What PC parts do you consider obsolete?

iamdarkyoshi
Just now, Stardar1 said:

(I changed my mind)

I've not found them cheaper anywhere

Have you not looked anywhere? :P EBay / Craigslist is the way to go.

Sergeant, United States Marine Corps

Network Administrator, Comptia A+, Security+, Cisco Certified Networking Associate

From a G3258 to dual Xeon E5-2670's

This thread

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

4 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Anything pre-2010 that's not an Opteron or Xeon when it comes to CPUs, pre-7xxx and 7xx GPUs, Any HDD really under 7200rpms, and DDR2 and older.

My 5900rpm WD Red says otherwise. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I think you meant 2015 ;)

/s

Nah, I was referring to my own laptop, 5 years old, broken keys, and has a half dead battery. Pretty obsolete.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I agree pretty much any CPU older than sandy, anything with less than 4 GB of RAM, and anything not using an SSD for a boot drive.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

17 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

To me, anything under a core2duo or an HD6450 is pretty much obsolete.

I know these are kinda vague specs, but to be honest, I think for general web surfing, a core2duo is fine. But a pentium dual core or worse is just too slow.

And for things that need a basic videocard, like my 3D printer host PC, an HD6450 is pretty much a perfect card for it, just fast enough for what I need. Obviously there are newer parts that might actually be slower, but I think the raw performance of the core2duo and HD6450 is pretty much a comparison to compare other parts to.

What do you consider too obsolete to be worth using?

I have a Core 2 Duo that I plan to use for a file server at some point.

If what I'm posting has already been posted, I'm sorry.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I agree pretty much any CPU older than sandy, anything with less than 4 GB of RAM, and anything not using an SSD for a boot drive.

My core2duo testbench boots Windows 7 64 bit in like 15 seconds (seriously, all it needed was an SSD) and it is plenty fast for what I use it for

If to take into account all pc parts. The dvd burner :D. Gpu anything on the low end. Doesn't really matter the age. 930 even now is obsolete, while 690 is still rocking. It always depends on the price. I will most likely take the working parts for free. Just for extra parts or testing. I'm working on xeons from 2011 and price to performance there is nothing that can compete with it... So it always a race to efficiency 

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My core2duo testbench boots Windows 7 64 bit in like 15 seconds (seriously, all it needed was an SSD) and it is plenty fast for what I use it for

All I know is of the variety of systems I've used, the one that was good enough but just barely was a sandy bridge i3, 4 GB of RAM, and a HDD (which made it unusable towards the end).

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, multifrag said:

If to take into account all pc parts. The dvd burner :D. Gpu anything on the low end. Doesn't really matter the age. 930 even now is obsolete, while 690 is still rocking. It always depends on the price. I will most likely take the working parts for free. Just for extra parts or testing. I'm working on xeons from 2011 and price to performance there is nothing that can compete with it... So it always a race to efficiency 

DVD burners are still handy. I burn backups of CDs somewhat regularly and my college still sells event DVDs. :P

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

All I know is of the variety of systems I've used, the one that was good enough but just barely was a sandy bridge i3, 4 GB of RAM, and a HDD (which made it unusable towards the end).

I made 450 bucks the other day selling a system with a sandy i3, 8GB of RAM, a laptop 7200RPM 500GB HDD, and a 270x, with monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers. Guy seemed exceptionally pleased with its gaming performance compared to a similarly priced machine he bought at worst buy

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

DVD burners are still handy. I burn backups of CDs somewhat regularly and my college still sells event DVDs. :P

Yesterday I used the disk drive I put in my testbench to.. get this... install windows... I somehow found a genuine windows 7 professional disk before I found my damn flash drive...

1 minute ago, B.Toast said:

No no no. That is why we have a laptops for :D . Latop is for once in 3 years dvd burner.

EVGA SR-2 / 2x Intel Xeon X5675 4.4Ghz OC / 24GB EEC 1800Mhz OC/ AMD RX570 / Enermax Evoliution 1050W / Main RAID 0: 2x256GB 840EVO SSD / BackUp(1) Raid 5: 3x2TB WD HDD / BackUp(2) 8x2TB / Dell U2412M / Dell U2312HM

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I made 450 bucks the other day selling a system with a sandy i3, 8GB of RAM, a laptop 7200RPM 500GB HDD, and a 270x, with monitor/keyboard/mouse/speakers. Guy seemed exceptionally pleased with its gaming performance compared to a similarly priced machine he bought at worst buy

well good for him.  I'm not saying no one's allowed to use anything older than that - it's just my experience :)

4 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Yesterday I used the disk drive I put in my testbench to.. get this... install windows... I somehow found a genuine windows 7 professional disk before I found my damn flash drive...

Been there, done that. :P

4 minutes ago, multifrag said:

No no no. That is why we have a laptops for :D. Latop is for once in 3 years dvd burner.

I use an external USB one for my needs (mostly because I have it and am ironically cheap enough [despite my X99 rig] that I don't want to spend $20 on an internal one).

---

With the exception of certain military and/or industrial applications that still rely on them, I'd say 3.5" and 5.5" floppy drives/disks, and cartridge-based PCs are now obsolete.

25 minutes ago, Arty said:

Granny PC = Chromebook or Chromebox.

Good point, but its nice to have more, for gand kids or whatnot, they're still decent parts, not worth replacing with a different package imo.  

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

Pentium anything - excluding the newer i-series parts. 

what about the unlocked ones

i7-5820K | ASUS X99-A | Corsair DDR4 LPX 16 GB | MSI GTX 970 Gaming | Corsair 750D | WD Black 1 TB | MX100 256 GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 Watt | ASUS VG248QE | Corsair H105 | K70 MX blues non-RGB | M95 | H1500 | Windows 8.1 64-bit

1 hour ago, Tmt97 said:

Nah, I was referring to my own laptop, 5 years old, broken keys, and has a half dead battery. Pretty obsolete.

I was just being facetious lol.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

4-6 years old is typically what I consider out of date, and that's regardless of it being high-end or low end.

So for a current example: anything that runs on DDR2, pre SATA 3 hard drives, pre-directx11 graphics cards, etc.

38 minutes ago, Meawa said:

what about the unlocked ones

read 'excluding the new i-series parts' - such as the ones based on Haswell and Skylake 

idk

5 hours ago, Arty said:

pretty much anything older than sandybridge 

for me in terms of computer parts.

Hard drives that aren't in raid. 

Or hard drives used for windows.

I7 980 is older than sandy bridge but still maxes out all games and doesn't botteneck SLI or Xfire.

Linus is my fetish.

4 minutes ago, Bhav said:

I7 980 is older than sandy bridge but still maxes out all games and doesn't botteneck SLI or Xfire.

it most definitely can in some games. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I dunno about you but I can still find day-to-day use out of a Toshiba with an AMD Turion X2 if I felt like it.

Nothing is really outdated for me until it can't do MS Word, Spotify, and LTT at the same time.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.