Caterpillar Releases Its Own Smartphone

ThePointblank

From Gizmodo and Android Police:

http://gizmodo.com/caterpillars-new-s60-is-the-first-smartphone-with-flir-1759685817

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/02/18/the-cat-s60-is-the-first-phone-with-a-flir-thermal-camera-built-in/

And the official presser:

http://www.catphones.com/en-gb/news/press-releases/cat-s60-announced-as-worlds-first-smartphone-with-integrated-thermal-camera

You know Caterpillar? The company renown for making construction machines such as this?

Cat_924G_in_use.jpg

And this?

Caterpillar_777D-II.jpg

Well, they launched a smartphone, of all things. Introducing the Cat S60:

nexus2cee_CbgIiGRW0AMSfIq-728x410.jpg

And like it's big machine brethren, the Cat S60 is designed to be ultra tough. The chassis is made from a die cast steel frame, is drop proof to 1.8m under MIL Spec 810G, and can operate under 16 ft of water for an hour(if you flip a couple of switches on the front).

On the hardware specifications side, the phone's specs are remarkably competitive:

4.7” HD 540 nits, capacitive multi-touch with auto wet finger & glove support, covered in Gorilla Glass 4

3800mAh Li-Ion battery

Underwater 13MP main camera with dual flash, 5MP front-facing camera

4G LTE

Snapdragon 617 Octa-core processor

32GB ROM

3GB RAM

GPS, assisted-GPS, Glonass, Chinese Beidou satellite network

Bluetooth, NFC, an FM radio tuner

Barometer and altimeter sensors

The phone runs Android Marshmallow. But the specs omit one key feature of the Cat S60: It also has a FLIR camera built into the phone. Yes, it has an infrared camera, built by FLIR right in the phone. The infrared camera is paired with a dedicated app, which has MSX technology (Multi Spectral Dynamic Imaging), and can do still images, video, and panorama shots. You can also adjust heat palettes; temperature spot meter; and min, max, and average temperature data in the app.

The phone costs $599 USD, and Caterpillar has not yet announced a launch date.

That looks super nice actually!

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Corsair AF120 - 2x Noctua NF-F12 - 3 x Noctua NF-S12

Dell S2417DG - Dell UH2515H 

want one, hope its rivals the old nokias though

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

7 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

Well, they launched a smartphone, of all things. Introducing the Cat S60:

This isn't their first device, they have been making smartphones for a while now 

1 minute ago, BarisERY said:

It looks cool but too thick and too unnececcary big for my pockets

it has a thermal camera though..

Long live Stalin, he loves you; sing these words, or you know what he’ll do!

Just now, BarisERY said:

explain how it's too thick? It looks no thicker than phones of two years ago?
Not meaning to come of confrontive. would just like to know your reasoning behind saying it is so thick?

See my Build here!

Intel 6700k -  Strix GTX 1080Ti - Corsair AX760 - Corsair Dominator 16GB 3000MHz - ASUS Maximus VIII Hero

Seagate Barracuda 1TB -  Samsung 120GB 840 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - Corsair H100i - Corsair Air 540 White -

Just now, Nic said:

This isn't their first device, they have been making smartphones for a while now 

I know they used to do large brick style phones.

See my Build here!

17 minutes ago, IAcKI said:

I know they used to do large brick style phones.

My stepdad has a smartphone of theirs, had it for about a year now.

As for it being thick...well it's a a Caterpillar, it's supposed to be study and workmen-proof.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

2 minutes ago, SirRoderick said:

My stepdad has a smartphone of theirs, had it for about a year now.

As for it being thick...well it's a a Caterpillar, it's supposed to be study and workmen-proof.

Ahh right!

This iteration doesn't look too thick though. Not considering how competitive it's specs are and the inclusion of an IR camera (Which would be insanely helpful at work). I really like the look of it and due to my hands in some sense being too big for my iPhone 6 Plus, the 'thickness' wouldn't be an issue. Looks no thicker than an iPhone 4 to me! I prefer function over thiness etc. On my galaxy s4 I used to have a large battery extension that almost tripled the thickness of the phone.

See my Build here!

Finally a smartphone that doesn't bend. kappa

Seriously though, I didn't know they made smartphones. I would love a smartphone that could take some abuse.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

23 minutes ago, deviant88 said:

How much can it lift bro?

About 11.75 linuses

For what you get in it, its a big middle finger to other phones at the same price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I. Want. This.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

3 hours ago, IAcKI said:

explain how it's too thick? It looks no thicker than phones of two years ago?
Not meaning to come of confrontive. would just like to know your reasoning behind saying it is so thick?

I dont wear pants i put my phone in between my butcheeks so it has to be as thin as possible for me to feel comfy, good enough for you?

OK I need to get one of these.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

a person i know bricked her cat phone by accidentally going in the pool with it even tough supposed to be water prof worst of all it was jut a couple weeks out of warranty. 

i must say i like the design finally something that doesn't look like an apple clone.

Like the previous iterations of this phone I like the the idea of it and am okay with most of its specs, but that processor just isn't good enough.  Single core performance is a max of 1.5GHz and, IMO, will likely be what ages the phone quickly in the field and relegate it to yet another slow & kludgy source of frustration for field techs long before their management authorizes a replacement.

Interested in the infrared and the waterproof. Put that in a note 6 and I'll buy it. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

5 hours ago, BarisERY said:

Yeah but it does have a 3800mah battery you know so it gets you through the day... and its not meant for someone who wants a slim slick phone its meant for thoes that buy otter box for there phones and such thick and heavy cases but then you dont get the nice sized battery with it 

57 minutes ago, michaelocarroll007 said:

Yeah but it does have a 3800mah battery you know so it gets you through the day... and its not meant for someone who wants a slim slick phone its meant for thoes that buy otter box for there phones and such thick and heavy cases but then you dont get the nice sized battery with it 

yes i do know all that i just said that i dont like thick phones,  come on people dont make a big deal out of my personal preference