Kingston HyperX 120GB SSD Slow Write

Mr.Dingle

Hey there LTT Forums . 

Just something that has me worried , and its a recent find : http://imgur.com/ZU69ys7 , and this : http://imgur.com/69TmdYZ

First is a screenshot from Crystal Disk Mark , running all the tests . Read is around advertised 555MB/s , but write is way off from the advertised 510MB/s . Ofc , advertised is different ... but to have writes this low ? 

Second is another screenshot , which i did as a test , transferring data from the HDD to SSD , and it peaked at around 32MB/s . Whats more worrying is , my HDD is faster than the SSD in every write category except maybe latency tests . It peaked at around 150MB/s versus the SSDs 30ish . 

Im really confused about this , since i havent touched any BIOS settings ( except CPU clock and voltages , to fix BSODing i had earlier ) . People said i need to disable write-caching in windows , but it doesnt allow that . 

Any ideas ? ( p.s - SSD is primary , HDD is secondary , page files are on the HDD , never defragmented the SSD , checked it with kingston program thingy , reported everything is OK )

The Subwoofer 

Ryzen 7 1700  /// Noctua NH-L9X65 /// Noctua NF-P14s Redux 1200PWM

ASRock Fatal1ty X370 Gaming-ITX/ac /// 16GB DDR4 G.Skill TridentZ 3066Mhz

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Samsung 960EVO 250GB + WD Blue 2TB

well if your SSD can only write 30MBps then of course your HDD will be bottlenecked when transferring to the SSD

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280654-32-write-speed-slower

and yeah kingston SSDs suck

dont buy them

its just your SSD that doesnt handle incompressible data very well

make sure AHCI is enabled for this drive in the UEFI,but other than that there isnt much you can do other than buy a better SSD

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

18 minutes ago, Enderman said:

well if your SSD can only write 30MBps then of course your HDD will be bottlenecked when transferring to the SSD

except he posted a speed test with Crystal Disk Mark that does the read/writes from RAM

@ColonelThunder you should do a secure erase on that SSD, the problem is you put the OS on it -_-

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

except he posted a speed test with Crystal Disk Mark that does the read/writes from RAM

did you not understand what i said??

i know his SSD is slow

i know his HDD is faster

thats when when you transfer from the HDD to the SSD the HDD is being bottlenecked by the SSD

and the crystaldiskmark benchmark just proves my point

did you misread or something?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

39 minutes ago, Enderman said:

did you not understand what i said??

yes, I did

in sequential transfers HDDs are faster than 30MB/s

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

yes, I did

in sequential transfers HDDs are faster than 30MB/s

I know that...

That's why I'm saying that the reason the transfer from the HDD to the SSD is 30MBps is due to the SSD being slow and bottlenecking the speed...

If you had understood what I said you wouldnt have replied in the first place

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Enderman said:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/280654-32-write-speed-slower

and yeah kingston SSDs suck

dont buy them

its just your SSD that doesnt handle incompressible data very well

make sure AHCI is enabled for this drive in the UEFI,but other than that there isnt much you can do other than buy a better SSD

Is there some "proof" of some sort for these SSDs being bad ? Enyone i asked , computer shops or forums thought that it was a good buy . And yes AHCI is enabled . 

And to clarify the HDD is faster thing : I did crystal disk mark on the HDD too , and there it reached 150MB/s on write . In the same test the SSD scored the results u see in the screenshot . The transfer test was to see that maybe the program is bugged , or something other is in play. 

8 hours ago, zMeul said:

@ColonelThunder you should do a secure erase on that SSD, the problem is you put the OS on it -_-

As far as i know , you install the OS on the SSD , and big games / media on the HDD ( secondary ) , to avoid filling up the SSD .. I have 78GB free , and how could installing the OS on it cause these issues ?

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

I redid the tests , to see if anything has changed : http://imgur.com/a/1oAsC 

SSD result on top , HDD is the bottom one . 

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

2 minutes ago, ColonelThunder said:

Is there some "proof" of some sort for these SSDs being bad ? Enyone i asked , computer shops or forums thought that it was a good buy . And yes AHCI is enabled . 

And to clarify the HDD is faster thing : I did crystal disk mark on the HDD too , and there it reached 150MB/s on write . In the same test the SSD scored the results u see in the screenshot . The transfer test was to see that maybe the program is bugged , or something other is in play. 

As far as i know , you install the OS on the SSD , and big games / media on the HDD ( secondary ) , to avoid filling up the SSD .. I have 78GB free , and how could installing the OS on it cause these issues ?

Yeah kingston SSDs are notorious for fast degradation and bad incompressible performance

you can just look up on google how many people have the same slow speed issues

but 30MBps is too slow, you should get at least 150 with that SSD even though its not great

The last thing I can think of is trying a secure erase

This will remove everything from the SSD so youre gonna need to install windows on some other drive before you do this

not exactly sure of the process, but search up "how to secure erase" and you should have a bunch of tutorials on how to do it step by step

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ColonelThunder said:

yeah .. that's the problem, everyone does this - consumer grade SSD are shit

most consumer grade SSD are based on TLC NAND and this type of memory is notorious for cell voltage drift - meaning that cells that weren't re-written over a larger period of time will suffer performance degradation

and god knows what else .. because no one! I repeat, no one has done an extensive test on general use of this shit

and how to induce cell voltage drift, put Windows on it - Window only reuses a small portion of it's own files; many files will get a refresh when a cumulative update is installed or in case of a Service Pack

after the Samsung 840 PRO and EVO fiasco, I can't believe HW manufacturers still put TLC NAND based SSD on the market; at least Samsung replaced their lineup with 3D V-NAND

So pretty much , fresh windows install ? 

Tho the advertised speeds are in PCMark Test suite.. il try that later today , and see if anything changes. 

Could any BIOS settings be causing this ? Also both the hdd and ssd are in the 6gbit slots.

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Update , just came home , ran the test again ... http://imgur.com/NjvnLL6 

Didnt touch anything overnight ... what the ... now im really confused xD

Also , the ATTO Benchmark that Kingston claims they got the 555 / 510 : http://imgur.com/amk1Or6

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Well , an update on whats happening :

Today the drive was extremely slow ,  but now also on the read side of things..

Was playing CSGO then the game started stuttering , then  bam , BSOD . Some critical windows error ...

Boot into bios .. P1 where the SSD should be is N/A . Yep , dead after rougbly 8months from buying and installing it .

Going to send the ssd back tomorrow , warranty still covers it. 

I will ask for money return , any SSDs you guys reccomend ?

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W 

Just now, ColonelThunder said:

Well , an update on whats happening :

Today the drive was extremely slow ,  but now also on the read side of things..

Was playing CSGO then the game started stuttering , then  bam , BSOD . Some critical windows error ...

Boot into bios .. P1 where the SSD should be is N/A . Yep , dead after roughly 8months from buying and installing it .

Going to send the ssd back tomorrow , warranty still covers it. 

I will ask for money return , any SSDs you guys reccomend ?

The Subwoofer 

Zotac GTX1080 Mini 

EVGA Supernova G3 650W