Warning to anyone from the UK buying from overseas.

kierden

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else knows this (I might be the only stupid one) but if you're buying a PC part from outside the UK, it will be taxed when coming in.

I bought a Swiftech H220 a few weeks ago as they are hard to get hold of in the UK and it seemed quite cheap considering it had to be delivered too. Anyway, it was delivered today but before I could accept it I had to pay a tax charge of £38!

Not too sure if anybody knows or has be stung by the taxman!

Cheers,

Kieren

Yeah that happens, luckily stuff that comes from somewhere in the rest of the EU doesn't get that hard with it, but things from the US I know get quite badly affected ... The U.K truly sucks sometimes. :P 

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone else knows this (I might be the only stupid one) but if you're buying a PC part from outside the UK, it will be taxed when coming in.

I bought a Swiftech H220 a few weeks ago as they are hard to get hold of in the UK and it seemed quite cheap considering it had to be delivered too. Anyway, it was delivered today but before I could accept it I had to pay a tax charge of £38!

Not too sure if anybody knows or has be stung by the taxman!

Cheers,

Kieren

Of course you have to pay tax!

I'm surprised that they didn't add duties to it.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

This should be obvious, sorry. Of course you have to pay taxes for stuff you import, unless you buy from within the EU of course

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

if you carry it into the country though, you can (not will, but can) get away with it!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

i never order from oversea's, the tax is stupid

~james

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

if you carry it into the country though, you can (not will, but can) get away with it!

do you mean going to america for example, buying it and putting it in your luggage???

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

do you mean going to america for example, buying it and putting it in your luggage???

i don't obviously mean going there for that lone purpose, but if you knew someone going there, or were on holidays etc. you get me!

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

i don't obviously mean going there for that lone purpose, but if you knew someone going there, or were on holidays etc. you get me!

yeah yeah that could work ^^

Dell XPS 15 9560 - Nikon Z5 - Galaxy S10+

You only get taxed if it's not sent as a "gift" ;)

Ask the seller if they will mark it as a gift before you buy. It will still be insured etc, it's just one little box they have to check :)

Big companies likely wont comply as their mail is payed for in advance (or with an ID of some kind) as goods sold.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

You only get taxed if it's not sent as a "gift" ;)

Ask the seller if they will mark it as a gift before you buy. It will still be insured etc, it's just one little box they have to check :)

Big companies likely wont comply as their mail is payed for in advance (or with an ID of some kind) as goods sold.

That's actually not true. They can still tax you and charge duties.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Yeah, I bought a bag from the US imported to Denmark, t'was expensive

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

That's actually not true. They can still tax you and charge duties.

What part isn't true? I've done it countless times now.

You guys are crazy. You know you guys are self-destructive. There's a funny farm somewhere and it's got your names written all over it. But I'm gettin' outta here.

What part isn't true? I've done it countless times now.

You said that you're only taxed if it's not sent as a gift. Which is not true. They still can tax you if it's a gift.

15" MBP TB

I've yet to be taxed on an import since we worked it out. It has to be sent specifically as a "gift" though. I could send someone something as a genuine present, but if i don't state that through whichever shipping method i use it will almost certainly get taxed.

IF you are technically correct... well it just doesn't matter because I'm telling you what actually happens. Not that i think you would know anyway seeing as you live in Canada and the goods are taxed on the recipients side (UK in this case).

I've yet to be taxed on an import since we worked it out. It has to be sent specifically as a "gift" though. I could send someone something as a genuine present, but if i don't state that through whichever shipping method i use it will almost certainly get taxed.

IF you are technically correct... well it just doesn't matter because I'm telling you what actually happens. Not that i think you would know anyway seeing as you live in Canada and the goods are taxed on the recipients side (UK in this case).

Just because I'm not from your country doesn't mean I don't know. :)

2.4 Gifts

Goods sent as a gift that are over £40* in value are liable to import VAT Customs duty also becomes payable if the value of the goods is over £135 but is waived if the amount of duty calculated is less than £9.

*Please note this limit will reduce to £36 with effect from 1 January 2013.

To qualify as a gift:

• the customs declaration must be completed correctly
  • the gift must be sent from a private person outside the EU to a private person(s) in this country
  • there is no commercial or trade element and the gift has not been paid for either directly or indirectly by anyone in the UK
  • the gift is of an occasional nature only, for example, for a birthday or anniversary

Note: if you purchase something from outside the EU to give as a gift to a relative or friend, whether or not addressed to that person, it is treated as a ‘commercial consignment’ for which the import VAT relief threshold in paragraph 2.3 applies.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageLibrary_PublicNoticesAndInfoSheets&propertyType=document&columns=1&id=HMCE_CL_000014#P55_5016

15" MBP TB