The LG G5 is here.

Nineshadow
13 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

The power button is integrated into the fingerprint scanner (or vice versa I guess).

and it's on the back.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

29 minutes ago, Trixanity said:

It's only the volume buttons that have been moved to the side. The power button is integrated into the fingerprint scanner (or vice versa I guess).

I listen to music on my phone all the time so I use volume buttons a billion times per day. Very important to me. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

4 hours ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I can't be the only one who really likes the way this phone looks.

you're not alone fam

This is the phone i was waiting for! So much room for functionality, the magic slot remembers me my love affair with the sony erricson p910, i hope the DAC module is good as it may end up replacing my Mayflower DAC.

Definitely picking one up, so tired of waiting Sammy to stop licking Apple balls.

I'll have one with two batteries, thank you very much!

edit: really sad that this phone is this good, really wanted to pick up the Meizu MX5 Ubuntu edition :(

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Here it is compared to the Nexus 6P :

lg-g5-mwc-201602-20_1143vlad-savov.0.png

So I was right , the backs do look very similar :D

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

This phone looks alright, but why would you remove the app drawer I use that a lot I don't see why you would want to remove it, also is the phone still 5.5 inches as they make the display smaller?

I remember with my G3 it came with mcafee anti virus which could not be removed.

4 hours ago, ZetZet said:

not innovation, gimmick.

I really wonder if ive seen someone more biased against a product than you on this thread

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

4 minutes ago, Theo said:

I really wonder if ive seen someone more biased against a product than you on this thread

I have G2, my mother has G Flex 2, I loved G3 and G4. But this thing makes me sick. So yeah I am biased, I expected a good phone and got a turd.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

What a terible package by LG

Smaller battery because we love slim phones (and even samsung made thier bigger)

No app drawer because because it is only feature we hate in chinese phones

No OLED  screen well that is just sad from lg

No front speakers in baisc package

No wide lens in front camera

No extra software for added value...

But we have 2nd camera on back with wide angle

Dessign well in past I liked thier unique dessign especialy on lg g3 and g4 and v10 but this not saying it s ugly or beatiful but it looks to iphony to me with all those rounded and smooth edges

Sorry lg unless that thing is dirt cheap I m not seeing this as my or my suggested pick

56 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

-snip-

This week, will be a time for many people, where they see a new phone on monday and they really want it, but on wednesday or thursday, something that wows them even further, changes theyr mind. Of course, i presume the G5 will be unique as it is, now the S7/S7 Edge, it cant be said the same, since other phones have water proofing and its gaming oriented approach, wont beat Nvidias Shield or even Ios game creation prioritization from developers. Might as well get an Ipad/Shield Tv if i wanted to game hard. Also, you cant forget Acer Predator lineup. Its pretty much an S6, with S5 features, no big deal here.

Groomlake Authority

27 minutes ago, Qwerty2323 said:

What a terible package by LG

Smaller battery because we love slim phones (and even samsung made thier bigger)

No app drawer because because it is only feature we hate in chinese phones

No OLED  screen well that is just sad from lg

No front speakers in baisc package

No wide lens in front camera

No extra software for added value...

But we have 2nd camera on back with wide angle

Dessign well in past I liked thier unique dessign especialy on lg g3 and g4 and v10 but this not saying it s ugly or beatiful but it looks to iphony to me with all those rounded and smooth edges

Sorry lg unless that thing is dirt cheap I m not seeing this as my or my suggested pick

The battery isn't too small compared to previous ones. It's 200mAh less, come on. It's like..6% less battery. And you can get from 0 to 100% in basically 10 seconds, just as you could before. Also , you can get up to a 4000 mAh with that camera grip thingy. I reckon that's going to be great for traveling.

No app drawer is what Google is aiming for. Heck , it's even in the Galaxy S7 (although you have enable the "no app drawer" feature though) . LG just followed Google's principles. Do I like it? No... I don't think I do. But if I were to get such a device I'd put Nova Launcher on it anyway so I don't really care.

As far as AMOLED/OLED goes , it's a matter of preference. The displays LG uses on its phones are already spectacular. So are the ones that Samsung uses. It's just the preference of the user. Do you want colours that punch you in the face? Do you want a more accurate color representation with better outdoor brightness? You can't say that the displays on the latest LG smartphones have been nothing short of great. The one thing that OLED really has going for it is its ability to light up individual pixels and not the whole display. But LG has also done some work in that department.

Front facing speakers? Who is there to say there won't eventually be a front-facing speaker module?

No wide lens front camera...don't know how to feel about it. I mean , they had a dual front-facing camera setup on the LG V10. They didn't have any more space on this device it seems , but I'm okay with it. I'm not a selfie guy anyway.

And as far as extra software for added value , that seems to be the trend nowadays. Most people just want the stock Android experience. It's nothing a custom ROM won't fix though.

Just because it's made of metal and it's rounded it looks iphony to you? What? More than anything , this phone looks like a Nexus 6P on the back and a rounded LG G3/4 on the front. Oh , and it doesn't have antenna lines! Take that Apple.

impressive, but I'm guessing it won't come with stock android :(

overall I like it even tho the screen seems a bit cheap depending on lighting.

I really like the idea of modules and companion devices. That shows promise.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I think I'll stick with my low end Lumia 735, still does the job for me. I would get a Lumia 950XL if it weren't for Verizon pretty much making it impossible ( yeah fuck you Verizon ) and for me having no money/ putting most of my money towards some PC parts.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

If only it had front facing speakers. Then I might've considered it.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

1 hour ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

I think I'll stick with my low end Lumia 735, still does the job for me. I would get a Lumia 950XL if it weren't for Verizon pretty much making it impossible ( yeah fuck you Verizon ) and for me having no money/ putting most of my money towards some PC parts.

never understood wht americans stick so hard to the carrier they use even after admitting how much they suck

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

28 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

never understood wht americans stick so hard to the carrier they use even after admitting how much they suck

I am 15, I have no choice. Even then Verizon, even though they do over charged a LOT and restrict some phones, they do have some fantastic coverage. Also once I turn 16/17 I do plan on joining Googles Project Fi and getting a Nexus 5X or 6P ( depending on my current money situation ) since I do enjoy the looks and the way the phone feels.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I find the phone ugly, and I don't see why the battery has to come out, turning off the phone while you change accessories. The "Always on display", is nothing new. Lumia phones did this for ages. Microsoft calls it Glance screen. Shows you time and notification.

I honestly don't see why these accessories don't simply use the USB type C connector.

IMO, the top half looks really awesome but the bottom half looks ugly af. If you make it black at the top then make it completely black on the front.

@Nineshadow Why is it normal that this has a 1440p display? The way you wrote it sounded like it would be bad if it didn't have it and honestly, call me crazy but....

I prefer a 1080p display on 5.7" phones. OR EVEN 720p on 5" phones! It's so stupid that it's deterring me from buying one int the future.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

8 hours ago, EarthboundHero said:

If only it had front facing speakers. Then I might've considered it.

Oh come on... That's shallow! Speakers are speakers, you don't "have" to use them. there is a 3.5mm audio jack.

14 hours ago, ZetZet said:

I have G2, my mother has G Flex 2, I loved G3 and G4. But this thing makes me sick. So yeah I am biased, I expected a good phone and got a turd.

One of my friends got a G3 and it was real nice but IDK if he will get G5.

15 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

snip

I would pick the look of the 6P any day of the week. Too bad Microsoft doesn't design phones like this :(

17 hours ago, Nineshadow said:

and it's on the back.

Deal breaker

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I'll keep my G4, which in my opinion is the best looking LG G phone (not a fan of the G5 look). The modular design is unique, but also kinda a play to get you to spend more money on accessories.

No front firing speakers is kinda lame (but then you wouldn't have a reason to buy their Bang and Olufsen module). That's the only thing I miss from my old HTC One M7.

I also am not a fan of losing screen size, but maybe they are making room for a 5.7in+ (note size?) screen phone at the top of their range?

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

On 2/21/2016 at 9:53 PM, VerticalDiscussions said:

Just saw how to remove the bottom, you hold the power button and then apply a bit of force. 

The power button is the fingerprint sensor (like what some other posters have said) that button is just to release the bottom

On 2/21/2016 at 10:31 PM, GoodBytes said:

The "Always on display", is nothing new. Lumia phones did this for ages. Microsoft calls it Glance screen. Shows you time and notification.

I honestly don't see why these accessories don't simply use the USB type C connector.

I actually think that glance scvreen is more of the moto and nexus ambient display. intelligently waking the phone on to display infomation...this one i think is a more dumb approach that has the screeen on all the time. still some improvements must have been made considering its an ips so props to lg for that at least.

Using the USB Cconnector would have not allowed the phone to remain as slick as it can even with the additional DAC amp. also. Not a fan of assceories that connect using the bottom connector (like the DXO camera) feels like it will break eventually.

On 2/21/2016 at 0:01 AM, Nineshadow said:

Honestly , the front looks like a more rounded LG G3 to me. With 2.5D glass.

Glass seems to be curved towards the top only, LG has said its mostly for asthetic purposes with some ergonomic benefits

On 2/21/2016 at 0:14 AM, asim1999 said:

Disappointed that there is no app drawer

Also the fact that there is only a 2800 mAh battery 

On 2/21/2016 at 0:22 AM, Castdeath97 said:

So, they screwed up with the launcher..... WHY!

Its actually rumored that in Andriod N Google is removing the app drawer. Samsung has a similar feature in the S7 so it might be the companies helping ease consumers into it or trying to get ahead of google.

23 hours ago, Trixanity said:

By the way, anyone else chuckling at the irony of LG making that camera accessory with a huge hump on the back considering that they made fun of Apple's horrible battery case with a hump?

No, cause The hump actually there for a FUNCTIONAL purpose, to actually make the phone a little bit more handable when using the camera centric features.

22 hours ago, SurvivorNVL said:

Unibody, removable battery, optional module for Hi-Fi, looks pretty decent, reminds me and many others of a Nexus phone, and 4GB of ram.  

I don;t think it can be called unibody since its two parts but its still an accomplishment nonetheless

I like the front of the device, It reminds me of the AKA a little and has this somewhat futureristic look to it. The back could be better but props to theat metal mbody and yet retain a removable battery.

Their cameras have always been good but their facination with dual cameras...yea...i hope it goes away.

Overall I think it is an innovative phone in this current sea of rectangle slabs. Whether or not they gain traction remains to be seen. 

7 minutes ago, Ex14 said:

Using the USB Cconnector would have not allowed the phone to remain as slick as it can even with the additional DAC amp. also. Not a fan of assceories that connect using the bottom connector (like the DXO camera) feels like it will break eventually.

Glass seems to be curved towards the top only, LG has said its mostly for asthetic purposes with some ergonomic benefits

USB Type C connector holds very well. Also, with precision molding and cutting, they remove any gaps between the accessory and the device, and also, they could add 2 holes on the bottom sides as a retention clip, so that it really doesn't move.

7 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

USB Type C connector holds very well. Also, with precision molding and cutting, they remove any gaps between the accessory and the device, and also, they could add 2 holes on the bottom sides as a retention clip, so that it really doesn't move.

even if it did hold very well its still much better as in intergrated solution no? also i mean since they were going for the removable battery thing i guess at least they made something out of it haha

8 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

Oh come on... That's shallow! Speakers are speakers, you don't "have" to use them. there is a 3.5mm audio jack.

One of my friends got a G3 and it was real nice but IDK if he will get G5.

I would pick the look of the 6P any day of the week. Too bad Microsoft doesn't design phones like this :(

Deal breaker

Use a phone with them on the front and then tell me that. Back speakers are not the same as front speakers.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

app drawer is still there. LG is not pulling an Apple, they still give you the option