Do you think a modern gaming pc should have windows 8

ETRJ

I was just wondering if a modern gaming pc should have windows 8 or stay with windows 7 ?

if its a new PC most definitely its a little faster than 7 and something like startisback easily erases all the clunky parts of Windows 8.

Quoted For Truth (QFT)

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

When windows 8 launched, there were a lot of problems with game compatibility. Are most of them fixed now?

Even if you didnt want to change, you will eventually have to, gamers eventually are forced to change OS to fully utilize their graphics card technologies with Microsoft sometimes FORCE into their upcoming OS,

but never make it compatible with existing operating systems.

XP to Vista = DX10/11

Vista/Win7 to Win8 = New DX11.#

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

At the moment I would say it's personal preference as performance improvements aren't very significant. Also, if you are someone who plays games from the early to mid 90's then Windows 8 has more compatibility issues with older games than Win 7. Eventually, yes you will have to invest in Windows 8 or newer version.

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Generally yes. But if you're interested in older games there are still some compatibility issues with Windows 8 it seems.

This seems to be a huge issue everywhere. and were not talking older as in back when we were youngsters. I mean games as little as 2-5 years old have incompatibility problems with win8. I personally will wait till win9 or what ever comes after 8.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

As people have been saying there are way to many compatibility problems with older games for it to be a viable gaming platform for me. So no.  

As people have been saying there are way to many compatibility problems with older games for it to be a viable gaming platform for me. So no.  

.. Does Compatibility mode change anything?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I've had no compatibility issues.

Then again, I haven't tried playing any games from, like, the '90s.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I find that if it runs on Win 7 it runs as well or better on Win 8. Even Populous (1989) seems to run fine, although I haven't played it, because it looks cheesy, I can't figure out how to play it & I don't really care.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

What games are people having issues with? I play Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Doom, Starcraft, Baulder's Gate, X-Com, Fallout none of these games gave me issues. 

Well Windows 7 runs fine and has support up to 2024 or something. There's nothing Windows 8 can do that 7 can't do, however, 8 performs better in games. But still not a reason for it to be a must.

I don't think any computer should be running windows 8 in my opinion.

As for gaming, games which require the newest iteration of directX will need windows 8 or higher as an OS. But keep in mind, most modern games still don't fully support the current Direct X, not to mention Nvidia's gpu not capable of running all of directX 11's features. 11.1 or whatever they call it on windows 8 will not be the driving force to upgrade.

Windows 8 will perform slightly better than windows 7 but performance increase is not noticeable. Magnitudes of less than 3% performance gains.

If anything we need to move away from Windows as being a gaming platform, Microsoft is helping to make that push ;)

Here's an interesting pax panel which devs talked about getting away from Direct X in favor of open platforms to support more devices.

http://youtu.be/VGqu4CsUX9I?t=8m55s

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

I think for now, its more of a personal choice because its still quite early and there is still lots of windows 7 support. However, eventually you will have to move on and accept Windows 8 because that is the direction Microsoft is committed to. If you don't like this direction, Linux might soon become a viable option for gaming.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Yes and no.

I see it as a personal choice, Windows 8 is faster performance wise, but if you don't like the UI then it negates it.

I call "HoneyBadger" on that.

If you want newer system that boot up and work "over9000xfaster" than 7 - go 8. If you already got 7 or prefer Start button built in and that most games work well with 7 then go with it.

Basicly you cant go wrong with both 7 and 8 as OS for gaming.

<p>Eryi's Action Rule#2 - "Dont jump on the green mushroom"

Ministry of StopIt!

I used 8 since release to manufacturing version that I got from dreamspark. There were no issues with any fairly recent games regarding compatibility. Minus the Modern UI, 8 is superior to 7 in every way. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

The only games I've had difficulty with are the ones I had issues with in vista

think il switch to windows 8 when 8.1 or 8.2 hits but for now im perfectly fine. (plus i enjoy my badass theme)

I would say yes, only if windows 8.1 turns out to be what they say. start menu, and a complete opt out of metro.

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

pick windows 8 without a doubt. There are significant performance increases in most games, about 10% on average and some even manage a 20% increase in FPS. There were a few compatibility issues at launch but it's pretty much fixed now. If you dislike metro (personaly I love it, it's much more efficient) then you can easily change that as well. There's really no reason to keep using windows 7.