Tips for building a new PC!

zvParadox

Hey guys so I built a computer and I'm here to help you guys avoid what I did wrong.

1.DONT GO CHEAP!!

when building a PC going the cheap route will end up having you upset with performance. cheap defined as less than 700 dollars.

2. CPU IS IMPORTANT!!

It is generally a good idea to get a high end CPU before getting a high end GPU because with a high end CPU your upgrade path is endless. a low end CPU will give you a lot worse performance than usual on high end cards because the CPU sends data to the graphics card before the card renders it.

3. NO PREBUILT PC's!!

Try to avoid going to "prebuilt PC" websites because they charge you 100-200 just to build it and I'm some cases 60 dollars for shipping like ibuypower. building a PC is a lot easier than people make it out to be.

4. DON'T HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS!!

When I built my PC I was expecting it to be a monster (AMD FX 8320 GTX 970) but it couldn't run a lot of demanding games on high to ultra with a stable frame rate.

5. GET AN SLI MOTHERBOARD

If you have a little extra budget deffinetly aim for an SLI motherboard. it will come in handy adventually!

If you guys have anything to say leave a comment!! thanks for reading! ;)

1 minute ago, zvParadox said:

GTX 970) but it couldn't run a lot of demanding games on high to ultra with a stable frame rate.

you did something terribly wrong then. What res?

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

your CPU is bottle necking your GPU to an extent, resulting in poor performance

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Just now, shadowbyte said:

Exactly even though OP said to get a more expensive cpu, maybe that was his mistake?

I agree, don't go cheap. Use your budget to build the best system you can, spend remainder on GPU. You want to build a machine that you only need to upgrade the GPU. 

Just now, BaileyFY said:

Exactly even though OP said to get a more expensive cpu, maybe that was his mistake?

that's what I thought.

the 8320 doesn't exactly spring to mind when I think of a "high end cpu"

something like an i5-4460 will do just fine

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, FloRolf said:

you did something terribly wrong then. What res?

1080. I switched to an i5 6600k a weak ago and my performance was boosted greatly!

4 minutes ago, zvParadox said:

Hey guys so I built a computer and I'm here to help you guys avoid what I did wrong.

1.DONT GO CHEAP!!

when building a PC going the cheap route will end up having you upset with performance. cheap defined as less than 700 dollars.

2. CPU IS IMPORTANT!!

It is generally a good idea to get a high end CPU before getting a high end GPU because with a high end CPU your upgrade path is endless. a low end CPU will give you a lot worse performance than usual on high end cards because the CPU sends data to the graphics card before the card renders it.

3. NO PREBUILT PC's!!

Try to avoid going to "prebuilt PC" websites because they charge you 100-200 just to build it and I'm some cases 60 dollars for shipping like ibuypower. building a PC is a lot easier than people make it out to be.

4. DON'T HAVE HIGH EXPECTATIONS!!

When I built my PC I was expecting it to be a monster (AMD FX 8320 GTX 970) but it couldn't run a lot of demanding games on high to ultra with a stable frame rate.

5. GET AN SLI MOTHERBOARD

If you have a little extra budget deffinetly aim for an SLI motherboard. it will come in handy adventually!

If you guys have anything to say leave a comment!! thanks for reading! ;)

1. You can go cheap... a I5 4460 and a 380 will max games out 60 fps on high settings, and its less then 700$..

2. They are both evenly important

3. Agreed

4. You fucked up with the CPU Part

5. SLI/Crossfire has lots of disadvantages imo i'd go for one 980 ti than dual 970's or dual 390's just in terms of games supporting 2 gpu's

2 minutes ago, zvParadox said:

3. NO PREBUILT PC's!!

Try to avoid going to "prebuilt PC" websites because they charge you 100-200 just to build it and I'm some cases 60 dollars

Prebuilts are not bad afterall. They are for ones who are not very good at building one themselves, so they get them from an OEM just to be safe and get cheap Windows and antivirus.

Athlon X2 for only 27.31$   Best part lists at different price points   Windows 1.01 running natively on an Eee PC

My rig:

Spoiler

Celeronator (new main rig)

CPU: Intel Celeron (duh) N2840 2.16GHz Dual Core

RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz

HDD: Seagate 500GB

GPU: Intel HD Graphics 3000 Series

Spoiler

Frankenhertz (ex main rig)

CPU: Intel Atom N2600 1.6GHz Dual Core

RAM: 1GB DDR3-800

HDD: HGST 320GB

GPU: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 3600

2 minutes ago, shadowbyte said:

very true especially in CPU demanding games. I was getting 45 FPS ON BORDER LANDS 2 BRO!

2 minutes ago, DaltonM said:

I agree, don't go cheap. Use your budget to build the best system you can, spend remainder on GPU. You want to build a machine that you only need to upgrade the GPU. 

honestly start with a pretty cheap GPU but have a great CPU.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

1. You can go cheap... a I5 4460 and a 380 will max games out 60 fps on high settings, and its less then 700$..

3. Agreed

5. SLI/Crossfire has lots of disadvantages imo i'd go for one 980 ti than dual 970's or dual 390's just in terms of games supporting 2 gpu's

Couldn't have said it better 

for point 5... will DX12 require sli capable motherboard to run multi gpu link? o.O

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

for point 5... will DX12 require sli capable motherboard to run multi gpu link? o.O

I'm not exactly sure how it works but slot 1 and 2 need to be at least 8x PCI-E speed

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

3. Agreed

If you get a 4460, once it becomes a bottleneck, you have to buy another CPU. If you get a 4690k, you can OC once it becomes a bottleneck .Saves you from buying another CPU for 1-2 years. 

4 minutes ago, Aytex said:

3. Agreed

I was saying for future if you get a 980ti you could always get a second one you know xD

Just now, DaltonM said:

If you get a 4460, once it becomes a bottleneck, you have to buy another CPU. If you get a 4690k, you can OC once it becomes a bottleneck .Saves you from buying another CPU for 1-2 years. 

just realized i5 6500 is only 20 bucks more, so go for a 6500 as well

When I started building PC's one thing I learned was to go slow and take your time.

1 minute ago, Aytex said:

just realized i5 6500 is only 20 bucks more, so go for a 6500 as well

different platform, skylake motherboards are generally more expensive than haswell motherboards now, as well as ddr4 compared to ddr3

Just now, Moonzy said:

different platform, skylake motherboards are generally more expensive than haswell motherboards now, as well as ddr4 compared to ddr3

Bearly.

Check prices often my friend??

Just now, Moonzy said:

when I switched over to an i5 6600k it wasn't as expensive as I expected. especially after I sold my old mobo CPU and ram as a combo.

Just now, Aytex said:

Bearly.

Check prices often my friend??

just built my skylake build, so ive looked into things quite a bit recently,

perhaps its just my local problems xD

Just now, Moonzy said:

Can fit almost a r9 390

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($37.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($31.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($308.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($55.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $745.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-03-01 17:37 EST-0500

ez skins

Just now, Moonzy said:

are you liking your new CPU?