Home Made Xbox?

Beeeyeee

Hey guys, just out of curiosity (and maybe a good video on my channel) is there a way to essentially build a computer, and make the xbox OS run on it? 

lots of you will be asking, whats the point? and honestly there is barely any practicality to this but heres my reason. if this were possible, you could easily hit all of the right frame rates and resolutions. (Fallout loves to stutter, Halo 5 can dip in resolution during super intense moments, etc.) my main concern though, is that I can play with my friends. yes I know I can't get max graphics and framerates, but it really bugs me how laggy the OS is because its run on a hard drive, games can have way long load times and such. mainly it'll be a fun project.

9 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

Hey guys, just out of curiosity (and maybe a good video on my channel) is there a way to essentially build a computer, and make the xbox OS run on it? 

lots of you will be asking, whats the point? and honestly there is barely any practicality to this but heres my reason. if this were possible, you could easily hit all of the right frame rates and resolutions. (Fallout loves to stutter, Halo 5 can dip in resolution during super intense moments, etc.) my main concern though, is that I can play with my friends. yes I know I can't get max graphics and framerates, but it really bugs me how laggy the OS is because its run on a hard drive, games can have way long load times and such. mainly it'll be a fun project.

On a PS3 you can drop in an SSD and re-download the OS from their website. It then installs from a USB, like Windows would on a modern PC. Surely the Xbox console supports this too?

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

3 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

Xbox's OS is meant to run on their specific hardware. They use a custom APU. You would also need to find a copy of the OS somewhere (duplicate XBOX HDD?) If you can get a copy of the os, and be able to re-write the code to function on a separate GPU+CPU, and work with all of the drivers (usb, video card, etc...) then there is nothing stopping you. I would recommend going with a AMD APU solution for your CPU, as it is most like what the XBOX uses. It's also probably illegal (software and copyright-wise) but who cares when you're having fun!

Yes/no

The CPU and GPU in the XBox was made specifically for the xbox, now yes you could run the same OS its running on, If its compatible with an Intel or AMD CPU

which up front

Im going to tell you this will not work because of these reasons
1) The CPU and GPU archatecture that the Xbox was made of of is made specially for Xbox 360 System Software

2) A CPU that could mimic the Xbox's is a Xeon 1231 but no dice, because it cant run on Intels architecture and the ips is either significantly higher or lower. 

3) In theory there are no components that could match up with the Xbox's because it was made again specifically for the Xbox, Even if you looked at clock to clock, it'd be impossible to replicated the architecture. 

Just now, burnttoastnice said:

On a PS3 you can drop in an SSD and re-download the OS from their website. It then installs from a USB, like Windows would on a modern PC. Surely the Xbox supports this too?

the xbox's hard drive is internal, not accessable like a plyastation. though i'm sure I could open it up, take the hard drive, then go to my computer and somehow copy the OS. though it has a weird file system. the copy that to an ssd and hopefully itll work.

2 minutes ago, Beeeyeee said:

the xbox's hard drive is internal, not accessable like a plyastation. though i'm sure I could open it up, take the hard drive, then go to my computer and somehow copy the OS. though it has a weird file system. the copy that to an ssd and hopefully itll work.

you'd still need to make the whole you know, Xbox OS install, much like windows, so it will you know, install the OS and become readable by the system as well 

Just now, Beeeyeee said:

Sounds completely doable :) You might need to image the disk though for it to work. Your ssd would also need to be the same size as the hdd or larger

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Your problem is probably going to be drivers, firmware, microcode, etc. It's likely the OS is designed only to work with that low level code.

15 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

2) A CPU that could mimic the Xbox's is a Xeon 1231 but no dice

Isn't the closest thing to the APU in the Xbox One like 2 AMD 5350s and a R7 260?

2 minutes ago, pokechat8978 said:

Isn't the closest thing to the APU in the Xbox One like 2 AMD 5350s and a R7 260?

well, its pretty much impossible to tell exactly because we cant look at the components via a score in like, Cinebench or like , 3D Mark firestrike

but the speed of the 1231 is much closer, exact @ 3.4GHz and 4 cores (the xbox has 3.2GHz and 3 cores)  which given the 1 core 2 thread difference,

Not sure about the GPU though... not sure that the 260 could run GTA 5 

8 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

well, its pretty much impossible to tell exactly because we cant look at the components via a score in like, Cinebench or like , 3D Mark firestrike

but the speed of the 1231 is much closer, exact @ 3.4GHz and 4 cores (the xbox has 3.2GHz and 3 cores)  which given the 1 core 2 thread difference,

I bet your PC would make a good xbox at 5.1ghz

PEWDIEPIE DONT CROSS THAT BRIDGE

11 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

Yes/no

The CPU and GPU in the XBox was made specifically for the xbox, now yes you could run the same OS its running on, If its compatible with an Intel or AMD CPU

which up front

Im going to tell you this will not work because of these reasons
1) The CPU and GPU archatecture that the Xbox was made of of is made specially for Xbox 360 System Software

2) A CPU that could mimic the Xbox's is a Xeon 1231 but no dice, because it cant run on Intels architecture and the ips is either significantly higher or lower. 

3) In theory there are no components that could match up with the Xbox's because it was made again specifically for the Xbox, Even if you looked at clock to clock, it'd be impossible to replicated the architecture. 

thats why I fear it won't work. maybe i'll try replacing the Hard drive instead of this project. much more realistic anyway..

Heres another thing. what if you took the Xbox One and installed windows on it.

6 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

According to ExtremeTech, it's a Bonaire GPU core with 12 CUs/768 Shaders, which is a R7 260.

Since it uses a Jaguar architecture CPU, it would more than likely be a 5150 or 5350.

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/156273-xbox-720-vs-ps4-vs-pc-how-the-hardware-specs-compare

13 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

i'm actually talking about the Xbox One it has 8 cores at about 1.75Ghtz and 8GB DDR3 2133, 853Mhtz 768 Shader cores 1.31 TFlops GPU

9 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

i'm actually talking about the Xbox One it has 8 cores at about 1.75Ghtz and 8GB DDR3 2133, 853Mhtz 768 Shader cores 1.31 TFlops GPU

For the Xbox One, it's pretty much two AMD Athlon 5350s tied ass to ass with a 7790.

You'd be best off getting an FX-8320e and underclocking it to 2.0GHz.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

19 hours ago, Beeeyeee said:

Heres another thing. what if you took the Xbox One and installed windows on it.

For someone with 400+ Posts on a Tech forum i would of expected a much better understanding on why you cant build your own xbox and why you cant install full windows on one Realistically its not something you can spend a week or two and do. There's a reason people build emulators and not just run the systems OS.

but  in some fairness these are the closest to PC any consoles have really been but still if it was easy as copying the HDD and turning the computer on you defiantly would of seen some news on this. Microsoft would not make it that easy due to being scared of priated games and many other reasons console makers want there systems locked down  

19 hours ago, Ronnie76 said:

that was the xbox 360 and you cant directly compare clocks like that from years apart and different architectures it does not work like that the Xeon 1231 v1-3 is way more powerful then the 360 processor. Same reason an 4 core i5 6600k at 4GHZ is not slower then a AMD 8350 8 Core at 5GHZ

On 14/02/2016 at 8:29 PM, Beeeyeee said:

SNIP

Not possible

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

On February 15, 2016 at 9:24 AM, michaelocarroll007 said:

For someone with 400+ Posts on a Tech forum i would of expected a much better understanding on why you cant build your own xbox and why you cant install full windows on one Realistically its not something you can spend a week or two and do. There's a reason people build emulators and not just run the systems OS.

but  in some fairness these are the closest to PC any consoles have really been but still if it was easy as copying the HDD and turning the computer on you defiantly would of seen some news on this. Microsoft would not make it that easy due to being scared of priated games and many other reasons console makers want there systems locked down  

Sometimes it's just to have fun bud. You don't have to be so serious about everything. I mainly posted this just to learn some stuff and have fun:) you should try it sometime

12 hours ago, FmPhenom said:

Why do people keep posting this question??????????

ignorance?

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii