iOS Date & Time Bug Bricks 64 bit Apple Devices

eyecantseeover24fps

http://deliddedtech.com/2016/02/12/ios-date-time-bug-bricks-64-bit-apple-devices/

Users have recently uncovered a rare bug that can brick an iPod, iPhone, or iPad. The bug is known to effect iOS devices that contain A7, A8, A9, and A9X chipsets. All versions of the OS are affected. 

This bug involves an error with unix time rendering iOS devices unable to boot. Many people on the web are attempting to trick others into replicating the bug to brick their device. Be careful!

1 minute ago, MeshFile said:

Inb4 users gets error 53 when they eagerly update iOS to avoid that bug.

As far as I know, error 53 only occurs when you attempt hardware repairs on the device. From what I hear, it's an anti-tampering "feature", that ended up screwing over small repair companies. Of course, nobody knows Apple's true intents.

There is no fix available currently, however it's likely they will patch it soon.

not a bug, you really do get the retro macintosh theme if you set the date to jan 1st 1970 and reboot ', quick! do it now!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

It says the iPad Air 2 is known to be affected but not the A8X.

Which is it?!

Oh lol. Cant we do something about Android aswell :p? Would be a lot funnier tough, millions of people losing theyr devices, just because of datetime.

Groomlake Authority

2 hours ago, LukeTim said:

Which is it?!

iPad Air 2 is the only device to use the A8X so it doesn't matter either way.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

5 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

iPad Air 2 is the only device to use the A8X so it doesn't matter either way.

That was kinda my point. If it definitely affects the A8X, then it must affect the Air 2. If it definitely doesn't affect the A8X, then it cannot affect the Air 2. It can't affect one and not the other.

Also it doesn't only affect the A7, A8, A9, and A9X chipsets but all 64bit iOS devices.

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

How do you like that "unibody" design now? lel

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

6 hours ago, patrick3027 said:

Also it doesn't only affect the A7, A8, A9, and A9X chipsets but all 64bit iOS devices.

The a7, A8, A8x A9, and A9x chipsets are all 64 bit CPUs, whereas the older ones are 32 bit.

9 hours ago, LukeTim said:

Which is it?!

The Apple A8X is a 64 bit CPU, so it is affected, and therefore the iPad Air 2 is affected.

14 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Oh lol. Cant we do something about Android aswell :p? Would be a lot funnier tough, millions of people losing theyr devices, just because of datetime.

The bug shouldn't affect too many people. It requires a very bizarre set of steps to replicate, its not something you come across on accident. Only way I can see it causing issues is people trying to brick others phones(who knows why), or tricking users into bricking phone.