Rate my upcoming overkill build

I am building an overkill computer, here are my specs, please do tell me if there is anything I should change (preferably for stuff I haven't purchased yet)

Specifications:

CPU: Upcoming intel extreme chip or Intel Core i7 5960x

Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240m (Purchased)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5 (Purchased)

RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2800Mhz (4x16GB)

SSD: Samsung 850-Evo 1TB or possibly Intel 750 1.2TB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan X Reference Cards (2-way SLI)

PSU: EVGA SuperNova T2 1600W (Purchased)

Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition (Purchased)

Thermal Compound: IC Diamond 7 carat

Monitor: Acer Predator X34

dual 980ti's will provide comparable or better performance

Look at EVGA's kingpin and MSI's lightning versions

Also, are you considering a custom loop at that price point?

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

3/10 for good build

overkill ram

titan X instead of 980ti

Gigabyte motherboard

Louder cooler

WAAAAAAAYYYY overkill PSU

Dual 144hz monitors (dual monitor gaming is not fun) and not IPS

If you want to show off burn money instead..

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, shadowbyte said:

dual 980ti's will provide comparable or better performance

Look at EVGA's kingpin and MSI's lightning versions

Also, are you considering a custom loop at that price point?

Was always anxious about custom water loops, but I did consider it.

2/10

Who even needs 128GB of RAM? That's just unnecessary money being wasted.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

2/10

Who even needs 128GB of RAM? That's just unnecessary money being wasted.

That's just for the sake of overkill :P

Just now, fuj1n said:

That's just for the sake of overkill :P

overkill needs to make sense too... having 32 gb is waaaay enough for w/e you're going to do (except for some professional apps)

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

overkill needs to make sense too... having 32 gb is waaaay enough for w/e you're going to do (except for some professional apps)

its his money lol we get pictures lol

Specifications:

CPU: Upcoming intel extreme chip or Intel Core i7 5960x

Cooler: Cooler Master Nepton 240m (Purchased)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming 5 (Purchased)

RAM: Dominator® Platinum Series 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 2666MHz C15 Memory Kit

SSD: Samsung 850-Evo 1TB or possibly Intel 750 1.2TB

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980Ti (2-way SLI) (or 3-way SLI)

PSU: EVGA SuperNova T2 1600W (Purchased)

Case: NZXT H440 Razer Edition (Purchased)

Thermal Compound: IC Diamond 7 carat

Monitor: 3x Asus PG279Q ROG Swift

something like this would be considered overkill, but reasonable i guess

44 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

3/10 for good build

overkill ram

titan X instead of 980ti

Gigabyte motherboard

Louder cooler

WAAAAAAAYYYY overkill PSU

Dual 144hz monitors (dual monitor gaming is not fun) and not IPS

If you want to show off burn money instead..

Not trying to show off here, just want a really good PC. For dual monitors, I will not use both for gaming, when I game, I will use one, the other is for productivity, and both identical for the sake of aesthetics. I agree that the monitor is not IPS, but that's the best G-sync compliant monitor I could find (please do suggest another if you know of one with G-Sync).

8 minutes ago, fuj1n said:

Not trying to show off here, just want a really good PC. For dual monitors, I will not use both for gaming, when I game, I will use one, the other is for productivity, and both identical for the sake of aesthetics. I agree that the monitor is not IPS, but that's the best G-sync compliant monitor I could find (please do suggest another if you know of one with G-Sync).

Why does the other monitor need to be gsync?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Why does the other monitor need to be gsync?

It doesn't, I just want identical monitors because I can't stand having that lack of symmetry.

So people commenting about my poor monitor choices has got me thinking, so I switched the two PG279Q's with a single Acer Predator X34, which has both G-Sync support and an IPS panel. The ultra-wide characteristic of the monitor enabled me to use a single monitor.

You can't run 128 Gb on Haswell-E, those CPUs only support 64 Gb. 128 Gb needs a Xeon.

Linus is my fetish.

10 minutes ago, Bhav said:

You can't run 128 Gb on Haswell-E, those CPUs only support 64 Gb. 128 Gb needs a Xeon.

Oh wow, thanks, I didn't even realize that flaw in my plan.

Edit: now I know why RAM kits rarely come in 128GB sets.

Edit 2: switched out to 64GB of Dominator Platinum.

8 minutes ago, fuj1n said:

Oh wow, thanks, I didn't even realize that flaw in my plan.

I can't find the thread on the Corsair forum where someone tried it, but you can see it here under specification > memory that it only allows 64 Gb:

http://ark.intel.com/m/products/82930/Intel-Core-i7-5960X-Processor-Extreme-Edition-20M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz#@product/specifications

You could instead try one 64 Gb 3333 Mhz kit, or two 32 Gb 3600 from the Corsair vengeance line which are currently the fastest rated high density modules.

I'm getting one 3600 32 Gb kit, and planning on changing it to 32Gb 4266 if that ever gets released and isn't crazy expensive.

Linus is my fetish.

Just no, why?

1. Your ram kit is way too expensive for what it's worth, something like Vengeance LPX or HyperX is more sensible

2. While M2 SSDs are fast, 1TB of them is just too expensive and if you play games you will soon run out of storage

3. Dual Titan Xs is a waste, for the same amount of money you can get THREE WAY SLI 980 Ti which will smoke the hell out of the dual Titan X

By the way, what's your specific budget?

Scarlet KnightIntel Core i3 6100 || Antec A40 Pro CPU Cooler || MSI Z170A Gaming M5 || Kingston HyperX 16GB DDR4-2133MHz || Samsung 850 Evo 120GB || Seagate Barracuda 1TB || Gigabyte G1 Gaming R9 390X 8GB || Seasonic M12II 620W || In Win 503 || Corsair Strafe || Steelseries Kinzu V3 MSI Edition || Dell UltraSharp U2414H || Xiaomi Alumunium Mouse Pad (S)

#Gadget: 

Phone: BlackBerry Classic Q20, Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S-LTE SM-N916S

Console: PlayStation 4 500GB CUH-1206A

Tablet: iPad Air 2 16GB Wi-fi Only

Laptop: MSI GE62 (i7 4720HQ || 8GB DDR3 || NVIDIA GTX960M || Samsung 650 EVO 120GB + 1TB HDD)

In-ear Monitor: Xiaomi Piston 3.0

8 minutes ago, GarnetDevil said:

Just no, why?

1. Your ram kit is way too expensive for what it's worth, something like Vengeance LPX or HyperX is more sensible

2. While M2 SSDs are fast, 1TB of them is just too expensive and if you play games you will soon run out of storage

3. Dual Titan Xs is a waste, for the same amount of money you can get THREE WAY SLI 980 Ti which will smoke the hell out of the dual Titan X

By the way, what's your specific budget?

1. I decided to go to dominator because I like the way it looks and I know it is very well regarded.

2. For SSDs I am either going for a PCIe Intel 750 or a Sata 3 Samsung Evo 950, so no M.2 here. (I may put a mass storage drive in the PC for the storage reasons)

3. I wanted the extra RAM of the Titan X's for future proofing as it has double that of the 980Ti, also, for a PC that expensive, I want the "premium" feeling. (still might reconsider though, but if I decide to go with 3-way SLI and I go with the PCIe drive, I'll have two cards run in 8x and one in 16x instead of both in 16x)

I don't have a specific budget, but I wouldn't want to go too far over 7125.80USD / 10000AUD / 9629.09CAD.

Edited by fuj1n

44 minutes ago, fuj1n said:

I wanted the extra RAM of the Titan X's for future proofing as it has double that of the 980Ti, also, for a PC that expensive, I want the "premium" feeling. (still might reconsider though, but if I decide to go with 3-way SLI and I go with the PCIe drive, I'll have two cards run in 8x and one in 16x instead of both in 16x)

you mentioned you will only game on one monitor, which is a 1440p monitor.
at the moment, there are no games that will exceed 6gb of ram in a 1440p, even on ultra natively

you can exceed 6gb by modding it but i doubt your gpu have enough horsepower to push playable frame rates at that kind of details
so u might wanna reconsider on the titan

as of now, the reason to pick titan X over 980 Ti for gaming is pure just to have a longer e-peen

Just now, Moonzy said:

you mentioned you will only game on one monitor, which is a 1440p monitor.
at the moment, there are no games that will exceed 6gb of ram in a 1440p, even on ultra natively

you can exceed 6gb by modding it but i doubt your gpu have enough horsepower to push playable frame rates at that kind of details
so u might wanna reconsider on the titan

as of now, the reason to pick titan X over 980 Ti for gaming is pure just to have a longer e-peen

I might get a 4k monitor in the future though. I initially wanted a 4k monitor, but couldn't find any decent one that also supported G-sync, which will change eventually.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after long convincing from other people, I have decided to go for two 980tis instead since I cannot see myself using all 12GB of VRAM available with the Titan Xs.