What PC parts do you consider obsolete?

iamdarkyoshi
5 hours ago, Arty said:

Dddddddds

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

it most definitely can in some games. 

This forum is so fucking broken this quote won't go away and I can't type outside it. Any game that's going to bottlenck on an I7 980 isn't going to fare much better on newer CPUs.

Linus is my fetish.

5 minutes ago, Bhav said:

This forum is so fucking broken this quote won't go away and I can't type outside it. Any game that's going to bottlenck on an I7 980 isn't going to fare much better on newer CPUs.

double click the quote box and then click delete, that will delete the quote. Hit enter twice (while at the end of the quote box) to be able to type outside of it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Anything older than a GTX 480. If someone gave me a system with triple water cooled 480s and an i7 920, which would be super cheap now, I'd be overjoyed.

Anything pre-C2D is obsolete IMHO.

Also, anything that uses an FDD is obsolete.

Single core CPUs or any dual-core pre Core2 Duo series CPUs. IDE drives (pre SATA), Optical drives. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

If the hardware's performance is no longer sufficient for what I'm putting it to, then I consider it obsolete for that task, or in the case of very old hardware vs the modern internet, obsolete altogether.

My laptop for example. With a 1st gen i5 and a Radeon 5470, my gpu requirements evolved well past what that hardware could provide, thus it is obsolete as a graphics platform. However, with the i5, ssd, and 6 GB of RAM, it is still a very capable internet machine and serviceable for light games such as Minecraft for the sister.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

At this point, I feel a lot of older hardware is perfectly usable as long as it's without physical defects. It's more about the tasks it's expected to perform and how well it can perform them. Once a system is unable to keep up with it's users expectations, it becomes obsolete in that given case. Obsolescence can be remedied with upgrades to things like RAM and SSD, but those are usually temporary solutions, if not total placebos, depending on the system's main use. 

Unix & FORTRAN

... although I'm sure the OP intended to discuss hardware parts instead of the software parts of a PC.

EDIT: I just realized this is my first post and it's a rather weird way to join the community. But, I'm on lunch and I haven't had the time to post my original question(s) in a well written and coherent post. I'm really looking forward to being able to talk about advanced technology concepts with like-minded people though, so with that being said, hello! I'll get around to my original question (and posting my build) later so there's no need to de-rail this thread with introductions.

Edited by armbrust11
Introducing my first post in context

Boring response time:

Nothing is obsolete and will have a use. Just because something is newer and better does not mean it is no longer fit for its original purpose.

Always felt that way, I'll never change.

Obsolete?

Anything older than Core 2. Core 2 parts you can still use for NASes, home servers and PFSense routers. Hell, I have a Core 2 Duo E6550 in my work machine and with an SSD it runs like greased lightning. they make great casual facebook machines. Core 2 Quads even make good low-end gaming rigs.

3 minutes ago, KemoKa said:

Obsolete?

Anything older than Core 2. Core 2 parts you can still use for NASes, home servers and PFSense routers. Hell, I have a Core 2 Duo E6550 in my work machine and with an SSD it runs like greased lightning. they make great casual facebook machines. Core 2 Quads even make good low-end gaming rigs.

My testbench with its 3ghz core2duo and 80GB SSD are damn amazing in terms of speed. Its the third fastest PC in the house, second being my brothers and first being mine

1 minute ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

My testbench with its 3ghz core2duo and 80GB SSD are damn amazing in terms of speed. Its the third fastest PC in the house, second being my brothers and first being mine

lol for the absolute longest time, my work machine was the fastest machine in the office by a long stretch despite having a core 2 duo up against the i5s and i7s in the rest of the machines. The only difference was that mine had an SSD and the others had spinning rust.

1 minute ago, KemoKa said:

lol for the absolute longest time, my work machine was the fastest machine in the office by a long stretch despite having a core 2 duo up against the i5s and i7s in the rest of the machines. The only difference was that mine had an SSD and the others had spinning rust.

Funny thing is I have not spent a penny on my testbench yet, everything so far has been free

1080p!! the sooner the masses realize it needs to die the faster the development and push for higher will be!

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Just now, Badger906 said:

1080p!! the sooner the masses realize it needs to die the faster the development and push for higher will be!

I'm still rockin' a couple of 1050p monitors. They're secondary monitors, okay, but... It's all good.

Nothing is obsolete as long as it can be re-purposed properly.

I sold an old Pentium IV machine to my cousin for her 4 year old daughter to play some games on for $50.

I donated my Pentium D system that I was using up until the start of the new year to my school to use at their HAM station. I've also donated a Pentium IV system to the school and a Pentium III system with a SCSI controller. All of the hardware was in working order (with the exception that they were missing their recently destroyed hard drives).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

I actually made a huge mistake buying a C2D with the idea of upgrading to a quad, because by then X58 was out.

But now I've been on X58 for longer than I was on Socket 7.

But I might get 14 nm broad well next, depends on the prices.

Linus is my fetish.

Old network cards, old fans

Anything that isn't part of the core i series ( core 2 quad is also fine depending on use )

hd 5850 equivalent or higher is also fine

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I don't feel that optical drives are yet obsolete, but rather that they simply have become much more of a niche piece of hardware.  But they'll eventually go the way of floppy drives.

On 2/23/2016 at 1:40 PM, Mohenjo said:

all hard drives imo. Solid state storage should be the new norm. But in specs wise tbh anything under a secon gen intel is pretty obsolete. Because anything before that can be a huge bottleneck 

Not for mass storage. Solid state drives still have ways to go when it comes to mass storage. Cost is more of a factor there than pure speed.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz