large dents in the frame. Didn't think much of it, until I realized that the power button wasn't functioning properly. Again, no big deal. However, with most electronics, if they come with issues, those issues are bound to worsen. Anyhow, I traded it for a GW2760HS! I have to wait 2 weeks for it to come in. It has a VA as opposed to an IPS panel, but I'm hoping image quality and color representation are at least similar to the AOC IPS. 

On a side note...it feels really strange going from a 27" back to a 16.5"...haha oh well, only 2 weeks to wait. 

Heheheh good luck in the mean time then.