WD EXO (COMPLETE) [Scratch Build]

2 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

I live in Australia and I bought mine from ebay, a 440x600x3mm sheet for $21 free postage that I am very happy with

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/acrylicsonlinenprinting?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Not bad. If only I knew how to cut aluminum. I have an idea for a build I plan to do in June when the new X99 chips come out. Aluminum cutout overlayed over red UV acrylic... or that's the idea I'm batting around. Really dig the build, that design is a work of art. Very minimalistic with clean lines and a small form factor. Very cool, I'm jealous about the renderings you did before you even began, what program did you use to do that if you don't mind my asking?

@DunePilot

Thanks for the interest. I myself was never that good with working with any hand tools but if you get a few good tools and take time its pretty easy. As for the renderings I use Blender, it's free and I've learned from trail and error and a few YouTube videos.

Previous Build

"WD EXO" Link Here     "WD Bonk" Link Here

25 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

@DunePilot

Thanks for the interest. I myself was never that good with working with any hand tools but if you get a few good tools and take time its pretty easy. As for the renderings I use Blender, it's free and I've learned from trail and error and a few YouTube videos.

I'm actually pretty crafty with my hands but I just don't have a shop right now... having a nice work table a vice and a drill press among other things would mean a world of difference. There would be a lot of trial and error involved as well though. I'll check Blender out, thanks.

Aluminium might as well be gold to me, I love the stuff and I cant get enough. This is a disassembled view of all the case excluding acrylic and screws, really not much when torn down.

nKes4KG.jpg?1

Previous Build

On 9.3.2016 at 1:18 PM, Willy Dijo said:

-

May i ask how you did those designs (program)? SketchUp?

Edit: NVM, you use blender. Should learn to read...

Fanboys, on both sides, are quite embarrassing. How can one be a "fan" of a company? A companies only goal is to make a profit off you. Instead of being a smart consumer and base your purchase decision on the best price / performance you choose to dick yourself over by only considering brand X. Idiotic loss to be honest.

~Quibiss

I know what I'll be doing on my next 4 days off... I'm sure the learning curve is probably pretty steep but I need to work out some loop ideas.

Looking at some of these models on grabcad, ....thats just amazing.

https://grabcad.com/library/water-cooled-pc-motherboard-assembly-1

Part way through spray painting, primed and first coated the black pieces today. I haven't got a adequate painting area so I held each part as I sprayed and dried on the clothes line, to my surprise it has turned out well so far.

eVuqQfy.jpg?2

Wet sanded and rinsed off any dust, then hung to dry. It was perfect conditions for painting today.

4DdMeh4.jpg?1

Close up at one corner brace, pictured after first coat, more coats to do.

TbpU5mf.jpg

Make shift rack from a couple of clamps, works well.

Previous Build

XEae7wL.jpg?1

All the black components looking great.

p7zfbLy.jpg

This is the aerosol sprayer I used for the orange because its a custom mixed colour.

9bF74oA.jpg?1

Colour accented the coolers bar.

zyhfuz0.jpg

My ghetto paint booth, will definitely make a sealed spray booth like linus's when I move house, although this didn't turn out as bad as I expected.

kIIgEgX.jpg?1

all the components laid out.

L6bd3uY.jpg?2

Assembled in halves then bridged with the connecting pieces.

SWNRArx.jpg?1

It got pretty dark by the time I could take a photo, will upload a brighter one tomorrow morning.

While I was assembling I couldn't get a Cat Excavator out of my head, The name "EXO" was short for Exoskeleton But it could also now read EXcavatOr :P

All that's left really is cable sleeving and to assemble.

Previous Build

12 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

This is the aerosol sprayer I used for the orange because its a custom mixed colour.

How did the orange aerosol paint turn out? I was thinking about having some mixed up like that, did you have to sand it any to get it to stick, how many coats and how many minutes between coats? Maybe I'm reading too much into it.... used to seeing those folks doing motorcycle helmets end up laying down half a dozen coats of clear over a couple base coats with sanding in between.... makes my head numb. I need to try my hand at it eventually though. 

@DunePilot

The orange paint orange peeled something fierce, but the pre made black did not, I left the orange the way it was because I was ok with it but there are ways of getting rid of it. 

My process was 140g rough sand for file marks and scribe marks, 400g wet sanded then rinsed and dried, one coat of metal primer, and three coats of black/orange, and no clear coat.

But I'm not really the best to ask as this was my first serious spray paint and was going off what I've been told over time.

Previous Build

13 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

@DunePilot

The orange paint orange peeled something fierce, but the pre made black did not, I left the orange the way it was because I was ok with it but there are ways of getting rid of it. 

My process was 140g rough sand for file marks and scribe marks, 400g wet sanded then rinsed and dried, one coat of metal primer, and three coats of black/orange, and no clear coat.

But I'm not really the best to ask as this was my first serious spray paint and was going off what I've been told over time.

Thanks for the answer....  that is one of the things I'm trying to figure out for my build I'll be doing in a few months. I think one of the best places to go ask are probably the motorcycle forums... I know that might sound odd but all you have to do is see some tank and helmet jobs and you'll know why. 

Are you going to make a i/o / motherboard plate by yourself or are you going to buy one (from mountain mods and alike)

1 hour ago, Infin8 said:

Are you going to make a i/o / motherboard plate by yourself or are you going to buy one (from mountain mods and alike)

I'm actually not going to use an IO shield.

Previous Build

3 hours ago, Willy Dijo said:

I'm actually not going to use an IO shield.

Oh, bummer. but what about the motherboard tray?

@Infin8

The motherboard is mounted via nylon stand-offs to the vertical black bars, there's a close up of the mounts and the system mocked up earlier in the log.

Previous Build

6 minutes ago, Infin8 said:

Oh, bummer. but what about the motherboard tray?

The way he is has his motherboard positioned (rotated with the I/O at the top of the chassis) there's no need for an I/O shield. Motherboard tray is integrated into the chassis design with standoffs on those 2 flat bars on the one side.

@Willy Dijo correct me if I'm wrong... 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

3 minutes ago, Willy Dijo said:

@Infin8

The motherboard is mounted via nylon stand-offs to the vertical black bars, there's a close up of the mounts and the system mocked up earlier in the log.

Ninja'd. :ph34r: 

;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Migrated case from the 900D into this, new PSU will arrive soon and custom cable sleeving will arrive after.

aKTGZjA.jpg?1

aUlfSZj.jpg

cUKXVy5.jpg?1

Instagram @WillyDijo for regular updates.

Previous Build

Holy crap! I can't believe I just found this build after it being out for a month. It looks absolutely beautiful! I enjoy custom-made cases, and especially of this category. Beautiful work!

THE EYRIE (Budget Build):

CPU: AMD FX-6350     GPU: AMD Radeon R9 280 Dual-X MOBO: Gigabyte GA-78MLT-USB3

RAM: 4 x 4GB Corsair (16GB Total) HDD: 2 x 500GB WDC 6MB/s SSD: None yet

PSU: Corsair 650X CASE: ULTRA Defender

Cable sleeving kit arrived, although there was an issue with the store I bought the PSU from so that has been delayed until next week.

VJfIlhi.jpg?1

I have also been designing and rendering my next project, A new ITX LAN/ media PC that uses a lot of existing spare components.

WEwmkrf.jpg?1

More images on this case at http://imgur.com/a/3zNqD

All that's left to do on the EXO build is cable sleeving.

Previous Build

PSU arrived this morning rather than Monday so I got to cable sleeving.

ygHfgPr.jpg?1

After making pin-out diagrams of the cables that I'm using, I found that there are capacitors that were under the stock heat-shrink. I was not expecting that so I have to hide them in the final build.

3dn50DM.jpg?1

The PSU is held in by friction between the black motherboard mounting bars and the orange frame and double sided tape.

mg1vYNw.jpg?2

DQL8v8k.jpg?2

8 hours later I now have one 8 Pin EPS cable sleeved, sleeving is incredibly time consuming.

U1gDnsl.jpg?2

Previous Build