How to mod "keyless start" on pc

Bajantechnician

So my pm now has a 760t.

How do i mod the 760t on/off button into a "keyless entry" like on cars, where it senses a key or phone nearby, and just uses a button without a key

think i confuse people

in short, phone or" key" connects to pc. This unlocks pc,

OR, i use wireless phone or key to wirelessly turn on pc. Will be doing a pc case mod into a camaro.

@W-L

Thanks

One method would be to use the magic packet feature on your UEFI/BIOS. It basically waits for a signal from the LAN connection that tells the PC to power on. This would require a bit of coding if you want a personalized app that sends the magic packet to your PC's designated IP (locally) when your phone connects to the wi-fi network associated with your router.

Another method would be to integrate some sort of NFC reader into the PC that just waits for a known NFC signal and then powers on the PC.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

2 hours ago, revsilverspine said:

One method would be to use the magic packet feature on your UEFI/BIOS. It basically waits for a signal from the LAN connection that tells the PC to power on. This would require a bit of coding if you want a personalized app that sends the magic packet to your PC's designated IP (locally) when your phone connects to the wi-fi network associated with your router.

Another method would be to integrate some sort of NFC reader into the PC that just waits for a known NFC signal and then powers on the PC.

That will work as well.

i do not know coding, so i guess, some short range bluetooth or nfc reader + a physical button i press when the pc senses it is near?

8 hours ago, Bajantechnician said:

So my pm now has a 760t.

How do i mod the 760t on/off button into a "keyless entry" like on cars, where it senses a key or phone nearby, and just uses a button without a key

think i confuse people

in short, phone or" key" connects to pc. This unlocks pc,

OR, i use wireless phone or key to wirelessly turn on pc. Will be doing a pc case mod into a camaro.

@W-L

Thanks

For something like in cars it they use sense sore to detect the key nearby, some use different types of signals either RFID or Bluetooth potentially. You might be able to easily do a push button start with a magnetic switch on your keychain a or something where you place down on the top of the case allowing it to be switched on. 

1 hour ago, W-L said:

For something like in cars it they use sense sore to detect the key nearby, some use different types of signals either RFID or Bluetooth potentially. You might be able to easily do a push button start with a magnetic switch on your keychain a or something where you place down on the top of the case allowing it to be switched on. 

I don't want something to be like physically too close. So basicly, I don't want the receiver end to have a too long of a range. I don't want it to be able to detect it from 20 feet away, but I don't want to have the range so short, the key has to be 1/2 inches from it.

5 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

I don't want something to be like physically too close. So basicly, I don't want the receiver end to have a too long of a range. I don't want it to be able to detect it from 20 feet away, but I don't want to have the range so short, the key has to be 1/2 inches from it.

A hidden magnetic switch or RFID switch may be your best option then since it will require it to be close to activate before allowing the power button to be pressed and complete a circuit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-theft-protection-for-electronic-equipm/

13 minutes ago, W-L said:

A hidden magnetic switch or RFID switch may be your best option then since it will require it to be close to activate before allowing the power button to be pressed and complete a circuit.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Universal-theft-protection-for-electronic-equipm/

This will allow the key to not need to touch the case, but will still accept the signal right? 

Also, what if I accidently take the key out of range while the pc is still on? How should I fix that?

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

This will allow the key to not need to touch the case, but will still accept the signal right? 

Also, what if I accidently take the key out of range while the pc is still on? How should I fix that?

Well it will require it to be over the sensor or magnetic switch to activate it but, I was thinking of having it inline to the power switch itself where you would need to put the key near it and then press the power button. Afterwards removing the key and putting it somewhere else is not a problem with the system turning off or anything like that. 

25 minutes ago, W-L said:

Well it will require it to be over the sensor or magnetic switch to activate it but, I was thinking of having it inline to the power switch itself where you would need to put the key near it and then press the power button. Afterwards removing the key and putting it somewhere else is not a problem with the system turning off or anything like that. 

Should I use Bluetooth, frid or nfc

9 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Should I use Bluetooth, frid or nfc

it may be simpler to use RFID of NFC tags than bluetooth, and give a more close range type option to where you need to touch off the key where I'm sure there is an option to adjust the activation range for bluetooth but it may not be as turn key or easy to implement. 

15 minutes ago, W-L said:

it may be simpler to use RFID of NFC tags than bluetooth, and give a more close range type option to where you need to touch off the key where I'm sure there is an option to adjust the activation range for bluetooth but it may not be as turn key or easy to implement. 

I see.

but i wouldnt have to physically touch the key to the case right?

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

I see.

but i wouldnt have to physically touch the key to the case right?

Well if would work like NFC on phones or RFID key cards where you tap it basically, it just depends on the range of the unit and where it's installed on the case. If your wanting a total keyless system like for cars they are more specific to a certain range, looking into getting something like a keyless kit for cars might be something to build on. 

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Well if would work like NFC on phones or RFID key cards where you tap it basically, it just depends on the range of the unit and where it's installed on the case. If your wanting a total keyless system like for cars they are more specific to a certain range, looking into getting something like a keyless kit for cars might be something to build on. 

Do you know how much it costs?

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

Do you know how much it costs?

The NFC or RFID stuff shouldn't be too much maybe <$50 for everything or a kit to setup, but I wouldn't be to sure for a car type system since those can vary quite a bit.

4 minutes ago, W-L said:

The NFC or RFID stuff shouldn't be too much maybe <$50 for everything or a kit to setup, but I wouldn't be to sure for a car type system since those can vary quite a bit.

im looking, some are quite expensive actually, <$100

10 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

im looking, some are quite expensive actually, <$100

Something like this would be simple and perfect to activate a relay to allow the power switch to work but I can't seem to find a unit similar to that:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1680627-Keyless-Ignition

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

-SNIP-

Oh ok yeah we're going at it with different approaches xD 

I'm just considering the most basic way of using an RFID key to close a relay to make an electrical connection to the power switch and have it open once the key is removed from the area. That would be the simplest way I see it done as long as one of this units like in that thread is available, as I'm probably not using the correct name for that device and can't find it.

Just now, W-L said:

Oh ok yeah we're going at it with different approaches xD 

I'm just considering the most basic way of using an RFID key to close a relay to make an electrical connection to the power switch and have it open once the key is removed from the area. That would be the simplest way I see it done as long as one of this units like in that thread is available, as I'm probably not using the correct name for that device and can't find it.

lol

no wonder the confusion :)

what i am thinking so far , is so mount the switch, and ill keep the key on me. Once i turn on the pc, the key will not be needed, until i press the off botton. I want to wire it, so pressing it shortly will turn on the pc, and with the same time frame, pressing it will turn it off. I sill need to figgure out a way where pressing the pc off button for lets say 1 sec, will turn the pc off, siminar to cars. on= press, off=same press length amount. when they want to turn off the car, they dont have to hold the button down, they just clock it

7 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

lol

no wonder the confusion :)

what i am thinking so far , is so mount the switch, and ill keep the key on me. Once i turn on the pc, the key will not be needed, until i press the off botton. I want to wire it, so pressing it shortly will turn on the pc, and with the same time frame, pressing it will turn it off. I sill need to figgure out a way where pressing the pc off button for lets say 1 sec, will turn the pc off, siminar to cars. on= press, off=same press length amount. when they want to turn off the car, they dont have to hold the button down, they just clock it

For something like that you might want a programmable controller and modules like for an ardunio to do all of that.

The idea I had was only for turning on the machine but requires regular shutdown via the OS or putting the key back near the RFID sensor to push the power button to turn off. 

6 minutes ago, W-L said:

For something like that you might want a programmable controller and modules like for an ardunio to do all of that.

The idea I had was only for turning on the machine but requires regular shutdown via the OS or putting the key back near the RFID sensor to push the power button to turn off. 

Do you know what the signal range for a retail key fob and system is?

3 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

Do you know what the signal range for a retail key fob and system is?

Usually not much maybe a few inches at most to the receiver, usually they encourage to tap here or place the card on the sensor to activate from what I've seen. 

16 minutes ago, W-L said:

Usually not much maybe a few inches at most to the receiver, usually they encourage to tap here or place the card on the sensor to activate from what I've seen. 

I see. 

So it is feasible right

4 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

I see. 

So it is feasible right

Yes it's doable with some tinkering, for powering the unit though to keep it checking for an RFID signal or key, you will need to most likely tap into the 5V power line or USB for the receiver. Sounds like an interesting project and could be good for security in like an office environment.