Microsoft won't release the HoloLens until "the world is ready"

wyattzx

VdJxeWKRvU8f.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg

Microsoft's HoloLens AR headset sounds like a potentially impressive piece of equipment, and a developer's kit will be rolling out sometime in the first quarter of this year (which we are currently in the midst of) for a whopping $3000. Don't expect a consumer version to follow anytime soon, though. Microsoft's Alex Kipman said at a recent TED Conference in Vancouver, reported by Recode, that the company is determined to avoid repeating the mistakes it made with Kinect.

Source: PCGamer

While this approach makes sense, I feel that the HoloLens will have no place in any consumers' homes with a price tag of $3,000. It's less of an entertainment device, and more of a development device at that point. Augmented Reality should be reserved for things like engineering, the medical field, et cetera. The price for entry is simply too high for your average consumer, even if the product is of high quality. That being said, I'm glad Microsoft is being sensible about this, as it seems the wounds from the Kinect haven't quite healed yet, as is referenced in the source link. 

Thoughts?

Because they know if they release it "now", it won't really sell at all and it will flop.
Then in 5 years Apple will come around and release the same thing just with a new coat of paint and suddenly everyone buys it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I honestly expected it would cost something like that at first.  If is clearly going to be years before this is ready at all, never mind cheap enough to be affordable by consumers.  I think there will be (once it is commonplace) expensive models that military, engineering, medical, etc. use that have all the latest stuff and then cheaper ones that the rest of us get that are basically the old high-end ones.

The take home point is that this is even more complicated to do well than VR and thus the pricing will follow it + a premium.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

That $3k price was never targeted for the consumer in the first place. It's called a dev kit for a reason.

Also have a look at what/how they are making use of HoloLens IRL.

https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2016/02/20/microsoft-hololens-in-space-making-science-fiction-mixed-reality/

inb4 apple releases they're AR solutions, a hold of practically the majority of market share, then someone like google or Samung joins the party with a more open alternative, starts catching up to Apple and when the two major competing platfoem become the AR standard MS will release their consumer versin of the halolens struggle to gain marketshare and see it's platform receive a slow and painful death... This gives me a feel of deja-vu... and it's not the first time it does

b51b5e8aa062dbc2578ffd03726021721a01fbc1

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I don't think the tech is really there yet for AR.  The screen tech, sure, cameras, yah.  But the support tech behind it, batteries that could last long enough, and a computer small enough and powerful enough, and the software capable of actually doing what people expect it to do.  Those aren't ready.  Until it can actually truly do what they showed in the original promo video, it won't be worth it.  It will just be a gimmick that only works in very specific situations, for a lot of money.  VR is ready for prime time, its just costly.  But we aren't close to HoloLens AR, not like the people who would be using it expect.

I think its smart to wait, the tech isn't ready.  And if they released now, it would be like 3D TVs, a handful of people would get it and use it. 

7 hours ago, Aytex said:

More like the Developers aren't ready 

Spoiler

kRQgbjw_700wa_0.gif

Change is

200_s.gif

whether the world is ready or not!

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Based on the public reaction when the price of the Rift and Vive was announced, Microsoft is smart. When you release a brand new technology at a reasonable price but is too high for most consumers it causes anger and outrage apparently. People lost their minds when HTC announced their cheap $799 price tag for the Vive yesterday, people would riot if Microsoft released any new technology costing 4 figures.

-KuJoe

they went on about this for ages, and now they are like "nah"

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

5 hours ago, zMeul said:

to be read - we, MS, fucked up .. again

if by fuck up you mean being too ahead of the crowd then yea. I wholeheartedly agree. They've always been fucking up in that way, but can you blame them for trying new things?

1 hour ago, ShadowCaptain said:

they went on about this for ages, and now they are like "nah"

they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. I mean Kinect is a clear example of what happens when they "do" I can think og 4 main points for Microsoft "failing" in the eyes of the consumers. 1) they used to be the big company which took eons to move or change, causing them to miss out on mobile. 2) They too frequently are way "ahead" of the times. While i applaud them for it. I think what apple has shown us is that being ahead of the game isnt enough. You need to be ahead AND deliever. 3) Theres this wierd stigma associated with MS that it isnt cool; its some kind of tryant; its pure evil. It doesnt help that 4) They absolutely suck in communication.This is something they probably need to address as its hurting good efforts like windows 10/ windows phone/previous xbox concept.

1 minute ago, Ex14 said:

SNIP

I actually dont think microsoft have a clue when it comes to anything

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

3 minutes ago, ShadowCaptain said:

I actually dont think microsoft have a clue when it comes to anything

I actually think they do have a plan, but their dismal communication have very frequently cause major misunderstandings which then cause massive backlash, which in turn causes them to backtrack on alot of their plans and such.

Are they holding back because "the world is not ready", or because "our product is not ready"? I think it is the latter.

At 3000 dollars it will barely sell any units at all. Just look at how people reacted to the Oculus Rift being 600 dollars (plus taxes and shipping). You might say that the Rift and the Hololens aren't competing since one is augmented reality and the other is VR, but they are totally competing. Most people will not get both. They will get one or the other.

The comparison to the Kinect is laughable. The Kinect was seen as a flop because it was shit. It was extremely inaccurate and could only be used for things which required huge movements (like dancing when you throw up your entire arm). It wasn't because "the world was not ready", it was because the technology behind the product wasn't ready. I mean, just look at the sales figures of it. It sold like crazy because people were ready, then they were disappointed by the terrible quality of the product.

The only way the comparison is accurate is if Microsoft knows that the Hololens is a really unpolished and gimmicky product, like the Kinect was.

Just now, LAwLz said:

SNIP.

10000000000000000% agree

11 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

if by fuck up you mean being too ahead of the crowd then yea. I wholeheartedly agree. They've always been fucking up in that way, but can you blame them for trying new things?

riight ,,,

how about that Surface Hub? wasn't it supposed to start shiping like a month ago ^_^

yeah

4 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

The comparison to the Kinect is laughable. The Kinect was seen as a flop because it was shit. It was extremely inaccurate and could only be used for things which required huge movements (like dancing when you throw up your entire arm). It wasn't because "the world was not ready", it was because the technology behind the product wasn't ready. I mean, just look at the sales figures of it. It sold like crazy because people were ready, then they were disappointed by the terrible quality of the product.

The only way the comparison is accurate is if Microsoft knows that the Hololens is a really unpolished and gimmicky product, like the Kinect was.

how is it laughable? It just goes to show they are learning not to put it out before they feel the software's caught up. Kinect might have not been THAT accurate but for something that you dont have to stick a million balls/dots to your apendages (Aka motion capture) it was pretty good. Infact OUTSIDE of gaming there have been some interesting apllications for the Kinect tech. The only reason it was gimmicky was because the software made it so. So now that they're waiting on he hololens to be actually enticing youre giving them (somewhat) shit about it? Like what do you want MS to do or even better what would you have done in their shoes in this situation?

Just now, zMeul said:

riight ,,,

how about that Surface Hub? wasn't it supposed to start shiping like a month ago ^_^

yeah

the last I read they're claiming manfucturing issues. It could be a aupplier messed up? That yields of a certain component didn't go well? Who knows? In all honesty, I don't see how a manufacturing issue, which might have been out of their hands honestly, is MS fault. And truthfully. I didn't really think the surface hub was that innovative. But I'm not up to date on the business side of electronics so.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

riight ,,,

yeah

http://www.king5.com/story/tech/2016/02/15/king-5-first-local-tv-station-microsoft-surface-hub/80405250/

still not producing the surface hub fast enough..

Yeah, for sure price is huge. World is for sure not ready. Devs? Also, project, is it ready? Doubt it, will take time for this.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Why does it sound like MS is going to fuck up again

"When the world is ready"

75%20years%20later.jpg

Basically what I hear Microsoft saying is that they don't have a properly working product, no promised developer support, and no plans to release the thing in the foreseeable future. Once again they fail to be the leader in the market and will be left to release something while the market is already saturated and dominated by other companies. Come on Microsoft, aren't you tired of playing second fiddle to every other company? Don't miss the boat again like you did with Windows Phone.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!