Should I Spend Money on this or that

deptdefense

Ive got a pretty Decent system so far

Intel 5930K 6Core 12threads w/ H110GTX Cooler

MSI R9 390

32GB 3000MHz Dominator 

950 M.2

I think the only thing lagging right now for my greed is the GPU. The MSI 390 has served me well and I got it for one hell of a good price 

before AMD/MSI raised their prices after its potential for mining and 970 scandal

so my decision is on whether to go crossfire on dual R9 390

or go in a route for a 980Ti.

ORRRR If waiting for the next Nvidia Pascal series is worth waiting and likewise on the AMD side.

At first I'd say 980TI but Pascal though...

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

" 970 scandal"

are people still not over this? you know, i got my 970 before that news came out, and it still performs equal now. (in fact, driver updates, it's gotten a bit faster)

on topic: i'd say to sit it out one more generation, or see if you can pick up another r9 390 on the cheap, and later on sell them as a pair.

Just now, manikyath said:

" 970 scandal"

are people still not over this? you know, i got my 970 before that news came out, and it still performs equal now. (in fact, driver updates, it's gotten a bit faster)

on topic: i'd say to sit it out one more generation, or see if you can pick up another r9 390 on the cheap, and later on sell them as a pair.

LOL yea it technically was 

but AMD/MSI used that to their advantage and took alot of the 970 potential market to go for the 390 which does outperform the 970 

smart move on the marketing team.

A 5820K will be enough for you. You probably don't need the extra lanes

Thanks,

Reese

So I'm kinda in the same boat with ya... have a wicked PC and I like my r9 390, but i personally am going to enjoy my games at 1080 Ultra/High settings @ 120fps and wait to see what happens with both Pascal and Polaris. I want an EVGA 980ti hybrid bad, but I'd rather keep saving my money, and get the top of the line card once we see who takes the pole position after release and real world testing . I just don't feel Like x-fire is really worth the performance to price ratio. Plus I'll go to 1440 or 4k at that point as well. Hopefully there are Hybrid designs for both card companies, when they release, cool and silent operation is what i want most...

8 minutes ago, The_KIASER said:

So I'm kinda in the same boat with ya... have a wicked PC and I like my r9 390, but i personally am going to enjoy my games at 1080 Ultra/High settings @ 120fps and wait to see what happens with both Pascal and Polaris. I want an EVGA 980ti hybrid bad, but I'd rather keep saving my money, and get the top of the line card once we see who takes the pole position after release and real world testing . I just don't feel Like x-fire is really worth the performance to price ratio. Plus I'll go to 1440 or 4k at that point as well. Hopefully there are Hybrid designs for both card companies, when they release, cool and silent operation is what i want most...

I freaking love my Hybrid, rock solid card.

OP, we're looking at June as the earliest any Pascal cards will launch, and that's most likely going to be entry level. Polaris is reported launching as low end mobile.

I just go a 980ti myself, if I need the extra power in a year I'll just pick up a second one on the cheap. 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

12 minutes ago, App4that said:

I freaking love my Hybrid, rock solid card.

OP, we're looking at June as the earliest any Pascal cards will launch, and that's most likely going to be entry level. Polaris is reported launching as low end mobile.

I just go a 980ti myself, if I need the extra power in a year I'll just pick up a second one on the cheap. 

True on those time lines for the next series of GPU's, but I'm playing games at awesome settings with this 390 which is on a plane with that 970. It just seems like spending all that money on a 980ti hybrid is just not worth it at this point, especially when the next series of GPU is around the corner. If you were to just be patient, play happily with the 970, and keep saving, by the time they release the next line up of GPU's, you should have enough for the top most tier card. If OP is going for higher that 1080p res at the moment then yea i can see more justification in purchasing a 980ti now. Although the 970 is still capable of playable 1440 fps, 4k is where you would start to see the card drag. Again I'm in the same boat, I make more than enough money to just go buy a 980ti Hybrid right now, but if I'm just patient and be happy with what i got, i can go all out later... OP, it is your money though, and you do what you will with it. Either way you choose to go, I'm sure you will be happy in the end. I personally wish i had been a little more patient and saved a bit more, and not jump the gun so quick with my build and got that EVGA hybrid.

Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Personally, just do dual 390s if you want a better resale value. My money's on the 980 Ti resale value going down the shitter a la 780 Ti.

Is that why you bought it though, it's a graphics card not a house lol. 

The he new cards will be cool but by the time a 980ti isn't worth using we'll have much better options available. For all we know VR takes root and you don't need to run games at crazy resolutions. Just my 2c though

Just now, App4that said:

Is that why you bought it though, it's a graphics card not a house lol. 

The he new cards will be cool but by the time a 980ti isn't worth using we'll have much better options available. For all we know VR takes root and you don't need to run games at crazy resolutions. Just my 2c though

I mean yeah, but I'd think OP would rather prefer having a better chance of getting at least half his money back. Once again, personal opinion, but still.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

10 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I mean yeah, but I'd think OP would rather prefer having a better chance of getting at least half his money back. Once again, personal opinion, but still.

Agreed. My opinion is based on the 980ti not being run at crazy resolutions. A 390 is more than enough to get someone through the summer.

6 hours ago, reesercollins said:

A 5820K will be enough for you. You probably don't need the extra lanes

Thanks,

Reese

5930K is the processor I have
that list is what my current system is

I see I think ill just wait

I might just pickup a 390 for 200 on the cheap somewhere till the higher end next gen comes