ASUS Anti-Surge Issue - Corsair AX860

MrWhitby

Evening fellas,

So a real odd one here, I'm currently running a ASUS VII Ranger Mobo on a 4790k @ Stock a 780ti and 16GB FuryX RAM off of a Corsair AX860w PSU.

Now I have in the past had issue with Kitchen appliances downstairs such as my toaster tripping my power upstairs and turning my PC off without error. So simple fix, flick the switch back and Veulla. 

Now last night same happened again. Toaster goes on, and Power is out upstairs of my house. So again as before I would flick the switch and power comes back on, I then get home from work today and am having the annoying "ASUS has detected a Power surge from an unstable PSU" Crap.

My PC is running on a Surge Protected Belkin 8-Gang extension lead UK. I have followed the steps by others to disable the ASUS Anti-Surge Protection as ASUS themselves have said to do as it causes no harm just a Failsafe. 

I have gone ahead and disconnected all kitchen appliances downstairs and the issue continues with ASP on, I have just now switched it off and am essentially waiting for my PC to shut down. 

My method of seeing if it is my House's power or my PC is that I have a LED Strip plugged into the same Surge protected extension lead and I'm going to see if that turns off with it, If it does GREAT! Atleast I only need to replace a Extension lead and not a PSU or Mobo, if not then darn I'm here for help. 

I have run both Furmark, Prime95, 3DMark to get the max power draw out of my PC and no issues, no shut down, no nothing. 

Sudden shut-downs happen both randomly and under load, so I'm going with randomly on that end of the spectrum. 

Only things changed since yesterday, I recieved a pair of Astro A40's with Mixamp that're plugged into the rear IO USB 3.0. Which replaced my USB 3.0 HUB

Full Specs -
Intel i7 4790k @ 4GHz Stock
ASUS VII Ranger 
EVGA 780ti No OC 
16GB FuryX DDR3 RAM
Corsair AX860 PSU.

HWMonitor of Voltages - e860f92861.png

I have got a PSU Tester and this was my outcome, Not so great with deciphering it. - http://imgur.com/k4d5bvQ

Right now I have a EVGA Supernova 850w P2 and a UPS In my Amazon basket. Waiting to pull the plug. Unless someone here know's of better options, I've tried turning of Anti Surge in the BIO and instead of a shut down a couple of hours into Idling, My PC just came to a weird freeze where the mouse would work yet the rest of the machine was rendered useless.

Thanks for your time and any responses. I'm just hoping this is a issue with my surge protector and not my PC.

5 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

-SNIP-

First thing I would suggest is to get an electrician to remedy your situation with the power going out with using multiple appliances, your circuits are most likely overloaded which is causing the power issue and tripping the breakers or fuse.

As for the Antisurge unless you have very unstable power in your area it shouldn't be an issue, a UPS that has an active AVR can help if that is the case and the power is just not super clean. 

9 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

have you tried reformatting?
windows really hates getting shut down suddenly, it might be corrupted

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, W-L said:

First thing I would suggest is to get an electrician to remedy your situation with the power going out with using multiple appliances, your circuits are most likely overloaded which is causing the power issue and tripping the breakers or fuse.

As for the Antisurge unless you have very unstable power in your area it shouldn't be an issue, a UPS that has an active AVR can help if that is the case and the power is just not super clean. 

Thing is, I have other appliance on my 4-Gang and they stay on. Along with everything else upstairs.

5 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

Thing is, I have other appliance on my 4-Gang and they stay on. Along with everything else upstairs.

So it's only the PC that detects the anti-surge and sometimes will randomly shutdown? If that's the case the PSU could be trying to protect itself thinking it's receiving bad power. Would your PC happen to be in the kitchen or on the same circuit as it, if you have another wall plug that is on a different circuit that can help immensely cause running things like blenders or toaster use a lot of current and can drop the incoming voltage not to mention electrical noise from motors in kitchen appliances.

As for that UPS unit it's not bad, however you don't necessarily need a UPS larger than the wattage of the PSU only larger than the load it will receive. 

Id Say Don't Use An Extension Lead The Surge Protector Messes With The Psu's Surge Protector

If You Continue Surge Could 100% Break Your System Thats What Ive Seen Anyway.

I'm A Cactus !

1 minute ago, W-L said:

So it's only the PC that detects the anti-surge and sometimes will randomly shutdown? If that's the case the PSU could be trying to protect itself thinking it's receiving bad power. Would your PC happen to be in the kitchen or on the same circuit as it, if you have another wall plug that is on a different circuit that can help immensely cause running things like blenders or toaster use a lot of current and can drop the incoming voltage not to mention electrical noise from motors in kitchen appliances.

As for that UPS unit it's not bad, however you don't necessarily need a UPS larger than the wattage of the PSU only larger than the load it will receive. 

I am upstairs from my Kitchen however, As in the OP, The issue happened quite a while ago where the Toaster would trip my power upstairs until I switched the breaker, that stopped but started again 2 nights ago, ever since I've had this problem, and I'm not sure if that power outage damage either my mobo or my PSU in the process. I will try another plug, Problem is that this is completely random and hard to diagnose, It doesn't necessarily happen under load, Last time I was just watching a YT video.   

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

2 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

I am upstairs from my Kitchen however, As in the OP, The issue happened quite a while ago where the Toaster would trip my power upstairs until I switched the breaker, that stopped but started again 2 nights ago, ever since I've had this problem, and I'm not sure if that power outage damage either my mobo or my PSU in the process. I will try another plug, Problem is that this is completely random and hard to diagnose, It doesn't necessarily happen under load, Last time I was just watching a YT video.   

I'd try moving it to a different circuit to see if the issue persists if it does it could be something from the original power loss that is made it overly sensitive which isn't unheard of. While you can just disable it that function is mainly to ensure there is no issue with the PSU. A simple test would be to probe the PSU leads to see if your getting the correct 12.00V and such from the unit under a reasonable load.  

Just a quick note for stress testing on haswell don't use P95 unless your going for the older version they tend to overdo it on the load and give unrealistic results.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

I'd try moving it to a different circuit to see if the issue persists if it does it could be something from the original power loss that is made it overly sensitive which isn't unheard of. While you can just disable it that function is mainly to ensure there is no issue with the PSU. A simple test would be to probe the PSU leads to see if your getting the correct 12.00V and such from the unit under a reasonable load.  

Just a quick note for stress testing on haswell don't use P95 unless your going for the older version they tend to overdo it on the load and give unrealistic results.

But what I don't understand is that my PC has been running great on its current circuit, I have replaced the fuse in my Surge protector along with changing Surge protectors and still no ball.

35 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

But what I don't understand is that my PC has been running great on its current circuit, I have replaced the fuse in my Surge protector along with changing Surge protectors and still no ball.

Oh ok if it's going good without issue for a few days now it could potentially have been a once in a while thing, I'd try switching over to another circuit to see if it continues if it does then it may be something else.

So I went ahead and purchased that UPS, it fixes my issue or not, I guess it won't hurt at all. I've also purchased the EVGA SuperNova 850w P2, To see if the UPS fixes my issue then I will send the new PSU back, if the UPS doesn't fix it or the PSU, then will be looking towards a MOBO switch.

How old is the house? Turning on the toaster is causing enough of a power drop that is causing the PSU to turn off (like turning on a vacuum and the lights dim momentarily) . A UPS will fix that if the UPS is fast enough to switch power.

A UPS is a preventative measure, not a cure.

If the damage has already been caused then a UPS won't fix it. However a UPS can't hurt, I've had all my systems (4) on UPS's and they have saved me headaches for years. It's one of the best things you can buy.

It's not a race to the bottom.

7 hours ago, 0x1e said:

A UPS is a preventative measure, not a cure.

If the damage has already been caused then a UPS won't fix it. However a UPS can't hurt, I've had all my systems (4) on UPS's and they have saved me headaches for years. It's one of the best things you can buy.

So I woke up this morning to turn my PC on and poof, Turns on for 2 seconds and shuts down, I cleared CMOS and restarted managed to get to the screen where Asus tell me there was a surge, and got into the BIOs I then attempted to get into Windows and got to log in screen and again shut down, and the PC wouldn't turn on till the CMOS is cleared to let me boot for a few seconds, So at this point, I've shut down the whole PC and am waiting the new PSU to turn up today and the UPS tomorrow, If that doesn't solve it, I think I'm looking at a Mobo switch, Unfortunately I think the damage has already been done by my house's wiring. 

New PSU turned up and installed. Things look a little more stable. But only time will tell I guess,

New HWInfo

15faf64977.png

I've noticed the 12V Rail has been fluctuating as much as before. It's solid at 12.096, where as before it would jump between quite a bit

6 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

-SNIP-

Just out of curiosity did you happen to know the range of fluctuation of the old unit?

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Just out of curiosity did you happen to know the range of fluctuation of the old unit?

On the AX860 is went from 12.000 to 12.096 a lot. 

The supernova hasn't shifted from .096

9 minutes ago, MrWhitby said:

On the AX860 is went from 12.000 to 12.096 a lot. 

The supernova hasn't shifted from .096

That would still be very good, as always though software readings aren't always the most accurate to say a multimeter, hopefully that solves the problem, if it persists I'm thinking it may just be over sensitivity on the board's part. 

7 minutes ago, W-L said:

That would still be very good, as always though software readings aren't always the most accurate to say a multimeter, hopefully that solves the problem, if it persists I'm thinking it may just be over sensitivity on the board's part. 

I still have a UPS arriving tomorrow to help stabilize it, then onto booking an electrician. I'm just hoping the MB isn't faulty at this point. But hopefully with making sure there is clean power and a new PSU. The only thing that would become an issue is the MB. 

New PSU in, UPS in, All is well. Other than a few minor issues popping up, I've reinstalled WIndows which rectify the issue which seems to have done it. Thanks for your Help W-L