Are smartphones becoming too similar to one another?

Fgtfv567

Are phones becoming too similar?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Are phones becoming too similar?

• Wake me up when my phone shoots lasers (Yes)
    • These here-fangled screens I can touch are so much more different than my flip phone! (No)

So I've found this PCmag article which you can read here: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2496664,00.asp

And it describes how a lot of phones these days are really similar to one another. Hell I think Linus mentioned in one of his videos, one of them about a 4K phone that downsamples to 1080p, think it was an Xperia phone...

I think I'd have to agree. I briefly thought about a modular phone like a Fairphone 2 or Project Ara and compared it to the S7. If the specs are the same, what else is really different besides the outwards design?

Anyway, do you think smartphones are becoming more similar to one another? What new features do you want to see out of MWC 2017? I'd like to see more modularity and water resistance

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Only if you're looking at the shitty ones.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Convergent Evolution (of technology, it can be seen in consoles as well, trending towards PCs)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

lg-g5-first-look-aa-20-792x446.jpg

You were saying?

samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-29.jpg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

lg-g5-first-look-aa-20-792x446.jpg

You were saying?

Besides the modular ones! I like them....

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Smartphones are more a story of brand loyalty than the device itself imho. Sure, some of them have some slightly different specs, but across the board, 90% of them are the same. I've been noticing this since ~2012-13. The only phones that really seem significantly different to me are that of the Nexus lineup (simply because it's different manufacturers actually producing the phone). The OnePlus lineup looks so similar to the Sony Xperia line, Samsung's S7 looks so much like the iPhone 6/6s, Motorola reminds me of LG and HTC in many ways, etc. Nexus, again, seems to have the biggest variety simply due to the fact that they are made by a different manufacturer every year. Just my observations/thoughts though.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I agree I think they all are pretty much the same now with some slight tweaks every new phone such as maybe a faster processor better camera etc.   Last phone that really stood out to me was when Samsung did there first Note since that was different and it was a huge success and now there is a lot of phablets.

Since the days of the HTC One M7, I believe the evolution of smartphones have began to plateau.

For example, my sister's Nexus 5 was a flagship killer back when it was released at the end of 2013 and can still hold its own against today's flagships in terms of raw performance and not gimmicky "features" like heart rate monitors and fingerprint scanners.

However, smartphones with similar specs to the Nexus 5 like the Asus Zenfone, and many of chinese offerings from huawei and Xiaomi can be had for as cheap as the $200 range unlocked. So the tech has become cheaper.

As for the aesthetics of phones, I think what Fractal Josh says about designing computer cases can be applied here when he says that there are only so many things you can to to design a box that houses PC components. There are only so many things you can do to design a rectangle that has a touch screen on it.

To build and Android flagship for the past few years, you basically take the latest SOC from Qualcom; (820, 810,805,801, 800) choose a screen size, slap on sony's 13MP camera sensor on the back, put the lock and volume buttons in a different position from the other companies, screw up the stock android experience with slow and clunkly UI and add some bloatware, make the battery marginally bigger and then sell ot for $700+

I think the smartphone industry needs another iphone (like the original), something revolutionary rather than evolutionary like we've been seeing for the past few years. Not sure if it's going to be modular phones like the new LG G5, or a throw back like what Blackberry are trying to do, or even what the Windows phones are trying to do with merging the smartphone experience with the desktop.

tl;dr

the smartphones industry is getting stale