Samsung Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge announced!

thexzenon
3 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Another thing, is there a waterproof usb-c port yet? Because that might be it.

Is there a reason why a waterproof port would be harder to make for USB-C? Asking cause I'm genuinely curious.

2 minutes ago, crisro996 said:

Is there a reason why a waterproof port would be harder to make for USB-C? Asking cause I'm genuinely curious.

i have no idea. I don't even know how exactly did they make micro waterproof. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

35 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

bigger battery, better screen to size ratio, less camera bump, ip68.

200 more mAh? Won't make much of a difference.

Screen to size ratio? Seriously? 70% on the LG G5 vs 72% on the S7? Not that big of a difference.

Camera bump? Both have it.

galaxy-s7-vs-lg-g5-quick-look-aa-7-1200x

I just didn't approve of the direction Samsung went for with the Galaxy S6 in the first place. The S7 is just what the S6 should have been in the first place.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Concerning the recent trend of no app drawer :

Perhaps the biggest change in the S7’s software is a new experimental feature, found in the ‘Galaxy Labs’ section of the phone’s Settings menu, that allows you to turn off the app drawer altogether. We saw this on the LG G5 a bit earlier today as well, so it seems like this is somewhat of a trend when it comes to third-party manufacturers’ skins. We’ve also heard from a few sources that Android N, the next major version of Google’s OS, will ditch the app drawer, so perhaps this is just Samsung getting a head start on the big change.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

such a boring device, nowhere near as exciting as the G5

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

9 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

200 more mAh? Won't make much of a difference.

Screen to size ratio? Seriously? 70% on the LG G5 vs 72% on the S7? Not that big of a difference.

Camera bump? Both have it.

galaxy-s7-vs-lg-g5-quick-look-aa-7-1200x

I just didn't approve of the direction Samsung went for with the Galaxy S6 in the first place. The S7 is just what the S6 should have been in the first place.

it will definitely make a difference since sammy is also rocking amoled panel, just wait and see, it will be complete destruction in battery tests.

s7 edge is also 3600 mAh so it's not even close in that front.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Ugh, totally don't like Edge variant, how everything slides away at sighs, ugh.

Either way, I'm thinking getting regular one, aiming for 128GB

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is disappointing.

The phone still has micro USB 2.0 connector...

All high-end Windows 10 Mobile phones are USB 3.0 Type-C, the latest Nexus device is on USB 3.0 Type C already.
I guess Samsung likes that the connector breaks to ensure people upgrade their phones.

What is interesting, is that I was talking 2 month ago with Samsung Gear VR (for work), and they said that the next Galaxy phone will most likely have a 4K display... I guess that didn't pan out as planned. Still 1 SIM card only

And to top things over, the camera is a downgrade. They claim that the sensor is larger, but the Lumia 950 / 950 XL has both, high resolution AND large sensor.

From what I can see here, Samsung decided to maximize profits by cutting corners

11 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

such a boring device, nowhere near as exciting as the G5

It's pretty gimmicky and looks worse than the S7. I don't know how many accessories it will have, but unless something really cool (not camera/speaker) comes out for it, it won't be such a great feature. It has a lot of potential, but can it live up to it?

Just now, Aniallation said:

It does have one.

Yea I corrected my post. Thanks thought.

Just now, ninninon said:

We'll wait and see.

why would we? it's not competing. how the fuck does it even matter?

Spoiler

Just now, ninninon said:

What rattled your cage eh?

stupid comments do that for me, hehe

Spoiler

1 minute ago, ninninon said:

Well in that case, you must of suffered multiple brain hemorrhages since being on LTT. And anyway, I wouldn't call it stupid at all, technology moves on at a ridiculous rate, you never know. 

a9x is a massive chip, again, it's as large as cpu in laptops is nowadays. not comparable to any phone chip. 

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, ZetZet said:

Another thing, is there a waterproof usb-c port yet? Because that might be it.

I'll say maybe on that one. Samsung can lean on prior designs with water-resistant micro B connectors. No real world implementations of water-resistant C connectors (as far as I know). The principles are obviously the same, but the physical design is different in many ways.

7 minutes ago, ninninon said:

Again, we'll wait. 

There's no waiting to be done. A9X is designed as a tablet chip with die size and TDP to match. A smartphone chip can't compete with that. That's why the A9 is trailing the A9X. Both 820 and 8890 will primarily be competing with A9. They might be able to beat A9X in some benchmarks but they'll be hard-pressed due to the size difference. 

I wished it had front facing speakers.

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

So they didn't go with their own CPU's this time. Not sure why.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

People who will be making roms and rooting software for the S7 will be happy.

The Asus UX305 has an Almighty Intel core M-5Y10 0.8GHZ, GPU Intel HD 5300 Windforce, SDD 120GB, Passively Cooled, 1920x1080 Matte Screen, An Fantastic ICEpower Audio Making my House Shake and Having more ports then a MacBook btw this not an advertisement.

looks like EU version will use exynos as predicted

including the Mali-T880 MP12 as GPU

Samsung doesn't always pick Exynos for those who are wondering. Some markets they opt for it, others they opt for SD because of the modems you get included (especially in North America, its less of a headache) 

Exynos itself isn't aways the best price. Samsung Semiconductor does not give Samsung Mobile any special pricing here, hence the splitting of variants across regions. 

This is a very solid update and should be a stellar flagship for Samsung, quite frankly for Android. People don't care about G5s or Nexus in the wild - Samsung is the face of Android and the S7 is a pretty nice face to have. 

13 minutes ago, Ramamataz said:

So they didn't go with their own CPU's this time. Not sure why.

They did. Just not in the US market. It's a bit weird that they are so quiet about it both considering that the 8890 is rumored to be better than the 820 on the CPU side, both single and multithreaded and at the same time, they're in Barcelona. So the US gets 820 and the rest gets 8890.

11 minutes ago, ninninon said:

The A8X was released Oct 2014, 1 year later, it was outperformed by the A9. The A9X was released Nov 11, 4 months later we have the Adreno 530. We just don't know, it's unlikely the 820 will beat the A9X, but I reckon it'll come pretty close.

The difference between the A8 and A8X was fairly small. The difference between the A9 and A9X is big. While the same architecture, you could with a bit of a stretch liken it to Polaris 10 and Polaris 11. Both based on the same but massive size difference and therefore performance too.

But I think I can give you a preview. Worse single threaded performance, probably a bit higher multithreaded due to the 2 vs 4/8 cores. The Adreno 530 is faster than the PowerVR chip in A9(X) but they'll be powering different resolutions and benchmarks will reflect that. Not sure about the Mali 880 in the 8890. The A9X will have much higher thermal headroom and will therefore not throttle. The 820s and 8890s probably will eventually.

Just now, Trixanity said:

I wonder why ? What's the point ? Their CPU is suppose to draw less power compared to the Snapdragons. 

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just now, Ramamataz said:

I wonder why ? What's the point ? Their CPU is suppose to draw less power compared to the Snapdragons. 

Probably LTE bands. I'm fairly certain Qualcomm makes the best modems in the business and they have the most amount of bands covered. So I think they're using 820s in the US for LTE compatibility reasons.

Possibly also marketing. Qualcomm is an American company and the Snapdragon brand is strong, particularly in the US. So there's that too.