FX-8350 + R9 Nano Custom Loop!

Octavialicious

60719a6696dab58a6359b02bf960224e.png

First off, I apologize for my terrible banner (it says Weeb Machine btw) I have gone through so many cards and CPUs and coolers this month, but they are all either loud or overheat like crazy. It finally came to my realization to get the level of silence and performance I desire I need to go for a custom loop. The basis of the build is the Noctua S12A-ULN, the only fan I allow in my systems :) On to the parts!

Core Build:                                                                                Watercooling Parts:

- FX-8350                                                                                   - Black Ice Nemesis 240mm + 360mm Radiator

- R9 Fury Nano                                                                          - XSPC Dual Bay D5 Pump/Res Combo

- Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 R5                                                         - 10x Swiftech Lok-Seal Compression Fittings (3/8 x 5/8)

- 2x 240GB Sandisk SSD Plus (RAID 0)                                     - XSPC White Coolant

- 16GB EVGA 2400MHz                                                             - Mayhems Pink Dye (Going for pastel light pink)

- Enermax Digifanless 550W                                                     - Lian Li CPU Block

- 5x Noctua S12A-ULN                                                               - Alphacool R9 Nano Block

- Samsung U28D590D 4K

Parts selection was simple: to save money. At 4K, my old 980Ti was not bottlenecked by my first gen 2.8 GHz Intel processor, so an FX-8350 OC'd will do wonders. The R9 Nano when watercooled will perform extremely close to an R9 Fury X, and for a fraction of the cost. 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Damnit! I wanted to have a nano! lol

Pretty good looking build so far!

Also the banner has a cat on it, so its good.

Got the last reasonably priced one on amazon :c $460 after rebate :D The powercolor (the one priced this cheap) is sold out on newegg too :( 

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Just now, Octavialicious said:

Got the last reasonably priced one on amazon :c $460 after rebate :D The powercolor (the one priced this cheap) is sold out on newegg too :( 

Aww you should have bought my cooling loop and 390x! I need a nano for passive cooling... :P 

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Aww you should have bought my cooling loop and 390x! I need a nano for passive cooling... :P 

I was looking over your post actually :P I just didn't like the colour scheme (I'm going for pastel pink + black everything else to make it easy on myself lol)

1 minute ago, Octavialicious said:

I was looking over your post actually :P I just didn't like the colour scheme (I'm going for pastel pink + black everything else to make it easy on myself lol)

I should have offered to repaint it haha

Just now, iamdarkyoshi said:

I should have offered to repaint it haha

Speaking of, you did a great job! Just black/red is too manly for my tastes tbh ^_^

Speaking of, you did a great job! Just black/red is too manly for my tastes tbh ^_^

I could have made it pink if you bought it :P Ah well, my brother has a 290x which uses the same PCB, he can buy my water cooling from me once he gets his collective poop in a group and makes some money! That and a passively cooled 390x would be a sight to see...

11 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

it was you.....

I was going to buy it today after my payment went through... 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

it was you.....

I was going to buy it today after my payment went through... 

Not even going to lie, I was really antsy to buy the Nano as I felt for some reason it would run out... small word huh :P 

2 minutes ago, Octavialicious said:

Not even going to lie, I was really antsy to buy the Nano as I felt for some reason it would run out... small word huh :P 

well good to see it's going to good use, at least to a fellow southern californian. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Hey, look who pops up when you search it up?

b6168b99f4d578ce7be3ede88e57824b.png

Could only find one other build log with one, and the guy randomly disappeared and never finished it :P

Is that MSI 970 new? wow where did you get it? cool :3

Soo many noctua's, waah...

This gives me ideas to sell my current GPUs oh R9 Nano or Q3 it will all wreck my 970 xo

15 minutes ago, Redicat said:

Is that MSI 970 new? wow where did you get it? cool :3

Soo many noctua's, waah...

This gives me ideas to sell my current GPUs oh R9 Nano or Q3 it will all wreck my 970 xo

no idea, got it used for good pricerino :P 

anddd I got my 3rd broken GPU in a row. (First 980Ti had terrible terrible artifacting and eventually died, 2nd 980Ti had pump issues) and now this card has minor artifacting (which should get worse) and coil whine :( 

The Sapphire R9 Nano, the only other one in stock, was $40 more :c But thanks to amazon's stellar support they gave me a $40 refund!! It will also get here tomorrow, which is perfect because the watercooling parts don't get here until Friday. (Also lucky because Sapphire support is the best!)

1 hour ago, Octavialicious said:

anddd I got my 3rd broken GPU in a row. (First 980Ti had terrible terrible artifacting and eventually died, 2nd 980Ti had pump issues) and now this card has minor artifacting (which should get worse) and coil whine :( 

The Sapphire R9 Nano, the only other one in stock, was $40 more :c But thanks to amazon's stellar support they gave me a $40 refund!! It will also get here tomorrow, which is perfect because the watercooling parts don't get here until Friday. (Also lucky because Sapphire support is the best!)

i guess i lucked out? 

Resist!

Subbed, don't push that 8350 too far on the 970 board or it will fry it, just a heads up.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

54 minutes ago, Benji_w said:

Subbed, don't push that 8350 too far on the 970 board or it will fry it, just a heads up.

4.8? Got it back on my old chip with a 78LMT board :P (I've had better ideas)

4.8? Got it back on my old chip with a 78LMT board :P (I've had better ideas)

Depends how much voltage that 4.8 needs to be stable... I'm going to hazard a guess that the VRM on the 970 aren't going to be cool enough with air to stop them from going pop.

Spoiler

post-122562-0-13319200-1441411354_thumb.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Performance is good, noise is good, temps are good.... and then the Nano has the most insane coil whine I've ever seen in my life :( 

idk if I'll just suck it up or do a third return >:( 

On 3/4/2016 at 10:50 PM, Benji_w said:

Depends how much voltage that 4.8 needs to be stable... I'm going to hazard a guess that the VRM on the 970 aren't going to be cool enough with air to stop them from going pop.

Reveal hidden contents

post-122562-0-13319200-1441411354_thumb.

Got me a 990FX-UD3 at microcenter :) Should do the trick right? 

3 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Got me a 990FX-UD3 at microcenter :) Should do the trick right? 

No the UD3 has issues with heat and thermal throttling, it also has a low thermal limit hard coded into it IIRC, you'll need to keep that board really cool in order to hit over 4.7ghz.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken

20 hours ago, Octavialicious said:

Performance is good, noise is good, temps are good.... and then the Nano has the most insane coil whine I've ever seen in my life :( 

idk if I'll just suck it up or do a third return >:( 

My EVGA FTW 970 had loud coil whine so I left it folding for a day or so and it reduced it, you can also find the coil producing the noise and put clear nail polish over it, however I've never done that myself to silence a card.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken